• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Illusione ~hl~

handypilot

Illusione ~hk~
40 x 7 1/2"

Filler: Nicaragua (Corojo ’99, Criollo ’98?)
Binder: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaragua (Café Colorado)
Smoking Time: ~ 2 hrs
Price: MSRP $8.70

I've recently been turned on to the Illusione line when I smoked a 2 a coupe weeks ago, and an 88 a couple days ago. Both had really good flavors, but I enjoyed the 2 the best...it was a tad sweeter. Overall these are fantastic cigars. I picked up the 88 and HL at my local B&M. They only had the HL and 88, and indicated that they will eventually get some other vitolas to try (I hope). The HL were practically gone within a week, so that's a good indication of its quality!

My wife and kids went to the mall this afternoon to finish up their back-to-school shopping. Since shopping is never a sprint and more of a marathon with woman, I decided I had enough time to partake in the HL...in peace. The afternoon was fantastic. Clear skies, a dry 70 degrees, and no wind...a perfect day in my book! My patio awaits!

Here's an accounting of my wonderful experience:

Prelight: A prelight draw yielded earthy tobacco flavor, with hint of floral sweat. Wrapper has a little sheen of oil, descent construction, with semi-smooth colorado wrapper, and only 1 medium sized vein through the wrapper. Draw was loose but not bad-loose, just providing a tinge of resistance. I don't smoke lanceros often, but I've read that they can have a tight draw due to the ring size. This was not the case at all with the HL

Lit easily with an initial even toasting.

1/3. Draw is a little on loose side, but again, not bad. Light to medium bodied, short finish, smooth. Earthy-floral aroma. Semi-sweet (that earthy sweet like other Illusiones) with a little spice. Plenty of smoke. Burn was slightly uneven but corrected itself. 1/2 to 1" ash holds tight to the burning foot.

2/3. More smoke and more medium bodied. Sweetness more plentiful...still floral or earthy sweetness..not a caramel sweetness. Woody, earthy, tobacco flavors. Still very smooth and the spice has taken backseat. Draw is almost perfect now. Medium in strength, and relaxing on a full stomach.

3/3. Spice coming back more with a more lasting finish. Sweetness has subsided, but still the floral sweat. Aroma...sweat and earthy. Smoke still medium to full. Very similar to the 88 now.

Towards the end it got sweater and the spice is again in the back seat. Relight once but went inside to take a phone call that lasted about a minute. Spice is coming back again and the finish is lasting. Burn is real good and even. Draw has tightened up a little to provide the perfect draw. Finished off with the smoke a little hot but not bitter, which scores some points.

Overall: This was a really good cigar. Compared to the other Illusiones I've tried I would rank this very close to the 2 and better than the 88. The burn was a little off but always corrected itself, and had 1 relight. I account both of these to my humi being 70-72% right now. This stick was a little milder than the 2, still had good flavors, but not as pronounced as the 2. The sweetness was more subdued than with the 2. Additionally, it had smooth smoke with the occasional spice for complexity, which I like. The draw was just about perfect in my book, but if my humi was right at 65% then I could see it being a little too loose, as indicated by some other reviews. I'm thrilled with the Illusione line, and along with Casa Magna I'm really liking the Nicaraguan tobacco right now!!! :)

So far the HK and 2 will be normally stocked item...the 68 and MK are next on the Illusione list to try! I'm thinking the MK will be a perfect shorter version of the HK.

hl4.jpg

hl6.jpg

hl3.jpg

hl1.jpg

illusione-hl.jpg

hl2.jpg

hl5.jpg

Great review! This is an awesome cigar from my experience. Although I don't smoke lanceros very often, this is one of my favorites.

I enjoy most anything from this line of cigars. Do yourself a favor and pick up an MJ12 if you get the chance. It is my new favorite Illusione.

I enjoy most anything from this line of cigars. Do yourself a favor and pick up an MJ12 if you get the chance. It is my new favorite Illusione.

Oh...you can bet I'll try all of them, multiple times! :thumbs:

I think that the HL is the best in the Illusione line although I have yet to get my hand on an epernay or a "crown of thorns"
Oh yeah... Nice review
thumbs-up.gif

Love the HL. When I had it I thought it was almost overpowered with spice at the beginning - but settled down to be a great smoke. Thanks for the review and pics.

John

I'm not a big fan of lanceros (usually not enough smoke volume for my tastes) but I absolutely love these. So much flavor!

~Boar