• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I need a humidor! But have a couple questions..

pj_rage

Novice Cigar Smoker
Hey everyone, I just joined here because it seemed like a great forum and I'm in need of a humidor.

To give a little background... I just starting smoking cigars about 6 months ago and so far I really like it alot. I've been smoking 3 or 4 a month, roughly, and I have been starting to buy a few at a time - some of which I don't smoke right away, so I wanted to get a humidor to keep them fresh until I want to enjoy them. I had a couple start to crack on me because I only had them in a ziplock baggie, which I knew was a mistake anyway :whistling:

I don't know anything about humidors (yet!) but I have been trying to read here to find out what I need to do to get started. I don't need anything fancy to get started, something simple (and cheap!) will work fine for me.

I'm thinking of picking up the 40ct cherry desktop humidor from cigarmony as it looks nice and 40ct should work for a while. I was going to add the humidipuck too, but I don't know if I need the short (65% RH) or (70% RH) puck? How do I decide? I was thinking the Tall so that I could use it if I ever upgraded to a larger humidor in the future, but I don't know if I need the 65% vs 70%, I really don't know the ideal humidity or why one is better than the other.

Also, is the maintenance and upkeep of a humidor relatively easy? I'm not looking to add water or something every week, if possible. It sounded like the humipuck is pretty easy? Also, I noticed there is a seasoning process, but I don't know anything about that either... do all humidors need to undergo this, or are some shipped seasoned or?

One last thing.. should I buy a digital hygrometer/thermometer (I kind of want to so I can keep an eye on it - plus they look kinda cool ;) )? If so, what is a recommended one that is relatively inexpensive and accurate enough?

Thanks for any help getting me started guys!

Hey everyone, I just joined here because it seemed like a great forum and I'm in need of a humidor.
. . .
Thanks for any help getting me started guys!

Hey Welcome! I'm a newbie here myself - but not to smoking - 30+ years :0

On humidors - I'd go a little larger if you can. I have never seen one hold the amount that they say they will - so a 40 count may get you 25 to 30 depending on size of course.

Keep in mind that you don't actually have to use a nice wooden humidor - the use of tuperware, igloo coolers, etc etc is very common. I myself have 3 desktop humidors and two large tupadors as I call them. Any plastic container with a tight seal on the lid will work for you. Not glamorus - but very effective.

65 or 70% - up to you. Some find 70% a little to wet which can cause draw and burn problems. 65% works out well for most - some even like them lower. I go with 65% myself.

Seasoning - all wooden humidors must go through it. Coolers don't. This is the act of getting the interior at a stable humidity of your selection.

Digital is the best way - most all also have a temp gauge also. Radio Shack is a good place to find them cheap.

Hope this gets you started - others will come along and fill in the blanks.

Ron

I heard about the tupador, but I'm looking for something a bit more presentable that will fit the room (I think it is about all the girlfriend will allow for now ;)). I really don't think I'll up my collection more than 25-30 at any given time. I hear that everyone says that, and it's probably true, so next year I'm sure I'll upgrade, but that's alright. I'm just not ready to make too big of an investment yet. I'm really not ready to buy boxes for over a hundred bucks as I'm still investigating all the many brands to see what I like the best! I have been buying 2 or 3 at a time and maybe only smoking one right away so I need to store the others.

Are you familiar with the humidipuck? Will the "short" 65% RH puck be able to humidify the entire box, or will I need more than one maybe? How often does it need to be maintained/serviced/upkept to make sure the humidity is constant?

How does the seasoning process work? Do I simply put the humidification device in and wait for the humidity level to stabilize?

Thanks!

Edit: Just noticed you are from Alexandria... as am I. What part? PM me maybe...?

Hello,

I would suggest getting the "Tall" Humidi-Puck with the 40ct. The "Short" version should work but depending on how dry your cigars are and the fact that you will be needing to season the new humidor, the "tall" version would require less rehydrating.

And yes, you just put the Humidi-Puck in the humi and let it do its thing. The media has been engineered to precisely maintain a pre-determined level of RH without costly & messy chemicals.

Because the Humidi-Puck is intended to precisely regulate RH in a closed container, "recharging" depends on how dry your cigars are, ambient temps and more importantly, how often you open and close your humidor.

