• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Igloo ALERT!!

bigdan1173

If you are interested Sams has a 120 qt. Igloo on sale for $39. Nothing fancy, (no top hatch etc...) just a plain white Igloo.

Great price! :thumbs:

And no I'm not buying another one. If I did it would used as a casket if I walked in the house with it and the wife saw it. I can picture it now.

Wife: Another cooler!!!!!!!!!!WAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just took back my 100 qt. Wal-Mart model and took the 120 version from Sams for about 2 more dollars. Now here's my question. Cigar Dave of the radio show "the cigar dave show" says that you should remove the plastic wrappers from cigars to allow them to age properly. Is this right? Also, should I leave the boxes open or closed when aging them in my igloodor?

Both Good Questions Dan. I have been wondering the same things.

bigdan, try CigarNexus Steve is very informative about the facts and myths about cigars and their storage.

Dan, go ahead and remove the plastic wrap off the boxes and put them straight in the cooler. If none of the cigars you're putting in come in cedar cabinets go by your local shop and see if they have some empty cedar boxes, transfer the cigars from the dress box over to the cedar box.

Not only will the cedar boxes help regulate the humidity, they will assist with the aging of the cigars.

When you say dress box do you mean the kind that some Punch and Fuente cigars come in? Like the Curly Head boxes and Punch Rothchilds?

The cardboard ones with one or two pieces of cedar?

Yes, they're made of cardboard and usually have a cedar bottom and a thin cedar strip between the layers.

So the cigars would age better in the cedar?

Also I have another question. I have bought 2 cigar oasis (is the plural oasii?), one used the other new. The used one needs a new cartridge but is still providing 66% rh in my 300 count humidor. The humidor isn't full so if I add more cigars it may drop in rh even with a new cartridge. My igloodor has a oshkosh humidifier and I just checked it at about 65% (I only got the igloo yesterday btw). The igloodor is 120qt but only has about 150 cigars in it now. So here is my question. Do you think that my regular humidor will need two cigar oasis (oasii?) when fully stocked? Or, should I expect to use the oshkosh and one oasis in the full igloodor?

Just curious.

???

A Cigar Oasis should work fine in the coolidor. Actually it may be a little overkill. The cooler is airtight and all you really need is passive humidification (floral foam with 50/50 mixture, Climmax Beads). I use the Climmax beads in my coolers as do many of the other CP members. The Cigar Oasis works great in wooden humidors because they are usually less airtight than coolers.

I have read that the cartridges for the Cigar Oasis can be refilled instead of getting a new cartridge by opening the cartridge and filling it with distilled water. That way you save money to buy more cigars! ;)

The cedar boxes do help with the aging and also imparts the a slight cedar aroma to the cigar.

bigdan1173 said:
So the cigars would age better in the cedar?

Also I have another question. I have bought 2 cigar oasis (is the plural oasii?), one used the other new. The used one needs a new cartridge but is still providing 66% rh in my 300 count humidor. The humidor isn't full so if I add more cigars it may drop in rh even with a new cartridge. My igloodor has a oshkosh humidifier and I just checked it at about 65% (I only got the igloo yesterday btw). The igloodor is 120qt but only has about 150 cigars in it now. So here is my question. Do you think that my regular humidor will need two cigar oasis (oasii?) when fully stocked? Or, should I expect to use the oshkosh and one oasis in the full igloodor?

Just curious.

???
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the humi is at %66, and drops when you add cigars, it would mean that the cigars you placed in there were stored at less than %66. So your humi should actually gain a few points by adding new cigars, as most retailers keep their cigars at %70 or higher even.

Emo

You're probably right. I just figured there would be more demand on the humidifier.

Also, since I do buy a lot of cigars online I tend to think they are a bit dry when they get to me. I'm probably just paranoid. But you never know what those things go through when in transit.

So, the oshkosh I have in the igloo should be fine? The igloo isn't airtight. As a matter of fact, this is the second one I bought because the first wasn't airtight either (flashlight test). However, I did weather strip this one and it's probably sufficently sealed.