• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I finally took the plunge

Lumberg

Opus Lover
I was at Wal-Mart and I was going to buy a couple tupperware containers to take care of my overflow and then I went by the cooler area. A 2.4 gal Rubbermaid container was like $7 but a 38 quart (9.5 gallon) cooler was like $10. No brainer there.

Now all I need is some Climmax media!

Anybody have any small amounts to spare? I want to do an experiment to figure out which humidity my sticks like better (65 vs 70).

JC

You should have went over to the craft dept and got some wet florist foam and a small tuperware container, put the foam in the tuper ware, drill some holes in the top of the tuperware soak it in water ,and you would be set.

aaaaah....craft department. I went to the lawn and garden dept.

IDOT! <bangs head on table>

IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT

You know, I did the floral foam, 2 4x4x2 tupperware containers, drilled the holes,soaked the foam in 50/50 . Put them in my 5 cubic foot freezador. Had to open the door on a daily basis as it got around 80 RH. Took one tupperware out and same thing. Cut the foam in half in the remaining container and now I am at about 75 RH. Too much juice I guess. But I got tired of it and ordered a pound of crystals since I have had perfect results with them in my 300 count humie. Beads are the way to go IMHO.

Lumberg, congrats on the new cooler. I've had a 176 qt cooler going for several years to handle any and all overflow of my cigars. Damn thing has never let me down. I've been using floral foam with a 50/50 solution since I got it and have never had any problems.

tschoon said:
You know, I did the floral foam, 2 4x4x2 tupperware containers, drilled the holes,soaked the foam in 50/50 . Put them in my 5 cubic foot freezador. Had to open the door on a daily basis as it got around 80 RH. Took one tupperware out and same thing. Cut the foam in half in the remaining container and now I am at about 75 RH. Too much juice I guess. But I got tired of it and ordered a pound of crystals since I have had perfect results with them in my 300 count humie. Beads are the way to go IMHO.
Don't soak the foam. 50/50 will absorb moisture from the air provided that it has some place to store it. If the foam is soaked, it cannot absorb moisture. Also, as I have learned from experimenting, larger bricks of foam doe not mean better regulation. They just take longer to dry out, which means less fuss (one would think). But if you take the brick and slice it in half, you have twice as much surface area. So theoretically it would react to changes in RH twice as fast (I am sure someone can provide scientific evidence to debunk this theory). But I do know that when I increased the surface area of my foam (when I used foam), that my humis was rock steady.

Emo

I agree. AFTER the fact I realized I should not have soaked them. I did cut in half and even tried to dry with a hair dryer. With 50/50, more is not neccessarily better!!

This is the begging of the end for you Lumberg. You must fill it to capacity with 5 business days or it will self destruct.

Congrats on taking the plunge and buying a cooler! You're in trouble now... LOL! As for your humidification needs it's really personal preference as both beads and 50/50 work well when set-up and maintained properly. However... for ME, there is no choice... I ONLY TRUST MY CIGARS TO CLIMMAX 65% MEDIA!!! They are easy to set-up, easy to maintain and always work to my satisfaction.

Aloha,

Wade

Your next step is to the 150 quart coolers my friend. :D

38 quart?!?

Wow, I thought I wimped out by only buying a 100 quart cooler!! :p

Lumberg, that 38 quart cooler will fill up in no time. Use that one for beer and go buy a 150 quart job!! :D

And, go with th 65 RH beads, don't waste your time with experiments. :thumbs:

I agree with Fast4dr. Here is my 5 cubic foot freezador after only 3 weeks!!
Freezador

Go bigger. Save the little one for beverages!!

Man y'all are pimping those phat coolerz! LOL

Seriously, I went on a buying binge a while ago and I am looking to whittle down my inventory and start developing a few types that are going to be my go-to sticks.

Right now Opus X is one and JR Ultimate Cabinet Sungrowns are another.

I have soooo many nice cigars to try out: a Trinidad ISOM, Ashton VSG, WOAM, among others, that I need to get on the ball. It' salmost like work, when I feel like having a cigar I can't just grab one I know I like, I have to try one of the singles and evaluate it!

Ahh it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it!

Man, the Coolidor and Freezidor pix are great!

There has been talk of a former picture posting gallery that existed prior to the Big Bang at CP.......

....any chance for a new gallery of collections such as these?

I am still waiting for the Spanish cedar to arrive. Got 1/4" slats on eBay for a total of $9. They will cover it all inside. When done, I will send pic of " My completed project". Those who have been around awhile have helped me, made great suggestions and I feel they helped build it.

Stay tuned!!

Oh yah, like the idea of a photo gallery.

I've had a 100Qt cooler going for 3-4 years now. PG50/50 in floral foam in a soap dish. The key, however is the Spanish Cedar. You've got to have a good lining to regulate the humidity changes when you open the cooler. Also, since coolers seal much better than humidors (which are porous), you will have to make sure you open it up every month at a minimum and let it air out. Otherwise, you get a little bit of an amonia smell.

Good luck