Thanks for the support, I greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
~Mark

Welcome aboard. :thumbs:

I really don't think I'll up my collection more than 25-30 at any given time.
I think that's what almost everyone has said when then first started. Outgrew my first 40 count in less than a month. ;)

How does the seasoning process work? Do I simply put the humidification device in and wait for the humidity level to stabilize?
Pretty much that's it. You can also put in an open container of distilled water for the beads to absorb, which you'll remove when the humi is finished seasoning. It can take up to 2 weeks to stabilize a new humi.

Thanks!

Go with the biggest humi you can if you think that you are in this hobby for the long run. If not really sure, the cooler/Tupperware/plastic container is a very easy way to start. No seasoning needed.

Out of curiosity, on average, are we talkin days, weeks, or months for the recharge?

I have been thinking alot about the size of the humi. Everyone I talk to says I need bigger, and they are probably right. I'm already looking at prices of boxes... and I will need somewhere to keep them. I just stumbled upon what looks to be a great deal at cubancrafters for a glass top humi (I love the look!) and it comes with cigars.

I'm probably going to order it soon, but I will still be ordering the humidipuck. Will I need more than one puck for a 100ct humidor? I'm still thinking the 70% RH will work, is this right?

Thanks for everything guys!

...I'm probably going to order it soon, but I will still be ordering the humidipuck. Will I need more than one puck for a 100ct humidor? I'm still thinking the 70% RH will work, is this right?

Thanks for everything guys!

The "Tall" will cover approx 1080 cu in and the "Short" approx 405 cu in.

Thanks again!
~Mark

The more beads you have or the larger the puck, the longer the time between 'recharges'. Also depends on how well the humi seals.

I have a small fridge and a 100 qt cooler, both with just over a pound of beads each. Usually only add water once every 2 -3 months.

The 300 count humi, with about a 1/4 pound of beads, is usually recharged every 1 -2 months depending how many time I have to open it. ;)

Thanks for the info guys!

Do the pucks stack? i.e. if I have a 1500cu in humidor, I could use a small and a large, and likewise a 2000 uses two tall? I won't need to do this yet, just curious for the future!

Also, maybe a dumb question, but can damage cigars (dried out) be saved by keeping them in a humidor for a few days/weeks? (Assuming they didn't crack yet, only dried out).

Thanks for the info guys!

Do the pucks stack? i.e. if I have a 1500cu in humidor, I could use a small and a large, and likewise a 2000 uses two tall? I won't need to do this yet, just curious for the future!

Also, maybe a dumb question, but can damage cigars (dried out) be saved by keeping them in a humidor for a few days/weeks? (Assuming they didn't crack yet, only dried out).

Because the lid is perforated to allow for water vapor transfer, it is not recommended to stack the Humidi-Pucks. The do however come with velcro to easily attach them to the lid of your storage device.

A "short" & "tall" would cover the 1500 cu in and (2) "tall" for the 2000 cu in.

In regards to bring back dried smokes, it depends but I have brought some back that I thought were goners. The need to sit in your humidor for at least 30 days.

Hope this helps.
~Mark

Orders placed for everything! I'm so excited, thanks again for all your help.

Yeah, Mark, I meant stack like add together to cover larger areas, I didn't intend to use them on top of each other ;)

I was asking about the recovering lost cigars because I have a couple now that have been in a baggie about a week, and it sounds like by the time I get the humi in and season it, it will be a little while and I won't have anywhere to keep them until the humidor is seasoned (unless I can keep them in the humi while it seasons?). Good to know that I will be able to save them!

Thanks again all!

I was asking about the recovering lost cigars because I have a couple now that have been in a baggie about a week, and it sounds like by the time I get the humi in and season it, it will be a little while and I won't have anywhere to keep them until the humidor is seasoned (unless I can keep them in the humi while it seasons?). Good to know that I will be able to save them!

Thanks again all!

Just a quick note - I am going to PM you later tonight.

But - I think each humidor is different in the amount of time it takes. Some can be very fast. Both of my Diamond Crown boxes only took a few days before they held. The larger glass top took damn near two weeks.
As for the cigars you have now in a baggie - I'd leave them in the baggie and then place it in the humi. Open or puncture the baggie with a a very small hole - reason is if you bring really dried out cigars up to fast - they will burst. Yours may not be as bad as you think - depending on how many times you have opened the baggie and how many cigars are in it.

Also - once you get the humi up to where you want it - when you add the cigars the humidity level will change - don't panic - it's normal - just leave it alone and let it settle out.

Later,

Ron