• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

iPhone...

davidr2340

Craft Beer Lover...
Apple iPhone

techhero_specs20070109.jpg

EDIT - Added pic..

Damn that thing is pretty sweet. If they stick to the proposed $200 price tag it would be a steal for anyone already in the market for a new phone or ipod - 8GB is a pretty decent amount of storage. Any word on which carrier this will be available through or did I miss that in the description?

EDIT - Looks like it will be exclusive through Cingular.

Damn that thing is pretty sweet. If they stick to the proposed $200 price tag it would be a steal for anyone already in the market for a new phone or ipod - 8GB is a pretty decent amount of storage. Any word on which carrier this will be available through or did I miss that in the description?

You got me all excited for nothing. :(

"The iPhone will come in two versions, a 4GB $499 model, and an 8GB $599 model with a two-year contract. Both will be available beginning in June. Cingular will be the exclusive U.S. carrier."

Good old Apple - Even though they are just repackaging technology and marketing it as if it were new (sorry Steve, touch-screens are nothing new), people will still go ape-shit trying to buy it driving up demand and keep their prices disturbingly high relative to the rest of their competition (and it will most likely have some major defect, like every thing they release, and they will deny anything is wrong until just as the warranty is up and they release the fixed "upgrade" version). I think Stevie-boy could give Vince McMahon a run for his money when it comes to PR and marketing!

That being said, it looks a lot better than I thought it was going to, and I don't doubt it will be just as hard to get a hold of as my Pocket PC cell phone was last year (instantly selling out every delivery causing nationwide backorders for weeks at a time). One glaring failure - it runs on Cingular's older Edge network instead of it's much faster 3G network (not surprising considering that's Apple's MO, but still disappointing all the same - Edge will probably be good enough for the basic/target audience). Competition is good, and the high-powered palmtop market is small, so hopefully this will jump-start the market and even better stuff will be coming out for Pocket PC's - the technology has finally caught up to what people thought it was going to be like 7-10 years ago when Palm was king.

"The iPhone will come in two versions, a 4GB $499 model, and an 8GB $599 model with a two-year contract. Both will be available beginning in June. Cingular will be the exclusive U.S. carrier."
Damn that did seem pretty cheap. This article is wrong, damn Canadians!

Hey hey, the article may be printed in a Canadian newspaper but it's an article from:

Duncan Martell, Reuters
that quotes American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu: "Wu estimates that a 1% share of a billion unit market, with the iPhone carrying an average price tag of $200, could mean about US$2-billion a year more for the Cupertino, California-based company."

I luv my smart phone.

Touch screen PDA. Excellent phone coverage. Expandable memory (2 gig card in now)
EVDO for internet browsing. Windows mobile, WMA and Mp3 player capability.Hell of a phone and I paid under 200.oo for it (thanks to employer discount).

Why would I need an over glorified IPOD??

I agree Steveie is a marketing genious. He marketed those IPOD's tremendously. I have had a ZEn microphoto which is far superiod to an IPOD and cost me half the price.

AC3 FTMFL!!!!!
MP3, WMA and AC3 FTMFW!!!

I luv my smart phone.

Touch screen PDA. Excellent phone coverage. Expandable memory (2 gig card in now)
EVDO for internet browsing. Windows mobile, WMA and Mp3 player capability.Hell of a phone and I paid under 200.oo for it (thanks to employer discount).

I agree Steveie is a marketing genious. He marketed those IPOD's tremendously. I have had a ZEn microphoto which is far superiod to an IPOD and cost me half the price.

AC3 FTMFL!!!!!

It's actually not just a "glorified iPod". The integration of all the features in the phone/web are what makes it a cool technology. There should be alot of phone makers extermely worried about this especially if Apple continues down this road and takes over the market like they did with the iPod.

I don't care if cingular was giving out free Ipod Phones with built in TVs and a free year service, cingular sucks here in TN and in Alabama (when I lived there I had it.)

I like my Verizon Pocket PC phone also. :thumbs:

I luv my smart phone.

AC3 FTMFL!!!!!

It's actually not just a "glorified iPod". The integration of all the features in the phone/web are what makes it a cool technology. There should be alot of phone makers extermely worried about this especially if Apple continues down this road and takes over the market like they did with the iPod.

Alot of smart phones that have been on the market for a cple years that have a majority of the features minus the proprietary format APPLE uses to encode their music .

Touchscreen, large displays, mp3/wma playback vis WM player, EVDO,wi/fi,bluetooth and all the other good stuff.

I dont think anyone has anything to worry about. Now if the IPhone goes multi carrier..than I would worry. Luckily they are stuck on Cingulars old crappy edge network.

I luv my smart phone.

AC3 FTMFL!!!!!

If you have a touch screen, then it's not a smart phone - it's a Pocket PC. It makes a big difference when you try to install software for a Pocket PC that requires a touch screen and you only have a smart phone ;)

The iPhone is not a glorified iPod - it's a PDA/cell phone that runs on a Mac based OS instead of Windows, and has media capabilities like every other Pocket PC - the iPod is simply a limited media player. It's intentionally marketed/hyped like it is to fool people into thinking it's a glorified iPod so it will appeal to people who would be intimidated by full powered PDAs in the first place - something that will appeal to the less tech savvy crowd that couldn't figure out, or be bothered to figure out, how to do the same thing on a Pocket PC. Most people are ignorant and lazy and won't be bothered with these specifics - Apple counts on it, and it's a genius move on their part, but it's really Apple's first generation competitor for existing PDA devices. What the Newton should have been, if you can remember that far back :p

Not really - web capable Pocket PC's and Smartphones have been out for quite a while, and about 95% of all Windows Mobile based devices are in fact manufactured by one company: HTC (all but 2 of Dell's Pocket PC's, HP/Compaq, Cingular, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, Dopod, etc - all sell re-branded HTC devices). HTC has nothing to worry about from Apple's freshman effort into their completely dominated world-wide market - heck Apple could only dream of having that kind of market share! Phone manufacturers have nothing to worry about either - the vast majority of people still want cell phones to be just phones, and they want them free or cheap when they sign contracts - despite all the marketing aimed at the younger generations.

One thing to remember - Cingular has a habit of missing deadlines by quite a margin, especially when you consider this quote from the bottom of every page on the iPhone site:

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

Hey hey, the article may be printed in a Canadian newspaper but it's an article from:

Duncan Martell, Reuters
that quotes American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu: "Wu estimates that a 1% share of a billion unit market, with the iPhone carrying an average price tag of $200, could mean about US$2-billion a year more for the Cupertino, California-based company."

Wow, what a load of crap! That article was dated today, the same day that the details for the iPhone were released, and yet every single friggin thing in it is 100% wrong, not even coming close to the mark! The mainstream media of today is a pathetic imitation of the tabloids of yesterday - quite sad when you think that most people still believe the crap that they spew out all the time...

This product will take off like a rocket.....

I love listening to Windows users...... sounds like dolphins squealing

This product will take off like a rocket.....

I love listening to Windows users...... sounds like dolphins squealing

I used to be a Windows fan too. Finally got sick of all the Microsoft BS. I've been beta testing Vista for the past 6 months and all it did was crash. Now that I have an official version, it still sucks. Rip off of OSX, and a poor replication at that.

I'm ordering my new iMac tonight.

I have an iMac, iBook, iPod (40GB) & a shuffle....

I have a Palm PDA also.... from what I understand they are phasing them out.

I was looking into getting a TREO.... but now I am gonna wait for this to come out.

Welcome to the better side Rod....... LOL