• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

INTRO PLUS ROMEO & JULIETA MILLE FLEURS

Rob

Hello fellow BOTLS

My name is Rob and I thought a couple of introductory lines are in order before the review. I have been a silent reader of this forum and community for a long time. I hail from Europe, Slovenia to be exact and have been regular smoker for about 5 years. I generally prefer strong, full bodied, full flavored smokes, but smoke milder sticks as well. In the beginning I smoked mostly cheap machine made cubans, which, for the money in general were not bad. But more quality with regards to cubans demands more dough and not in linear capacity but rather in exponential capacity. So now I predominantly smoke premium NC, which, by the way, have caught up with ISOMS regarding over-all quality, but are more affordable, even with all the shipping and taxes, although cubans are also in my rotation, but to a lesser extent. Plus, their machine bunched/hand wrapped stogies have greatly improved as of end 2007, so I try to include them also. As I decided to start reviewing myself, I decided to join your great community and hope to be appreciated member for a long time. Now, enough rant, here goes my review. Feel free to comment, add or correct me.

If anyone is interested, version with photos can be found at http://cigarvault.blogspot.com
(I haven`t found a help section on posting links and am having trouble. Can anyone assist me how to post just a CLICK link?)

ROMEO & JULIETA MILLE FLEURS
PETIT CORONA

Origin: Cuba
Wrapper: Cuba
Binder: Cuba
Filler: Cuba

Place of purchase: Local B & M

TASTING SHEET RESULTS

SIZE: 5x42
APPEARANCE: very good: uniform brown color with a few minor dark and green specks, veiny wrapper, with nice seams and triple cap, slight box-press with oily sheen
CONSTRUCTION: very good: firm bunch, tight seams, but with a patched head
DRAW: firm
BURN: average to good, tipical thick »cuban« mascara, wavy with problems halfway into the smoke, a couple of touch-ups needed
AROMA: excellent, buttery cocoa and leather
FLAVOR: very good
DOMINANT FLAVORS: leather, earth, caramel, coffee
AFTERTASTE: earth, leather, a touch of cocoa
STRENGHT: moderate
SMOKING TIME: ~ 100 minutes
GENERAL IMPRESSION: average

CUT: Xikar
PRELIGHT: leather earth, floral notes
LIGHT: torch flame lighter, took some time
BEVERAGE: coffee black

1/3:
Upon light, leather opens the show immediately with earth and slightly floral and bitter notes. Nose blow salty leather with a hint of caramel. The smoke is smooth. Nearing second third toasty caramel joins the mix, complementing leather. By now, all bitterness subsided. Very compact ash.

2/3:
Leather still dominates with woody finish and coffee undertones, while hints of vanilla start popping in and out.

3/3:
Leather keeps the centerstage. At this point burn issues start and it shows on the smoke as bitterness returns with wood charr. After ashing a hole reveals itself in the filler, causing problems. Two touch-ups were applied but the smoke just kept going south.

NUB:
Bitter wood. No tar build-up.

This one is from my second box of these. I have half a box left. Based on their performance, I will not purchase a third box. They are not very expensive, but not greatest value for money based on what they deliver. They are okay, but nothing to write home about.

Rob

These are very good value for money, especially in this part of the cigar buying world.
They are one of my favorite ISOM's at the moment. I really like em.

Good job on deciding to join the community and stop lurking. Much more rewarding this way.

So, welcome.

Very descriptive review as well. RyJ get a bit of a bad reputation with casual cigar smokers down her in Australia, because of their Tubo No3 being kept in horrible conditions in petrol stations that make them unsmokable.

Of course, when you go about it properly, properly stored RyJ cigars can be an excellent smoke. I will always have a soft spot for their Churchill (with some age = phenomenal), though they do a lot of medium-bodied cigars that deserve a regular spot in the humidor.

Hey Anvil

When I purchased them, a box cost me 70 euros (approx. 100 bucks, local rate) at local B&M, now they go for 100 euros or 150 bucks. For about 10-15 percent less, I now prefer to smoke Partagas Mille Fleurs. Different flavor profile, but stronger smoke :)

I will still keep some RyJ MF on hand for a change of pace, but no more boxes for me.

Thanks for the comment on ashtray. It is somewhat unique, but practical also. It`s light, small, holds ash for about a churchill, plus I have no fears if it falls off the table, it`s made of wood with metal plating and cigar rest.

They are around Au$210 a box for the RnJ's down here, which is not bad. :laugh:

I have yet to try the Partagas Mille Fleurs. I will have to pick a couple up and check em out. I like a cigar with a bit of a kick to it, with my breakfast coffee on the weekend. :sign:

I like the other reviews on your linked page. The series R especially, as they are another NC I dig.

Glad to see that you decided to join, nice reveiw here, i have yet to have one of these. Also, you have put together a nice web-site, it's well written and has good pictures, yea the ashtray is cool, i'll be looking forward to more reviews.

Welcome

Sam