• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I want a good sampler!

roboref

I have a similar post going on the discussion board. Hope some of you can help me. I will be on a cruise next month visiting St Maarteen. I know that I need to go to the La Casa Del Habano to ensure that I will get authentic Cubans. I will be going to the one on the Dutch side. My favorite cigars right now are Ashton VSG and CAO Anniversaiire Camerron. I like mild to medium smokes. I would like to get some variety of Cuban cigars to sample on the cruise.

1. So what brands would you recommend to get.

2. Include the price I might expect to pay if you know.

3. I would like to get 10 to 20 cigars and bring them back with me. What is the best way to accomplish this.

A. Have del Habano ship them to me, they said they could do so, but am I running the risk of not getting the authentic cigars mailed to me?
B. Take the bands off and put them in my travel humidor and bring them with me?

Thanks for your help!

Roboref

You know, I've never been on a cruise, but in the past the way I've done it is just put the stuff in my suitcase and try not to look like a criminal going through customs. I've made lots of internation trips and as far as I can recall customs only ever looked in my bags once (on the way back from Amsterdam). If you want to be extra safe take the bands off and keep them seperate from the cigars. I wouldnt have them ship them, if you're gonna do that you can just order them online to begin with. Getting to pick them out first hand is what you want if you have the chance.

Definitely remove the bands just in case they do search your bags. As far as brands make sure you try some Cohibas. Others to consider:

San Cristobal
Saint Luis Rey
Sancho Panza
Partagas
RyJ

If you haven't cruised before, it seems pretty simple to bring them back. You put your luggage out by midnight on the last night and they take it down into the hold. Then when you dock, the luggage is off-loaded, through customs and is setting in this large open room for you when you get off the ship. Then you take your luggage and go out of the terminal to the cabs. Thye always warn you to be sure to smoke all the Cubans by the last night at sea.

Thanks for the suggestions on brands, I would still like to have some approximate costs to go with the various cigars.

roboref said:
I would still like to have some approximate costs to go with the various cigars.
This is a tough one. Everyone pays different prices for their ISOM's. I'll just give some examples of smokes I've had good luck with and approx. what they go for:

Partagas Lusitania- $10
Hoyo de Monterey EL- $11
H. Upman Sir Winston- $13.50
Bolivar Belicosos Finos- $8
Ramon Allones Gigantes- $10
San Cristobal El Moro- $11

All excellent smokes, in my opinion. Also, make sure to ask what is available in terms of aged smokes. If you're buying these as singles, splurge and see if you can get ahold of something from the 80's. This will give you a good understanding of what age can do to a cigar. Don't be surprised if it's not as profound as you think it will be though ;)

Tony Bones said:
roboref said:
I would still like to have some approximate costs to go with the various cigars.
This is a tough one. Everyone pays different prices for their ISOM's. I'll just give some examples of smokes I've had good luck with and approx. what they go for:

Partagas Lusitania- $10
Hoyo de Monterey EL- $11
H. Upman Sir Winston- $13.50
Bolivar Belicosos Finos- $8
Ramon Allones Gigantes- $10
San Cristobal El Moro- $11

All excellent smokes, in my opinion. Also, make sure to ask what is available in terms of aged smokes. If you're buying these as singles, splurge and see if you can get ahold of something from the 80's. This will give you a good understanding of what age can do to a cigar. Don't be surprised if it's not as profound as you think it will be though ;)
FWIW, I have yet to see any of those cigars sold at those prices in the Carribean, except for in the DomRep. All have sold for probably %20 more or so. YMMV.
Emo

Tony Bones and Emodex,

Thanks for the suggestions. This is what I am looking for. Just some really nice smokes to bring home. Do you think it would be best to remove the bands and put them in the travel case to bring home or have them shipped from St Marteen? I will be buying these at the LA Casa De habanos store there. Also another question, Will the prices be significantly lower in the Carribean on Domestic smokes to buy them there. I believe I am allowed up to 200 cigars duty-free.

Just wanted to again thank everyone for suggestions. We got back with our stash of cigars just fine. I tried to buy one each of what everyone suggested. I had my first Cuban last night. It was a Montecristo. WOW! I hope all the others will be this good. I don't have the list right with me right now of what I bought, but when I get home I will list what I bought along with prices paid. I purchased these at the La Casa Del Habano in Phillipsburg, St Marteen.

Yup, Monte's are good cigars. Especially for those new to the island cigars. They full of flavor and smoke. Not too complex, and not too 1 dimensional. All in all the line is pretty good.

Emo

roboref said:
Also another question, Will the prices be significantly lower in the Carribean on Domestic smokes to buy them there. I believe I am allowed up to 200 cigars duty-free.
What was the answer on this...I am going to Haiti soon on business and was wondering what the rule might be? :thumbs:

Thanks in advance!

I checked some domestic prices in San Juan, and they were pretty much what you pay here. My lovely wife bought me a Padron 1964 Torpedo ($15.95), and the Ashton VSG I saw were $9, about what theya re at home. I did not check domestic prices other islands, since I had planned on the La Casa Del Habano stop and was going to spend my money there.

Thanks! I was hoping that I might get a better deal over there, but oh well...there is always c-bid :D

Milton said:
roboref said:
Also another question, Will the prices be significantly lower in the Carribean on Domestic smokes to buy them there. I believe I am allowed up to 200 cigars duty-free.
What was the answer on this...I am going to Haiti soon on business and was wondering what the rule might be? :thumbs:

Thanks in advance!
What kinda business you got in Haiti? I was there a couple months ago. I really feel for the people down there. The corruption in the government is the cause of failure in this Country. Hopefully there will be some Countries that will help build this nation. I think once Haiti gets on there feet, things will also get better in DomRep. There is a huge labor pool in both countries, but no foreign companies will move in because of the corrupt governments on both sides. It was pretty depressing there.

Emo

I haven't been there yet, I hope to go in another couple of months. I am working with a company down there that a friend's dad owns. We are sending 25 high end water purification systems down there and selling clean water to the people. The town we are starting in has to travel 18 miles to get clean water currently and they pay anywhere from $3-$4 US a gallon for the water from companies like Culligan or Aquafina. We will sell for less (around $2/gallon). The money that is earned from the water will be recycled in to building up the towns infrastructure (ie getting the power plant running again, building a new school, creating jobs etc...) via a non profit organization the same friend of mine runs down there. They are anticipating breaking even this month, but clearing 15-20 K US next month to pour back in to the Haitian economy. The goal is to start rebuilding the country from a very basic level so that we can in the next couple of years start creating education about business ownership and capitalism to help rebuild the country. It's a lofty goal but but we are allready seeing big steps forward in the town and the people there, which is the most important thing. Since the deal came together at the end of June we have allready created 2 jobs and alot of excitement within a very depressed town. :thumbs:

Now I am looking to work simular deals in other poorer countries. I have some ideas and leads for Kenya and Mexico. Just need to put the pieces together.