• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In boxes or out of boxes?

Forge

I have several boxes now in my humidor and was wondering if people take cigars out of the boxes and put them on the racks, or if they prefer to leave them in the boxes.

For those who leave the cigars in the box, do you crack open the lid so air can move in and out of the box, or do you leave it shut?

You know this cigar storage thing is very difficult and confusing Clint.

I keep my cigars in the boxes. If they have cellophane I leave it on. I don't crack the lids. The boxes are not airtight and humidity will get in.

This has been discussed.

You can also look in the 'humidor' section and the gallery to see what folks have in their humi! ;)

Good luck.

I keep my cigars in the boxes. If they have cellophane I leave it on. I don't crack the lids. The boxes are not airtight and humidity will get in.
Yes, he's right - the boxes aren't airight so there's no need to worry about humidity not reaching them. I keep mine in boxes as well, also with the lids closed. Don't o
verthink humi storage too much, or you'll drive yourself crazy. Trust me on that!

If a cigar store can keep unopened boxes in their humidor, so can I. I prefer to take the plastic wrap off the box. I'm paranoid about the tobacco beetles. Especially in my collection. As for cello, I keep them on. I'm not a fan of different cigars marinating together. My best friend showed how that can turn ugly when he had a LFD Factory Press next to a Padron 1926 #2 Maduro in my humidor. I told him to seperate them and I never looked. I wished I would have looked since the Padron wasn't smoke-able after that incident. I gave him clear instructions and I should have known better with him. :laugh:

As for keeping cigars in boxes with the lid open or closed. I always keep them closed. Again, if a cigar store can do it, so can I. :D

I always remove my cigars from the boxes, remove the cellophane and labels, and store them such that the prevalent magnetic fields pass orthogonally through them. That would be, of course with the feet stored pointing closest to magnetic north. You'll need a very accurate milligauss meter to make the alignment accurately.

Or, you can just leave them in the boxes and call it good. Like every B&M in the known universe does......:whistling:

I always remove my cigars from the boxes, remove the cellophane and labels, and store them such that the prevalent magnetic fields pass orthogonally through them. That would be, of course with the feet stored pointing closest to magnetic north. You'll need a very accurate milligauss meter to make the alignment accurately.

Or, you can just leave them in the boxes and call it good. Like every B&M in the known universe does......
whistling.gif

Hmmmmm, I see a room with nice soft white padding with a tiny window in your future....... lmao
Everyone knows you keep the cello on, but put them back in backwards and on thier bellies so the oils migrate back and forth and, of course no band dont wanna choke them when there resting.

Thanks for the input.

Loren, do you think if you would have put a tray divider between the Padron and LFD, would it have transferred the taste over?

What got me thinking was this very same question I asked an old timer at the local B&M the other day. He was telling me that as long as the cigars don’t touch (i.e. swapping oils.... mmm cigar sex??), they shouldn’t influence each other. He suggested taking everything out of the boxes, take off the cello and just separate them with dividers. He claimed that it would receive better air circulation, even moisture through the cigars, and less prone to mold (due to better air circulation). He stated that shops leave them in boxes simply to keep them from occurring any damage, and it’s easier to sell 20 cigars in a nice box then 20 loose cigars in a baggy at the same price.

Not only would this be a pain in the ass to organize on trays, but just sounded fishy to me. While he seemed to have good knowledge of cigars and their history, I figured I would ask you guys here at CP.

Thanks again,

- Forge

Thanks for the input.

Loren, do you think if you would have put a tray divider between the Padron and LFD, would it have transferred the taste over?

What got me thinking was this very same question I asked an old timer at the local B&M the other day. He was telling me that as long as the cigars don’t touch (i.e. swapping oils.... mmm cigar sex??), they shouldn’t influence each other. He suggested taking everything out of the boxes, take off the cello and just separate them with dividers. He claimed that it would receive better air circulation, even moisture through the cigars, and less prone to mold (due to better air circulation). He stated that shops leave them in boxes simply to keep them from occurring any damage, and it’s easier to sell 20 cigars in a nice box then 20 loose cigars in a baggy at the same price.

Not only would this be a pain in the ass to organize on trays, but just sounded fishy to me. While he seemed to have good knowledge of cigars and their history, I figured I would ask you guys here at CP.

Thanks again,

- Forge

Mold will form if the humidity is too high, regardless of air circulation. The only way circulation would help in that regard is if there was one spot with high humidity and one spot with very low humidity. The circulation may help with making the humidity even throughout, but won't prevent mold from forming if the RH is too high.

As for cello, I keep them on. I'm not a fan of different cigars marinating together. My best friend showed how that can turn ugly when he had a LFD Factory Press next to a Padron 1926 #2 Maduro in my humidor. I told him to seperate them and I never looked. I wished I would have looked since the Padron wasn't smoke-able after that incident.

What was the issue?

As for cello, I keep them on. I'm not a fan of different cigars marinating together. My best friend showed how that can turn ugly when he had a LFD Factory Press next to a Padron 1926 #2 Maduro in my humidor. I told him to seperate them and I never looked. I wished I would have looked since the Padron wasn't smoke-able after that incident.

What was the issue?

Take a really dark and oily LFD with no cello and put it next to a high end Padron. Then let them touch the entire length of the wrapper for a few months. I think it was 4+ months. Then fire the Padron up and you will see exactly what the issue is. :p It literally ruins the taste of the Padron in this instance. Hard to describe other than the Padron tasted like a LFD Double Ligro Chisel and a mix of something really wrong going on the inside. LOL!!!

It would only cost you a good $30 to find out. :laugh: