• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Illusione CG:4, Hmmm

SteveA

I've previously had a couple CG:4's and one Holy Lance. Loved them all so decided on a box of the CG:4's. Received it a week ago and looked and smelled fantastic. Dark wrappers and barnyard smell. The other night I smoked the first one from the box and this smoke was STRONG. I'm talking body more than nicotine. Lots of pepper and a little rough in the smoke texture. This was very unlike the previous CG:4's I've had. Underneath all the power I detected that sweet nutty flavor that I love in these smokes. Anybody else had this experience with the CG:4's? My gut tells me they are going to mellow with time but my head isn't so sure. What's your experience? By the way, according to the box date they've already got over a year of age.

I bought a box about a year ago and still have probably 10 left, just havn't smoked them for some time. I don't remember them having that strong of bold flavors but they quite possibly could now. I'll need to revisit one soon.

I love the Illusione line and have had some of the same experiences, where most are very good, smooth, and consistent, but a few have been out of sorts and strong (if not harsh). I have to say that the the good ones are worth the risk of getting one that does not follow the normal flavor profile.

Also, the Illusione 888 is in my top 5 cigars.

Ken

Illusion makes a pretty solid cigar, however I think that around a year to a year and a half they must go into a sick period of aging. I purchased a box of 888's about a year ago, and smoked a friends cg4 that was also about a year old when purchased, and they both seemed full of ammonia, and in a sick period. Maybe its bad luck, I don't know, but this is what I have experienced.

-Taylor

At what humidity level have they been stored?

Like other corojo wrapped cigars, I like these on the drier side of the spectrum. Around 60% give or take a few % is the ideal spot for me. If they get into the high 60s to over 70% they are harsh. They may be on the high side of that as many cigars are shipped at a higher humidity. Just a thought.

I've not smoked any Illusione cigars with any age to speak of, so Dios de Fuego may be on to something as well.

At what humidity level have they been stored?

Like other corojo wrapped cigars, I like these on the drier side of the spectrum. Around 60% give or take a few % is the ideal spot for me. If they get into the high 60s to over 70% they are harsh. They may be on the high side of that as many cigars are shipped at a higher humidity. Just a thought.

I've not smoked any Illusione cigars with any age to speak of, so Dios de Fuego may be on to something as well.

All of my long term storage is at ~65% humidity with short term storage closer to 60%. Everybody has made good points. I'm pretty confident my next experience will be improved, in a month or so. They are great cigars when on. Thanks for the comments! :thumbs:

Never noticed a difference and I love Illusione cigars. Could be the amount of time it needs to rest in the humidor that provided the variance in flavor.

Keep us updated if anything changes with the rest of the box.