• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I need a cigar...

gixxer

Hey everyone. Graduation is coming up and I'd really like to get some decent cigars for a couple of my good friends and I. The only good cigar I've really had was a Paul Garmirian (sp?) my brother gave to me at his wedding. Anyway, I'm just looking for a place to start or some suggestions. Thanks.

Welcome to CP I would suggest some Oliva Series V cigars they are very nice cigars and not priced bad either about 5-6 bucks a stick.

Best Regards
Don

Welcome, Gixxer. How much would you like to spend?

Welcome, How many friends are you going to be smoking with? Definately a good idea for celebrating your graduation.
B

And how much are you wanting to spend total?
B

I'm probably buying for about four, maybe five of my friends. That said, I'd really like to keep it under $10 a pop. Plus, these are guys that enjoy White Owls and Phillies, they shouldn't be too hard to please.

The Oliva Serie V looks like it will fit the bill, but I'm still open to ideas.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

gixxer,

Please do as Wurm has suggested, and then go buy a handful of Fuente 858s for you and your buddies. :)

I'm probably buying for about four, maybe five of my friends. That said, I'd really like to keep it under $10 a pop. Plus, these are guys that enjoy White Owls and Phillies, they shouldn't be too hard to please.

The Oliva Serie V looks like it will fit the bill, but I'm still open to ideas.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Definately take Wurm's advice and check all of that stuff out. The Oliva Serie V's, Fuente 858's, and any of the Padron line would be good choices. Can't go wrong with any of them IMO.
B

........ditto on the 858's. Natural or maduro, they are both a good smoke and affordable.

jef

I'm wondering if the Oliva Serie V would have too much of a puke factor for new smokers?

Along with the 858s, you might want to look at some of the CAOs. The camaroon anniversary series is a great smoke to move up from the White Owls. Boxes run around $120 for 20 to give you an idea of price.

Gregor

Along with the 858s, you might want to look at some of the CAOs. The camaroon anniversary series is a great smoke to move up from the White Owls. Boxes run around $120 for 20 to give you an idea of price.

Gregor

I think JR was running a special on the CAO Cameroon. Havent bought from them in a long while, so can't speak on current condition issues.

edit to clarify

When I first started smoking I enjoyed an Upmann Coronas Junior Tubos. It was not to over powering plus it was a smaller cigar. That is just my two cents.

Gixxer, I'm guessing your only here for some suggestions and are going to disappear afterwards. I hope I'm wrong; I recommend you stick around and see what we're about. Cigars can be a lot more than a roll of tobacco that you puff on, they can lead to new friendships and believe it or not but you may learn about yourself because of cigars.

Make an intro and hang around for a while, you'll figure out pretty shortly if CP is for you and if it is you will certainly enjoy the ride.

As far as my recommendations:

Padron 2000 maddies are a great choice, they are much cheaper than your given price range but are a really good smoke. If your buddies are use to smoking white owls and the like they wouldn't be able to distinguish the difference between a Padron 2000 and a $10 cigar.

If you want something that is very mild some Baccarats may be a good choice, the ones I've had were extremely mild and have sweetened tips, great cigars for a nonsmoker to try.

Also you can probably pick up a cheap bundle of some Rocky Patel sungrowns off of the auction site run by Famous Smoke shop. They are pretty good affordable cigars.

Padron 2000 maddies are a great choice, they are much cheaper than your given price range but are a really good smoke. If your buddies are use to smoking white owls and the like they wouldn't be able to distinguish the difference between a Padron 2000 and a $10 cigar.

2X on that one.

I plan to stay around. After becoming of age I took a pretty big interest in cigars. I may definitely get in on one of the newbie trades if I can set some additional cash aside.

I'm just curious why the Oliva Serie V is not a great first smoke?

Also, I would like to add that everyone in this forum has given me more feedback and information than any other forums I have been on. Thanks.

I'm wondering if the Oliva Serie V would have too much of a puke factor for new smokers?
I was going to suggest Opus X's. I had those for graduation recently. They should be out right now at stores because it's near Father's Day. But yeah, if you can't handle strong cigars, Opus X's would be a bad idea.

The newbie trade is awesome I got some very nice smokes when I did it.

Best Regards
Don
x2
I have some great smokes I'm going to light up sometime soon from the newbie trade.

Gregor
Try to CAO Criollo or Arturo Fuente Hemingway's. Those are good cigars and would work well for graduation. Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real's would probably work, too. I gave a couple to some friends for graduation. These are mild-medium smokes, I suppose.

Gixxer, I'm guessing your only here for some suggestions and are going to disappear afterwards. I hope I'm wrong; I recommend you stick around and see what we're about. Cigars can be a lot more than a roll of tobacco that you puff on, they can lead to new friendships and believe it or not but you may learn about yourself because of cigars.

Make an intro and hang around for a while, you'll figure out pretty shortly if CP is for you and if it is you will certainly enjoy the ride.
x2
I've made a few friends already from this hobby, and I'm pretty sure I'm about the same age as you, Gixxer. Stick around, this place is great!

And good luck with your graduation. Don't trip on your way up to get your diploma. :)