• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Illusione/Cruzado/Epernay Production update 11/17/2008

vudu9

Hello All!

Just back from about two weeks of travel. Saw a few botl's at the BSLV - good to hang and shoot the shit while smoking great cigars.
I've been in Nicaragua and Honduras all last week both out in the barns and in the factory. Half of the time was spent smoking and validating various components i.e. viso, seco, ligero etc., for use in illusione and Cruzado production for 2009. I'm very fortunate in that I'm able to venture out into the barns in the regions where these pilones are kept. Usually in our crew is the Factory owner, Jacinto, an agronomist from Aganorsa, Arsenio Ramos, who is a master farmer and the person credited for showing Cuba how to properly do maduro fermentation. The Cohiba maduro coverleaf?, yeah - that's Arsenio. Also along was Paul Palmer, President of Casa Fernandez. It's great to really get out there and actually be a part of the selection process. It is a rarity and an honor for any brand owner to be involved at this level of selection. It is also where you can literally select the best of the best before anyone else has a chance to get their grubby little paws on it before it goes to Pre industirias for sale. For the most part, Factory owners and clients go to Pre-industira for tobacco selection. This is like a tobacco market of sorts for leaf buyers of all sorts.
The second half of the trip was spent in Honduras at the Factory. I needed to tend to some issues with production. I've been seeing batches of Cruzado coming in a little on the dark side....too dark. No biggie, we sorted that right out. I also worked on some cigars, possibly something for IPCPR next year in New Orleans. Nothing's written in stone yet. I can tell you that the blend is friggin' killer and the sizes are the following;

46 x 6
40 x 5 3/4
44 x 4 1/2
48 x 5 1/4

Yep, that's right - no great big Donkey Di*k cigars in this line-up either!

Boy oh boy - there sure are alot more people in the factory having cigars made than there was a year ago! For the most part, I don't pay attention. I just keep my head down and stay 3 steps ahead of the rest, just like my bro over there in JPG's house. Speaking of houses. I got invited over to Jonathan Drew's place in Nicaragua. HOLY F****NG $H!T !!!!!! INCREDIBLE !!! He just finished the bunk house, deck area and pool for his Cigar Safari's and it's like a cross between Pablo Escobar's compound and the Vatican. For reals. It's backed up to the best view in Esteli overlooking rolling meadows, trees and a large river that runs through it all. Adjacent to it is the new factory. We had a great dinner prepared by one of JD's chefs and got drunk on rum and smoked lots of cigars (mine of course), talked a lot of shit, dissagreed on a few things but agreed on most. Jonathan's a very gracious host and has tons of knowledge about tobacco and is extremely passsionate about the cigar culture. I was also very humbled at just how much he knew of me and my cigars without any real formal conversation beforehand. It was a very prosperous and eventful trip. I'll keep you guys up to date as more info comes along.

Later -

Dion Giolito
illusione cigars

Hey, what the hell is wrong with big donkey di*k cigars?

You had fun, huh? Still ain't enough to make me come to Reno. Looks like a plan, Dion.

welcome back Dion, sounds like a great trip. so when can i get a sample or 20 of the new smoke? lol

Dion,
That was a good read. Thank you for taking the time to share.
Wishing you all good things! :thumbs:

I smoked the ~2~ the other day - what a fine smoke it was! Can't wait to try more Illusiones. Keep up the good work. :thumbs:

I can't wait to try these as well. I'm a pretty big Illusione hoe!

I must say I have been draw in bye your product as well. They are a little hard to find yet around me, in stock :whistling: .

May be a group trip would be a great Idea. :thumbs: I myself have never had the chance to see how cigars are handled, and with all the time and love I have invested into them, It sure would be something. :cool:

Just my TWO CENTS

I have to say I love reading what you write, sound like a stand up down to earth dude...
Oh yeah you got a great thing going with them smokes! Love em bro! Cant wait to try the new shit. Thanks man for keeping us posted.
Chris

Cool story Dion, I love your smokes and I cannot wait to try the Cruzado line soon.

Dion, I'm just obsessed with your stuff man! got a box of ~23~, ~2~, and cg:4...who knows what's next. :laugh: :whistling:

Hey, what the hell is wrong with big donkey di*k cigars?

You had fun, huh? Still ain't enough to make me come to Reno. Looks like a plan, Dion.

Yeah man, good times. Come to Reno and we'll go shoot the shit out of some cans in the desert!

Great read Dion thanks for the update. As always your cigars are smoking fantastic. I really feel the cruzados need a little rest time and they will be fantastic. Sounds like a great trip all around and keep those blends coming!

Hoping I can make it back out to your store sometime next year and have the pleasure of smoking with ya.

I bought a box of the MKs and Cruzados at the Illusione event at Azucar on Saturday...

Just finished smoking a cruzado about 5 minutes ago and it now ranks among my favorites.. That's a special smoke. VERY tasty.

Many thanks!

-Damien

Always good to hear about a possible new product from your camp.

Of course, if you need any help in the taste testing of new blends, I can give you the addy of a few people I know.... :whistling: ;)

Glad you had a good time.

Tim

Thanks for the update Dion and I'm happy things are going so well for you. You are definitely correct about JD, he's a great BOTL and very knowledgable as well. Talk with you soon......

Charlie

Looking forward to more of your creations, Dion. Once you try an Illusione there's nothing else that quite matches up.

Very nice to hear Dion. And thanks for providing a wide range of vitolas. ;) That 44x4.5 is right up my alley.

Great sizes, Dion. Right up my alley. Very interesting to hear the updates straight from the man. I can't wait to try anything new you have out, too. :thumbs:

There is no mention of th ECCJ anywhere in your update. When can we get some?????