• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm struggling to keep the humidity at 70%

gardkarlsen

Hi

Last summer I bought a humidor and I have used a Heartfeld humitity tube to keep the humidity at the correct level. To start with this worked like a charm but when the winter came along I'm struggling to keep the humidity level up. One day when I checked I was down to 55 and the humidity tube was completely dry. I have refilled the tube several times but I'm still struggling to get it higher than 60%. Should I buy a new humidity tube in addition to the one I already have? Is the air normally a lot drier during the colder winter than in the summer time?

The air is a lot dryer during the winter months which may be causing your issue. Having more beads then neccasary wont hurt anything. Also check to make sure there are no leaks inside the humi. A lot of time in winter the sealing strips on the doors of my humi dry and somtimes crack due to the dry air.

That happens in the winter. Try moving it away from any vents that might blow on or near it. Other than that just keep a check on the humidifier. I check mine every week during the winter.

I had the same problem. I'm not sure how big your humi is but I've got 2 desktops that I managed to keep up to 70% by putting them in a large ziplock bag together (really large, for camping, sports equipment etc, they are loctated with the other zip locks at my grocery store). I open the bag once a week (minimum - usually more) to air it out and check the humidity in the humis and it's been 70% for the last month. If you do go this route (it's not pretty and the wife complains) be sure to air out the bag first, I hung mine on the back of a door knob for a couple of days and all the 'plastic smell' was gone.

Mike

If you can fit them, more beads are a great option and cheap insurance in my opinion. Humidity will always drop in the winter naturally as well as indoors because of the heat. More beads gives you a better buffer and quicker rebound. Best of luck!

Gard, I had the exact same problem. My humidor works great most of the year. But this winter as the humidity in my house dropped, I had to constantly check and refill the humidity tubes every few days.

My solution several weeks ago was to move all my cigars into a Coleman cooler. This works great and requires almost no maintenance. Now I feel my cigar collection is safe.

I've got the same problem. I dont' think there is much you can do but ride it out. Humidity around here is generally about 50% during the winter; trying to raise it 20% in a little wooden box that's not air tight is near impossible. The cigars have won and I'm happy with around 63% - 65%.

When I ran a desktop, I had the same problems. Take the little sponge humidifier that probably came with your humidor, wet it with distilled water, and put it in the humidor with the beads. Two or three days should do it.

Once the heat comes on at my house I move the cigars to the basement. We don't have heat down there and its a cooler area and thus easier to keepmy humidor at 65% humidity. IF your able to you might want to do the same.

When I ran a desktop, I had the same problems. Take the little sponge humidifier that probably came with your humidor, wet it with distilled water, and put it in the humidor with the beads. Two or three days should do it.

I have also used the sponge and added some distilled water to that but I'm still struggling to keep the level above 60% ???

My desktop has the same issue. During the winter months I put in a drymistat tube and it keeps it right at 65% and it only takes the place of one cigar. When it warms back up I go back to just the gel.

Good Luck!!!

Can i do this if i use the gel??

I have also used the sponge and added some distilled water to that but I'm still struggling to keep the level above 60% ???

I'm having the same problem! I'm having problems hitting 60% been at 58% for the last 18 hours.

Add another humidifier. A bowl of water is OK but you need another real humidifier. Beads are OK but they don't handle winter really well. I suggest them for large cabinets or coolers only.

Crystal gel rectangle or ice crystal jar or drymistat tubes are the way to go for a desktop. Double up in winter and fill them more often.

I've had the same problem with my humidor. I haven't been able to get above 60%, but most of the time it's even lower. Unfortunately, and I don't know why this is, but a container of still water just doesn't do the trick. It's the same when seasoning your humidor for the first time...... a damp sponge or rag is quicker and far more effective than setting a dish of water inside your humidor. I think the trick is take many of the precautions outlined above to ensure your rh never drops below the desired range. Once it does however, I believe the best and maybe the only option is to reseason it. You'll need to move all of the sticks to plastic bags or airtight containers along with your humidity tube, and reseason as you did when you first got your humidor. I've found the issue with a humidor to be that as the rh drops, the wood shrinks and the seal worsens, which only makes it more difficult to maintain the rh. It's kind of a snowball effect. I'm actually in the process of reseasoning my humidor now and will be reintroducing my cigars tomorrow. Without any humidification device and completely empty it's held steady at 69% for more than 24 hrs. Thank goodness you don't have to go through this with a coolidor.... which btw is the way to go. I don't know what it is but even with the cooler, I still like to keep my humi full. Old habits die hard I guess.

I had the some problem. I moved all my cigars to a plastic container and reseasoned the humidor (which took a couple of days). It's been holding steady at about 68%. I am also using beads, but have to recharge them every couple of days. You just have to keep a closer eye on them during the winter months when you are running the heater.