• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I got the best and the worst cigars in one order

hott_mic

Banned
Today I just got my highly anticipated order from CI.... my Opus X sampler pack of four which I must say is THE sweetest, sweetest smelling, beautiful piece of tobacco I have ever seen or smelled (in my three orders I've placed so far) LOL , great construction, no flaws and it's almost bittersweet to have got them because it came in such a nice box and they look and smell too great to smoke with a clear conscience, and I will now have to get a hold of some more just so I won't feel so guilty to smoke these, now without even smoking them I see what all the fuss is about with these Opus X and I will be ordering some more in the very near future, if I can find some, which is almost impossible unless you wanna pay an arm and a leg RYJ, . I also got a few singles, some nice one's Cohiba, RP etc. but nothing that knocked me off my feet like the Opus.... again, such a sweet sweet piece of artwork, a collectors item almost..... am I just making too big a deal out of this?
I also got my Gurkha 20 cigar grab bag sampler, whiich they all were nice well constructed and smelled......GREAT!..... OK, OK... I AM LYING. Honestly I am really pissed, just about every stick is falling apart in some way, there are even a couple that look like they have some kind of black patches made of some kind of dark wrapper, a few caps fell off by just taking them out of the cellophane wrapper, a few were cracked at the head and a lot of the feet were peeled back, also found what looked like a couple of holes, and the smell, OMG!! the smell, I can't quite put my finger on it.... but you know how sweet, nice, and flavorful the Opus X smells? Just imagine the opposite, they all have some kind of dark powder or something on them, the smell is.... if I had to describe it, just SERIOUS.... a serious smell if that makes any sense, I guess the best comparison would be a dirty mop that dried out and was cut up and wrapped up in used toilet paper..... ok well maybe not the used toilet part, but it's is some kind of musty foreign smell that doesn't belong on a cigar. I can't stand the smell and wouldn't even think about smoking them, I have read some posts on here about Gurkha and how nasty they taste but I figured I would have to try for myself, has anyone else felt the same way about this?

Send em back CI is pretty good about it. Next time you want Gurkha's just go to the local gas station ;)

Shoot dude...get your money back on the Gurkha sampler. Call them mothas up and let them know their sampler looked like crap!

Yes, I will. I hear CI is pretty good about that, I know Cbid has great customer service and they are part of CI so I'm sure it will be the same. Will send em' back A- SAP and next time I want to try a Gurkha... oh wait, there probably won't be a next time unless somebody tells me I gotta try a certain one then maybe. I was just so damn disappointed because that was the bulk of my order and I was looking forward to letting some cigars get some time in the humi, I would rather smoke the Haji Cubans they got here in the sandbox.... really, have any of you tried Gurkhas?

Is anyone familiar with the rest of their samplers?

I was checking a few out and it seemed like a decent way to try out a few new brands.

Prices seemed reasonable but if the quality is off what are you really saving?

Thanks.

Is anyone familiar with the rest of their samplers?

I was checking a few out and it seemed like a decent way to try out a few new brands.

Prices seemed reasonable but if the quality is off what are you really saving?

Thanks.

Yessss.. exactly, that's why I got the sampler in the first place, to try a few new sticks... and the sales pitch is so damn good too.... Gurkah in all the advertisment they stress that they are a boutique cigar but on their way to being major because of their quality.... I am not sure if it's just this one batch but they are nothing near the quality they say. I have a few more pieces on the way not a sampler so I guess we'll see, if the others are like these I don't even think I am gonna bother putting them in my Humi, they might infect my other sticks with that god awful stench.

I have had a few Gurkha's that I have really liked, and some that were so-so. But I have never had or seen one with major construction flaws. It might have been that the sampler was bagged up a while ago and has seen some rough handling. Send them back, give CI a chance to make it right, and if you still don't like them, let it be because they were not your smoke, not just a shipping and handling screw-up

Tim

I have had a few Gurkha's that I have really liked, and some that were so-so. But I have never had or seen one with major construction flaws. It might have been that the sampler was bagged up a while ago and has seen some rough handling. Send them back, give CI a chance to make it right, and if you still don't like them, let it be because they were not your smoke, not just a shipping and handling screw-up

Tim

Yeah, you are probably right about the handling, Like I said I have a few 5 packs and a couple of other Gurkha sticks on the way and I will give those a chance, but if I am not impressed with those sticks I am done. They also did send them in a ziplock without any humidification pack.

