• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I started again to Freeze all Cuban cigars

Oldmancigar

I’m here to stay
The dreaded tobacco beetle, Lasioderma serricorne. I must assume that these beetles are in all cigars.
Years ago, most Cuban cigars were shipped with poor transport systems and sometimes having poor storage conditions. The scientific approach to storage conditions and treatment approaches to possible beatle infestation wasn’t widely understood as it is now.

When one of my personal storage areas was compromised, I had a significant loss.
I feel that some of these transport conditions has arisen again. It is taking in some cases 30 days to transport cigars by mail to me. And the storage conditions in post offices isn’t the best.
So, I again freeze all cigars immediately = upon arrival. (ten days for larvae to hatch)

Cuban cigars, are notorious for poor storage or transport conditions

Last edited:
30 days is quite some time. I guess the postal service isn't great south of the border.

Can you not order from the EU/OZ? or will they not ship to the US due to the legal issues with Cubans.

I order some from Australia and and New Zealand, the post office is very-very slow plus post office shutdowns and Covid.
but remember the little bugs need only 7-10 days to hatch so we don’t need 30 days if larvae is present in cigars.
‘plus it’s always from my point of view, easy to freeze. One day in fridge, 1-2 days freezer, then one day back in fridge.

Last edited:
I order some from Australia and and New Zealand, the post office is very-very slow plus post office shutdowns and Covid.
but remember the little bugs need only 7-10 days to hatch so we don’t need 30 days if larvae is present in cigars.
‘plus it’s always from my point of view, easy to freeze. One day in fridge, 1-2 days freezer, then one day back in fridge.
Unless your freezer can go below zero, it’s best to do 3 days to kill the eggs and larvae.

Thanks, ‘CigSid’, your absolutely correct… my freezer stays at -10 Fahrenheit. I shouldn’t have assumed that all were kept as cold as my freezer.