• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I have a humidor temperature confession...

badhangover

I see many threads querying of the dreaded beetle outbreak possibility for cigar storage above 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Well, I gotta confess - my cigars are often stored above that temperature milepost. Knock on wood, I've never had a beetle outbreak. I don't freeze newly acquired cigars either (although I do quarantine them for a month or two).

I live in Southern California. Land of warm and arid climate. I was fortunate to purchase an Avallo DDD cabinet humidor from a fellow enthusiast some time back. Not one of the snazzy relatively new cooled models. I wish it was. But, hey, the price was good. No, it was great. It was win/win for both of us. I was thus able to empty out the inventory from my wine refrigerators and use them for... wine.

I run my A/C during the oppressively hot periods. But not all the time. Even when it is on, it's not set to "Siberian wintertime" cold, and the cigars still may stay above 70 degrees. Let's say, up to a high of about 74 degrees or so. A couple of degrees higher during short periods of extreme circumstances.

I regularly inspect my stock for both beetles and mold. Even if that just means taking a good peek inside individual boxes while digging out cigars for my weekly supply (often kept in smaller humidors). I thoroughly inspect my entire stock at least quarterly.

I say again, knock on wood, no beetle problems here. I'm not trying to shatter any beetle myths here. I believe it to be a true concern and it is a constant concern to me. But it's no longer an obsession to me. Over time, I have learned to rely on actual taste, feel and sight over over any hygrometer/temperature display (although I still use several of them throughout my cabinet) as a barometer of proper storage conditions. In truth, this thread/post could easily be applied to humidity as well. Except I can and do control that with far greater ease than I can affect the ambient temperature.

Don't get me wrong, it's on my Santa list to procure a similarly sized cooled model cabinet so I can shake the last of my nagging concerns of my cigars' long term well being. But the shift from wine refrigerators to what is essentially a big ol' desktop humidor has ebbed my obsession about strict temperature control.

I'm curious how many others have had their storage above the dreaded 70 degrees for significant portions of the year(s) without suffering any beetle outbreaks.

I keep my house at 75º in the summer, 73º in the winter. And, well, my humidor lives in my house. I've never had a beetle problem either.

I think 77-78º is probably more of a danger zone when it comes to beetle hatch, and even then, only when it stays there awhile. I also tend to think it's more of a problem with CC, since I'm told most of the NC manufacturers freeze-treat their cigars before shipping.

~Boar

I'm in Texas and also had the heat worries...hovering right up to 82F. Luckily no outbreaks. I eventually opted for a Vinotemp so I could sleep at night.

I move my humis into the master bedroom closet in the summertime here in Texas. It is a good 3-4 degrees cooler in there than in the rest of the house.

I'm in the same boat. In the summer here in AZ there's nothin below 70*. Not even icecream :laugh: I live 30 miles from water and 3 feet from hell here in the summer. :thumbs: Never had a beetle yet (knock on humidor wood) :thumbs:

My cooler (one of the 5 day types) was sitting un-airconidioned in my bedroom for two days, so it got up to 75-76. Right now, I put some ice in a duo of freezer bags on top of an empty box, and have it sitting in there. It's only a quart bag, so it's taking a while, but I figure once I get it down to 65 or so, it should stay there a while...seeing as it's a cooler. :laugh: As my dad says, better safe than sorry.

I was fretting over my humidor the past two days because in Jersey, it suddenly shot up to 88 degrees. As I'm still at home at the moment, my parents opt to conserve money and didn't turn on the air conditioning until this afternoon, which meant my room and humidor were around 80 degrees; even at the bottom of the closet the humidor sat in the high 70s.

*Crosses fingers*

I'm definitely planning to invest in a vinotemp when I move out and have the funds.

I live in the southeast an a few years ago I had some beettles, and had to freeze all of the cigars. In the summer I kept the house at 70 deg. as a safe measure, but it gets expensive and the wife complains that is too cold. Just purchased a wine cooler, that is the cheapest and best way to go.

These hot days have got my humi to up 76, so I've tucked it in a closet, but I think a vino is going to be the way to go, but I really want the pretty cabinet humi. Choices choices...

These hot days have got my humi to up 76, so I've tucked it in a closet, but I think a vino is going to be the way to go, but I really want the pretty cabinet humi. Choices choices...

You could drop a few thousand on a vinotemp cigar mate...problems solved :D

You could drop a few thousand on a vinotemp cigar mate...problems solved :D

Excellent idea.

Now accepting donations.....

Did find some 12 bottles on ebay for $49.99 with free shipping. Might grab a pair.