• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm boycotting DC#'s

moki

el Presidente
After sending out far too many packages, I'm convinced that paying the extra $.45 for a DC# is useless. Often the post office doesn't update their computer systems until after the package is already there, and people worry that the package really wasn't sent because when they look up the number on the USPS web site, it says no item is listed.

You also can't trace DC#'s at all, and you don't know anything other than "it's been accepted" and "it's been delivered".

So where am I wrong on this? Should I keep using DC#'s, or am I just wasting my time?

I agree, I never use them with USPS. With UPS and FedEx I will because there system updates much quicker and is more detailed.

ads

What Neal said and also if you do not use a number of some kind there is no way to determine if a package has been deliverd. Just sent a package to a friend in Arkansas. It was sent to the wrong town. The Post Office was abel to track it down via the DC#. It had been delivered ,for some reason, to a Sharper Image store. It was located and forwarded to it's original destination. If I had not used DC# it would not have been found.

Neal has a good point. Save time and money by printing them from the USPS site.

Works great and DC# number is included as part of the transaction.

BenjieV :D

One thing to add. I've always looked at DC#'s as kind of insurance for me. Between friends it's not a big deal. But, there are people out there that take advantage, so I like to see that it has been delivered, even if it is after the fact.

Matt R said:
One thing to add. I've always looked at DC#'s as kind of insurance for me. Between friends it's not a big deal. But, there are people out there that take advantage, so I like to see that it has been delivered, even if it is after the fact.
Fair enough; but because DC'd packages don't need to be signed for, they can be delivered, but the person they are intended for may never get them. I've seen this happen; a packed is DC "delivered" to the wrong address (or someone takes the package), and the person who sent it says it was delivered, the receiver says he never saw hide nor hair of it.

Your tracking point is a good one; being able to get it for free when printing them online is a good point too, except that it doesn't work with most web browsers other than IE (and I dislike IE).

As mentioned already the service is free if you print your labels from their website. I'm not sure what difference it makes that the web site is not updated fast enough or until after the delivery since what you're paying for is delivery confirmation not tracking.

I could understand someone not using DC for gifts or bombs but wouldn't consider not using it for trades or purchases. More to protect myself that a package was indeed shipped than anything else.

I'm kinda surprised that people will squabble over .45 cents when shipping cigars.

If it's delivered, I'm covered, the way I see it. I have begun using signature confirmation instead, though, recently.

Moki:

I've posted this before, but a good example when DC was worth it for me:

I participated in a box split with other CPers in December. The originator of the split posted in a thread that packages were mailed out. After about 10 days, I realize I had not received the mailing. I emailed the originator letting him know it was AWOL and asked him if he had used a DC for the package. Luckily he had, but he hadn't posted the DCs at the time of shipment in the thread. I punched the code in online, saw that it had been received at my post office. I took that to my (small town) post office and told them about this package that I had never received nor ever received a notice of pick up. After a 15 minute search at my insistance, they find the box (properly addressed) but misnumbered by the post office handlers and thus, misshelved. If it hadn't been for that DC #, I would never had any proof that the package in fact existed and it would have sat there forever.

MilesMingusMonk said:
Moki:

I've posted this before, but a good example when DC was worth it for me:

I participated in a box split with other CPers in December. The originator of the split posted in a thread that packages were mailed out. After about 10 days, I realize I had not received the mailing. I emailed the originator letting him know it was AWOL and asked him if he had used a DC for the package. Luckily he had, but he hadn't posted the DCs at the time of shipment in the thread. I punched the code in online, saw that it had been received at my post office. I took that to my (small town) post office and told them about this package that I had never received nor ever received a notice of pick up. After a 15 minute search at my insistance, they find the box (properly addressed) but misnumbered by the post office handlers and thus, misshelved. If it hadn't been for that DC #, I would never had any proof that the package in fact existed and it would have sat there forever.
I was the other CPer and I was going to recite the exact same story.

I felt so good after that.

I like printing the labels on line as it saves a trip to the post office.

One time DC WAS indeed good for me as it confirmed the the friggin Post Office did indeed lose my CPIF package I sent to Ellman on January 9th.

This is the only time I ever lost a package in the mail. One other time in 1996, I lost a bunch of checks I had mailed to the bank for deposit. They never turned up and fortunately, almost everyone who wrote the original checks gave me new checks (they were proceeds from a tag sale for a political campaign and I had photo copied the checks!).

DC is NOT tracking like UPS or FedEx. I too question its value BUT as mentioned earlier, if it's free with preprinted labels, I'll take the freebie ;)

I guess it's worth the measly .45 cents.
You never know when the Post Office will somehow screw up your package. :angry:

I thimk the DC's are a good thing as stated above, but the insuring of passes seems to be more a waste. I believe the USPS will not make good on "perishable" items under their insurance. I know I heard that hear, but wondering if it's really so or if as usual I am wrong... :D

Y'all can send me some cigar samplers and we'll test out how accurate the DC's are!

LilCigarDude.gif
~Monte

Back