I was bored

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
So I decided to make a couple cigar tools.

I used this conical Dremel bit in a high speed drill to ream out a 308 casing to make a punch. I was surprised how sharp I was able to get it but I know it won't last long since brass is pretty soft. Next I will make one with a 44 mag casing.

Punch reamer.jpg

243 punch 2.jpg

I was in the Allegheny National Forest last weekend and pulled out a beautiful Fonseca #1 which I have been waiting to smoke. It was plugged and my Perfecdraw was at home so I knew I needed to make a back-up, or two!

I took a peice of dowel rod I had laying around and super glued a #6 x 2 1/2" wood screw to the end, and drilled out another peice of dowel rod to house the "Screwdraw". It also doubles as a great nub tool.

I have a box of RG Panetels Extra that are hopelessly plugged and I figured one of those would be the perfect guinea pig because it is such a small ring gauge and if I could rescue it, I could rescue anything. It worked perfectly!

I used Moki's quarter as a size reference.

Screwdraw 2.jpg

thinde

Lobstah; the other white meat!
Nice work. Next time try a longer screw and drill through the top. Should make it much more stable.

CigarStone

Nice work. Next time try a longer screw and drill through the top. Should make it much more stable.
Tom, I scoured Home Depot and 2 1/2" was the longest in #6. Any longer and the screw is too fat. The super glue I have is extremely strong, I bought it from a guitar place Stewmac.com and have been amazed at how well it works. I'll let you know if it holds up.

alwayslit

So I decided to make a couple cigar tools.

I used this conical Dremel bit in a high speed drill to ream out a 308 casing to make a punch. I was surprised how sharp I was able to get it but I know it won't last long since brass is pretty soft. Next I will make one with a 44 mag casing.

View attachment 41255

View attachment 41256

I was in the Allegheny National Forest last weekend and pulled out a beautiful Fonseca #1 which I have been waiting to smoke. It was plugged and my Perfecdraw was at home so I knew I needed to make a back-up, or two!

I took a peice of dowel rod I had laying around and super glued a #6 x 2 1/2" wood screw to the end, and drilled out another peice of dowel rod to house the "Screwdraw". It also doubles as a great nub tool.

I have a box of RG Panetels Extra that are hopelessly plugged and I figured one of those would be the perfect guinea pig because it is such a small ring gauge and if I could rescue it, I could rescue anything. It worked perfectly!

I used Moki's quarter as a size reference.

View attachment 41258

You might get in trouble for trademark infringement ;)

CigarStone

9mm is almost perfect, size wise, for a punch. I had one that I dragged a file around, made a surprisingly good punch.
I took your input and looked around for some 9MM casings. I came across some 35 Remington in a box and that worked even better since I put the casing in a drill chuck to polish it. The straight walled stuff I tried got deformed by the chuck. So now I have a couple in .243" and a couple in .358".