• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I love my local shop

moki

el Presidente
I love my local shop. There's a nice cigar store downstairs with a big walk in humidor, and the owners are very friendly and nice. Upstairs there is a beautiful cigar club ($30/month membership) with a pool table, large plasma TV, leather couches, satellite feed for the TV, custom cigar lockers, a killer ventilation system, wireless internet, and a nice poker room with bi-weekly games.

But that's not why I love my local shop. I love them because they do not dick around with prices. When Opus X's/Añejos come in, they sell them at MSRP + NYS Tobacco tax (37%... ugh) + 8% NYS sales tax. They don't gouge.

Even better, as a member, I get a 20% discount on anything I buy -- 30% if I buy an entire box. I saw a sealed box of VSG Sorcerers there tonight; the price was $12.33 a stick. Not great, but that's with the 37% NYS tobacco tax. With my 30% box discount, that effectively brings the tobacco tax down to just 7%, and makes the box infinitely affordable.

I bought it. I have no qualms about supporting stand-up people like this at all.

I am with you on the Supporting Stand-Up shops. Sounds like a great shop to go to as well :thumbs:

But I am sure you really don't have room for that whole box of VSGs and...Like I...well, have room ;) :D

PuroBrat said:
I am with you on the Supporting Stand-Up shops. Sounds like a great shop to go to as well :thumbs:

But I am sure you really don't have room for that whole box of VSGs and...Like I...well, have room ;) :D
Somehow, I'll struggle to make room. ;)

:D I am sure it will not be a problem, that was just one of my famouse not so subtle Mooches :0 :p

it is nice to have a local shop to be dedicated to.the one i frequent ... the owner is a good friend...i have been going there since a month before it opened.has a private smoking room (for friends only)that we use for impromptue smoke outs...8 guys with cigars makes for a pretty blue room.

best of all...alberta has the lowest tobacco taxes in canada and art has the lowest prices in alberta(still not cheap...this is canada eh).better still he moves alot of the bigger cigars(churchills pyramides etc)and the small cigars just sit on the shelves waiting for me.

(just so you dont think cigars in canada are cheap or anything)
rg panetelas extra are 6$can ... my favorites in the store
ryj coronitas en cedro are 6.50$can...my second favorite
bolivar coronas extra are 18$can...what i get if i am feeling like a larger smoke

what gets me is he cant sell these smokes...the coronas extras are a '98 box and has been on the shelf since the store opened.

i love my local shop...moki no membership just friendship

derrek :)

Sound nice
I havn't found anyplace like that near me :(
Still have anothr shop to check out ,but I don't think I'll find a nice set up like
this one :p

Bill

Sounds like an awesome place. There is NOTHING like that anywhere near me. Kinda sucks being in a small south Georgia town, but I do what I can.
Bryan :thumbs:

Sounds a lot like the shop Ric and I go to (the one cigah smoka works at) moki. We love our shop :love: . The place is huge and has pretty much the same amenities you mentioned except no pool table....yet. They have the largest inventory I've seen in a shop by far. The best part is their prices....always MSRP :D .

With my 30% box discount, that effectively brings the tobacco tax down to just 7%, and makes the box infinitely affordable.

Sorry can't help myself... If the tobacco tax is 37% and the sales tax is 8% (I assume each tax is calculated based on the item price) and you get 30% off then you actually pay 1.015 % tax total.

Typically, a discount (in this case 30%) is deducted from the price of the product, prior to the inclusion of taxes. Maybe ???

One thing I like about one of my local shops (for obvious reasons I won't name it here) is that they have a nice supply of Q Bans hidden in the back, and they will give one to a good customer (a nominal donation to the cause is the norm).

When I can afford a box of the good one's I plan to donate a bunch to that same supply. :D

I know a shop here that has a supply as well. They don't donate them though.. They ask you to turn around and bend over. :0 I guess if it's the only place you know to get them from...

The shop I go to isn't quite that bad, but there is a good supply, for friends, I'll get a couple free if I buy 5 or 6. :D :D

My biggest problem is there are no shops in my immediate area. Closest one is about 30 min away and I have never been crazy about their prices. If all goes as planned I'll be checking out the one moki is talking about this weekend. It is still 30+ min away from home but I will be in the area and if is all he has been saying it is it will be well worth the drive.

Sounds well worth a half hour drive.

Hell, I'd drive from NYC. Lunch at Nick's :love: and then a herf at that place. I'm in! :D

Actually, now that I think about it.. Did Nick Tahoe's in the 'hood get shut down again?

Last I knew the one in the hood was gong to be closing at night but the other one was going to stay open all night. Been a while since I have been to either and now I have a craving. I think I smell a garbage plate in the near future.

I remember the one in the hood was closed for a while because someone was running guns out of there. Yup.. Nice place. :)

There is only one local shop around here that sells OpusX, and, while they limit the number you can buy to 4 the prices are about list. MO taxes are included except for sales tax which is about 6%. So, even though they only get them in twice a year, the prices are reasonable.

You know what the biggest point is here? It takes several key customers like Moki to keep the local shops going. With all the taxes that keep driving the prices up, it makes more sense to purchase online.
I have only one store that I really like to go to JR's (the whole place is a humidor), and that is about a 20 minute drive for me. There are other stores around for sure, but nothing that really blows my doors off.

I'm happy for you Moki, if I ever get out that way, I hope we can go and shoot some pool and torch some sticks! I think you failed to mention if they served tasty beverages though!

John V.
Motown, home of the Laker Slayers! :D