• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I need professional help!

beastinem

As a cigar noob, I have yet to try my first Cuban. Just last week, it was the furthest thing from my mind. As far as I was concerned, it would be something that I would look into years from now. Well, thanks to a couple of very generous BOTL's, that dream is now a reality. I not only have my first Cuban sitting in the humi.....I actually have a CHOICE as to which will be my first experience. That's where I need help. Just curious, if you were in my shoes, which would you be most anxious to torch?

El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme Jun '07
Por Larranaga Petit Corona Apr '08
Monticristo #4 May '08
Johnny-O Corona Extra Pigtail '08

Now as a new cigar smoker still learning, I naturally had to research each of these. From what I understand, the Johnny-O's are made FROM Cuban tobacco but made by somebody in the states named Johnny-O? Please correct me if I am wrong. Not sure if this would be an official "first Cuban" or not.

Anyway, I am helping a close family friend move the last bit of furniture from his old house to his new one. And we figured a smoke at the end of a long day of moving would be fitting. So while everybody else is smoking their Curly Heads that I picked up for them (hehe), I think I might break out one of above. I am really excited.

If you drop a recommendation, any qualities about that particular smoke would be appreciated. So far, from what I have read, I am looking forward to the El Rey or the PLPC. Or maybe the Monti #4....or.....lol.

I usually like milder smokes, but have tried a couple of medium to full body smokes that I have enjoyed. So I guess I would be okay with anything. I am still learning what I like about each smoke.

Lastly, bare with me (again, I am still learning) if NONE of these should be smoked yet due to age, please let me know now. Before it's too late :)

Thanks guys/gals!

-Zach

As a cigar noob, I have yet to try my first Cuban. Just last week, it was the furthest thing from my mind. As far as I was concerned, it would be something that I would look into years from now. Well, thanks to a couple of very generous BOTL's, that dream is now a reality. I not only have my first Cuban sitting in the humi.....I actually have a CHOICE as to which will be my first experience. That's where I need help. Just curious, if you were in my shoes, which would you be most anxious to torch?

El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme Jun '07
Por Larranaga Petit Corona Apr '08
Monticristo #4 May '08
Johnny-O Corona Extra Pigtail '08

Now as a new cigar smoker still learning, I naturally had to research each of these. From what I understand, the Johnny-O's are made FROM Cuban tobacco but made by somebody in the states named Johnny-O? Please correct me if I am wrong. Not sure if this would be an official "first Cuban" or not.

Anyway, I am helping a close family friend move the last bit of furniture from his old house to his new one. And we figured a smoke at the end of a long day of moving would be fitting. So while everybody else is smoking their Curly Heads that I picked up for them (hehe), I think I might break out one of above. I am really excited.

If you drop a recommendation, any qualities about that particular smoke would be appreciated. So far, from what I have read, I am looking forward to the El Rey or the PLPC. Or maybe the Monti #4....or.....lol.

I usually like milder smokes, but have tried a couple of medium to full body smokes that I have enjoyed. So I guess I would be okay with anything. I am still learning what I like about each smoke.

Lastly, bare with me (again, I am still learning) if NONE of these should be smoked yet due to age, please let me know now. Before it's too late :)

Thanks guys/gals!

-Zach

I would go with the PLPC or the Johnny-O. If you want to start with one on the lighter side go with the Choix Supreme. As for the question on the Johnny-O as far as I know that is correct. You understand there is no turning back after you go over to the darkside LOL. :laugh:

Zach,

I say go for the Choix Supreme. It is a great cigar, and will really let you know what a good cuban should be, as they are pretty consistent. Then move on to the PLPC, and then a toss up between J-O and Monte.

I'm not a professional, but I play one on internet boards. (Actually I'm still in learning mode after 12 years) I can't speak for the JO, since I never tried any, but you can't go wrong with any of the others. Since PLPCs are among my favorites, I grab that or the Monte #4. I really like the smaller ring gauges.

PLPC was my first cuban, but from my experience they can be a bit inconsistent. I have had some that were amazing and some that were so so, some that were a bit too tight. I was in your shoes a little while ago but now I don't sweat the cuban stuff and just enjoy them as they come.

Enjoy, and remember to tell us what you think about each one! :thumbs:

The order you have them listed would not be a bad choice. Since you like milder smokes, it sounds like the ERDM would be a nice choice, and then you can progress up the chain. You can ask 50 people on this board and you would get a pretty even assortment of which is the favorite. I would say the Johnny-O would be my favorite, but the others are great as well. The monti 4 and the PLPC are going to be a little more peppery and spicy than the Choix Supreme. The Choix would be a nice size to start with, so my vote is for the ERDM. Good luck either way, and don't forget to post some photos and your thoughts on the smoke. Enjoy! :thumbs:

Brandon

I would smoke them in the order that you have them listed.

I went with the Choix Supreme. I really enjoyed it. It was such a mild smoke. A lot more mild than I expected actually. But either my taste is changing, or it was just a little TOO mild for me. Believe it or not. But maybe it's just my lack of ability to pick up the tastes yet.

I have had bad luck with cigars lately burning hot near the last 1/3 of the stick. And this one didn't. So I was happy. I smoked it down as far as I could and enjoyed every bit of it. It had a nice easy draw, burned even, pretty much no complaints at all.

I think my wife popped off a few pics while I was sitting out back smoking with my friend. I will put it up here or set it as my profile pic maybe. Glad I have a pic of my first Cuban experience :)

Thanks for all the recommendations and feedback. Now I can't wait to smoke the next one.

-Zach

My first cuban was a PLPC and it was phenomenal. With that said, the '08's still need a little more time.

I love the ERdM Choix Supreme. The ones I have had had great citrus notes. Mine need a little more time, but the ones my buddy has tastes like Orange Crush. :)

I am glad you enjoyed your 1st Cuban.

Congrats on your first CC. Mine was an Hoyo de Monterrey Des Dieux. Great woody smoke. The ERDM Choix Supreme is a lighter cigar, and Cubans for the most part outside of a few vitolas within certain marcas, will be lighter than what you are normally accustomed to smoking if your regular smokes are Nicaraguan, Honduran or some Dominican cigars. For me the beauty of CCs is that the flavors, for the most part, are not in your face. They are more sublte and nuanced...challenging you to pick them out. Part of the enjoyment for me...