• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I need help Identifying this Montecristo

C_Cabra

Can anyone help me to identify this Montecristo cigar?

It's not in very good shape. My boss brought it back with him from Iraq about 5 years ago. He said it was one of his victory cigars.

He found it while he was packing for a move. Apparently it has been stored in the tube for the last 5 years or so.

He said it was Cuban. He knows I like cigars so he gifted it to me. I'd like to be able to hold on to it for a little while and possibly smoke it some day after it has rehydrated.

It looks like it has a ring gauge of about 49 or 50 and is about 6 inches long

6016_1192564342462_1479017381_1336518_842091_n.jpg

I agree with Jim. It looks like the tubo I have. It's a bit shorter than a #1 but the same ring gauge.

Good luck rehydrating it, remember to take it slow. And don't judge all monte's by how it smokes. 5 years of improper storage has probably done a fair amount of irreparable damage.

I agree with Jim. It looks like the tubo I have. It's a bit shorter than a #1 but the same ring gauge.

Good luck rehydrating it, remember to take it slow. And don't judge all monte's by how it smokes. 5 years of improper storage has probably done a fair amount of irreparable damage.

After 5 years, the only thing it's good for is to identify it....plus the cool tubo! Even if you do rehydrate it, it will still, more than likely, taste like shit.

After 5 years, the only thing it's good for is to identify it....plus the cool tubo! Even if you do rehydrate it, it will still, more than likely, taste like shit.

Even if the air is right, the moon is full, and the mood is perfect will it still taste like shit :p.

Jim

Even if the air is right, the moon is full, and the mood is perfect will it still taste like shit :p.

Jim

Ah well :) I guess at the least I can say I have a cuban that the marines brought back from Iraq hehe. If nothing else it will make an interesting story.

You never know. Cigars are made to be smoked. Might as well give it a try. Bring it back slowly and smoke it. If it tastes bad, who cares...its an experiment. There is always the chance it can still be a decent smoke.

I'd leave it just as it is for a novelty.

Hell, PM me your addy and I'll pick a fresh one up at my B&M and send it to you to smoke in its stead.

Shawn

I'd leave it just as it is for a novelty.

Hell, PM me your addy and I'll pick a fresh one up at my B&M and send it to you to smoke in its stead.

Shawn

Now that's an awesome play right there, good on you Shawn.

I'm heading to the city on Friday.

I'll have it out on Saturday.

Shawn

*edit* And you might want to read what I thought of the same cigar while you are waiting for it to arrive.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=18868

I broke down and smoked it. It actually tasted pretty good. The wrapper was worse for wear but managed to hold together. The cigar itself seemed plugged and I had to pull hard to get any significant amount of smoke out of it. Nice sweet flavor.

lol and I stopped at the B&M on the way home from the hospital today and picked you up another.

When it gets there, smoke it and compare the two. Desert aged and 2009 roll.

I smoked the 09 yesterday. Very tasty! A big difference from the 5 year old gar. I thought I detected hints of cocoa, coffee, and coconuts. Very easy draw and a sweet flavor. My brother who hates cigars took a pull and even said it tasted good.

How do the Montecristos available in the US compare to these?

7726_1228577922779_1479017381_1445485_822971_n.jpg

7726_1228578202786_1479017381_1445492_7994181_n.jpg

7726_1228578282788_1479017381_1445494_4144360_n.jpg

7726_1228578322789_1479017381_1445495_6935283_n.jpg

7726_1228578442792_1479017381_1445498_2359896_n.jpg

7726_1228577842777_1479017381_1445483_3987851_n.jpg

SNIP<<<<

To each their own and opinions vary.

My opinion is comparing the Montecristos "legally" available in the States with Cuban Montecristos is like comparing an El Mejor Espresso to an Opus X. There is no comparison.

SNIP<<<<

To each their own and opinions vary.

My opinion is comparing the Montecristos "legally" available in the States with Cuban Montecristos is like comparing an El Mejor Espresso to an Opus X. There is no comparison.

I like the analogy of an original painting to a print, similar but just not the same. I'd invite you to smoke two back to back (CC and NC). When I did that, the lightbulb went on. It's hard to describe.

Back