• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Increasing Aging Rate through Heating

ivan37

Monkey Man
Anyone keep their cigars that are aging at high temps? The only reason I've ever heard why you shouldn't let them get over 70 F is to prevent beatles, but if you've frozen the cigars is there any reason why you shouldn't keep them at 80, 90, 100 or more? Obviously at some point bad things will start to happen to the cigars, but anyone know what that point is at?

Yeah, yeah - I can wait - I was just putting some cigars away for aging today and it got me thinking...

Thanks

ivan37 said:
...is there any reason why you shouldn't keep them at 80, 90, 100 or more? Obviously at some point bad things will start to happen to the cigars, but anyone know what that point is at?
Sounds like a great experiment for you. Let us know your findings. :D

Yeah, if no one else has tried it, I will. I was already trying to figure out how I'd do it... :)

uh.....what about mold? that's another reason to keep 'em below 80

ivan37 said:
I was already trying to figure out how I'd do it... :)
When you get near 100...you might want to consider the oven. :)

I wouldn't experiment with anything worth a damn though....use the rockets... :D

Leebo8-9-8 said:
I wouldn't experiment with anything worth a damn though....use the rockets... :D
Well...I'd want something I was familiar with. Not dog rockets because I wouldn't know how they might react to heat. But yes, not top shelf because they might turn into dog rockets :)

Is there not a difference between aging and fermintation. I would think that at a higher temp the tobacco would over fermint and start to break down if the mold didnt get to it first. Thus I would think that at a higher temp for a long time your long filler is going to become short filler or it might even look like a bettle was eating at it. Does this stand to make any sence. Or am I just Late for bed?

I personally think he should take the best sticks he has and age them at a temp of 100+...it would really be interesting to see the results. This could be ground breaking research. :D

Ahhh what some folks won't do for the betterment of society ;)

Look for warnings of Ploom which higher temps will surely create along with most likely some good mold.

BenjieV :D

P.S. Good Luck with the Experiment don't forget to document your research. Times, Temps etc.

TheBeast said:
I personally think he should take the best sticks he has and age them at a temp of 100+...it would really be interesting to see the results. This could be ground breaking research. :D
Yea, I'll take a nice stick and age it under a torch.... :D :D

Not to mention that freezing doesn't kill beetle eggs ... so yeah, let 'em get hot.

Take lots of pics. :)

Sometimes there is no short cut. Sometimes it is better to just wait and let nature take it's course.

Sam

Well...sometimes it takes a visionary to break common thought and belief...so let us just see what he finds. :D

I've been reading stuff on aging, temps, mold, etc. The only certain thing I found is that there isn't any real scientific information on cigars and temps. So, I'm just going to play around with things. Initially I'm just going to see if experiments are even remotely viable at high temps (see if i can prevent mold, etc).

If things look possible at that point then I'm going to do some better (controlled and recorded) experiments.

FYI, freezing only kills beetles or beetle larvae. Beetle eggs do quite well in freezing temps and when you bring it back up, bingo...congratulations you'll be the proud pappa of a new litter of bettle hatchlings.

Reminds me of the time my local cigar contact told me about this guy who thought he was one step ahead of the game...he froze the sticks, brought them back up gradually, heard about freezing not killing beetle eggs, so he then, get this, microwaves them all, then freezes them again to be sure no eggs hatched as he was bringing them back up. Think they survived to even be something you'd even think of putting in your mouth? Hardly.