• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I just sped up my internet connection!

Lumberg

Opus Lover
Hey guys my DNS server went down so I did a little research and this is what I did:

I ran a tracert on every IP from 4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.9 (7,8,9 were unreachable) and picked the one with the least # of hops and made that my primary DNS server. Then the second least # of hops became my secondary. Now pages load faster than ever!

for the record the least # for me was .1 with 8 hops.

uuuuuuuuh, you're talking in a foreign language to me there lumby, I'l have to PM you and get some more details.

I hope you don't mind explaining it to a dummy like me :D

It should apply to any broadband connection.

Note:

if you do not know what DNS is, or how to change those settings, or how to run a traceroute, DON'T mess with your computer! I don't want to see y'all disappear!

DNS = Domain Naming Services.

It translates a name into a number. For instance cigarpass.com has a IP (Internet Protocol) address of: 66.98.166.87. We just type www.cigarpass.com, DNS is the machine that translates a name into a number, so we dont have to remember the decimel format.

Your ISP provides DNS also, some are slow. I believe there are 8 root DNS servers that are like masters and your ISP gets its records from them. I dont see anything wrong with using a root server for DNS, but at some point they can get overloaded with requests in which case it makes more sense to use your ISP's DNS server.

Ludwig said:
DNS = Domain Naming Services.

It translates a name into a number. For instance cigarpass.com has a IP (Internet Protocol) address of: 66.98.166.87. We just type www.cigarpass.com, DNS is the machine that translates a name into a number, so we dont have to remember the decimel format.

Your ISP provides DNS also, some are slow. I believe there are 8 root DNS servers that are like masters and your ISP gets its records from them. I dont see anything wrong with using a root server for DNS, but at some point they can get overloaded with requests in which case it makes more sense to use your ISP's DNS server.
on the money except there are 13 root DNS servers.