• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Infusion Experiment

wrussell46

Davidoff Sherpa
Last year I grabbed some of the loose leaf that Acid and Tabak cigar boxes are packed with for a humidor project I put together for a close friend.
I have a good amount left in a ziplock bag and one day I was looking at it contemplating what would happen if I stuff a cigar in there.
Dr. Kafie of Kafie 1901 Cigars has been known to flavor personal cigars using coffee beans, and while I haven’t tried that yet, that was my inspiration for this experiment.

I stuffed a Charter Oak Maduro in the loose leaf with a 72% Boveda at the beginning of February and pulled it out last week.

It’s been sequestered for about a week in its own bag to stabilize and I’ll smoke it soon. The color change was very interesting and quite dramatic. I’m not expecting a massive flavor difference, but I do expect it to have changed. The cigar is about 2 years aged already.

Has anyone else tried something like this?

92CE914E-0614-440D-9C91-628593CF0C72.jpeg9988180E-21D0-4267-8960-2526C0CDBB47.jpeg23254861-4D8D-4185-BA9D-E983F5C92648.jpeg995EAA94-165E-4006-ACE4-AD6A497E34DF.jpeg

I remember Gaby telling us about that a few years ago when he was on the v-herf. He did say that it's pretty inconsistent, at best, IIRC.

Someone on here (usually a smoking newbie) attempts the "infusion process" in some way or another once a year or once every other year, or so. I will never try and dissuade someone from experimenting, but I will say that there's a reason you don't see any long-running threads on the subject. Give it a search on here and you are bound to find some of the attempts.

I thought it was an interesting concept, but nothing I would try. And I never asked him what he did with the coffee beans afterwards! Grind and brew…or discard?

What I found in my Forum Search was interesting…certainly a bunch of different ideas and techniques, none of which have ever crossed my mind.
If this bag of loose leaf wasn’t laying about I wouldn’t have sought it out to try.

The idea also of taking a “cheap stick” and attempting to “make it better” wasn’t part of my thought process. Charter Oak cigars are terrific and I have half a box left from 2021 so it was a relatively easy sacrifice.

One of these days I’m going to “paint” a cigar with Tequila as well…I have a bunch of cedar spills laying about.

I thought it was an interesting concept, but nothing I would try. And I never asked him what he did with the coffee beans afterwards! Grind and brew…or discard?

What I found in my Forum Search was interesting…certainly a bunch of different ideas and techniques, none of which have ever crossed my mind.
If this bag of loose leaf wasn’t laying about I wouldn’t have sought it out to try.

The idea also of taking a “cheap stick” and attempting to “make it better” wasn’t part of my thought process. Charter Oak cigars are terrific and I have half a box left from 2021 so it was a relatively easy sacrifice.

One of these days I’m going to “paint” a cigar with Tequila as well…I have a bunch of cedar spills laying about.
Painting with tequila isn't worth it. Makes the cigar taste like tequila but lose all of its natural nuances. Go a head and try but don't expect much.

It smoked well, though it was still quite moist. I dry boxed for a week.

Fun to play around, nothing cosmic flavor wise. The loose leaf did impart more flavor than expected. Obviously though if one desires a flavored or infused cigar to smoke one designed that way.

AA67CC7D-315A-49CB-BE0F-EA3A3D9D7BE6.jpeg

Back