Just dropped CI a letter...... I previously placed an order with you on 2-24-08 everything in the order was fine and of great quality except the Gurkha sampler, it was sent with no type of humidification in a ziplock bag, the quality was very poor, the majority of the sticks had some kind of damage on them, mostly on the feet and head, some of the cigars seemed to have patches on them and a few were also cracked. I will please ask that I either receive store credit or a full refund as I am no longer interested in any kind of Gurkha brand cigars due to this experience, not only the construction but the aroma coming from the cigars was not pleasant to say the least. Thank You in advance, Sincerely MH

I've mostly heard that Gurkhas are overpriced and overrated, so I have never sought them out or even had the desire to try one. I'd certainly light one up if handed to me, just to see if there really is anything special about these. But I'd be much happier with the other smokes you described in your order. Stick with the RP and Fuentes! :D

I've mostly heard that Gurkhas are overpriced and overrated, so I have never sought them out or even had the desire to try one. I'd certainly light one up if handed to me, just to see if there really is anything special about these. But I'd be much happier with the other smokes you described in your order. Stick with the RP and Fuentes! :D

The official Gurkha price guide:
1. Roughly 10% of Gurkha cigars are actually identifiable on line so grab a "good" cigar and settle in.
2. If lucky enough to actually ID the one you have, divide the MSRP by your age and that the is what it's worth
3. If you can't ID it, light it, put it in your dogs mouth, pinch his nose, and rub his belly, if he doesn't puke it's worth $3

1. Roughly 10% of Gurkha cigars are actually identifiable on line so grab a "good" cigar and settle in.
2. If lucky enough to actually ID the one you have, divide the MSRP by your age and that the is what it's worth
3. If you can't ID it, light it, put it in your dogs mouth, pinch his nose, and rub his belly, if he doesn't puke it's worth $3

:laugh: ....So true. I can't believe the prices that they put on those rockets.

Yeah, of the few cigars I have smoked so far the RP's are really good, and am so looking forward to the Opus Line, so todays order was not all bad, the other stick seem good but they were all overshadowed by the affect the Opus sampler had on me... it's all I can see now. LOL.

:laugh: ....So true. I can't believe the prices that they put on those rockets.

:laugh:
Damn, you guys are tough. I've only had three or four and enjoyed them all. Especially the Fuerte.

yeah give gurkha a break. they are over priced and never come in any amount that a normal "box" would come in but some are decent smokes. the Triple ligero is good after a steak and the vintage estate shaggy is a good mild smoke for a newbie starter
though i have graduated up from gurkha i still have some in my humi

Well I sure hope they taste better than they look and smell ..... Look at the great construction of these bad boys, this is beyond shipping, it looks like they tried to patch up a bicycle tire.
IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

I actually really enjoy Gurkha's, all the ones I have are in fine condition. I ordered a Gurkha sampler from Tampa Humidor a while back which was great because you don't have to pay the normal Gurkha prices and they are shipped with humidification.

The only Gurkha I didn't like was the Platinum, the one infused with cognac. They might as well have dipped it in the whiskey it was so soggy when I took it out of the tube.

But really.... does anyone know what that black patch on the foot is? It really does look like a patch.

But the day was not a total loss, Got a RP edge lite that smells like chocolate heaven, a beautiful pressed RyJ Viejo C, Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic, and a couple others I am looking forward to trying out, and other than a knick on the foot of the Pepin all are in great condition, maybe that's why they are the big names of the business. And of course the Opus X blew my mind, plus the humidor from CI was also better than I expected. Has anyone tried these? What are they like?
IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

the RyJ Viejo that i had was very tasty the only RyJ nc i like

I just got these from Cbid, they MSRP at $18 USD a pop, and I got 5 for $30. THey're sealed indefinitely until you pop em out of their glass tube, so I pray these are good to go:

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=542362

Hope you get your clams back or better sticks from CI....

Well let me know how they are, I am just hoping it was a bad batch because I have a few more lots on the way and two 8 year Legends that are part of another sampler, so if I try a couple and don't like there will be some trades going on.

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=542096
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=542358