• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

iPod Help

benjiev

"The Honorable"
Bought my daughter an iPod got it loaded up on one computer which was great, fine no problems. Well I made the "big" mistake of plugging it into my other home computer to load some additional songs onto it for her, not the original mother computer I did the initial install, uhhhh bad news folks all the music dissapeared gone nada.

Well for any of you who have kids knows this was not a popular move :( Especially since she had all her special songs on it.

Here's my problem I also found out that this iPod from what I gather needs iTunes to download the music (I really need to learn this stuff, but hey the 8 track is still working fine). Anyway when I go to download the software I get a error message and ultimately it aborts the download. Look I can run a city, sell you a house, but I am really sucking wind on his iPod thing.

Any suggestions ......

I don't know how you put music on it without iTunes, unless your computer recognized it as an externam hard drive (which it is) and you copied the music to the iPod as files.

In any case, do a hard reset on the iPod:

1. Press the Play and Menu buttons for 10 seconds.
2. When you see the Apple logo, press and hold the Previous and Next buttons for 10 seconds.

This should refresh it to factory settings. Then install iTunes on one of your machines, have it search for all the music on your computer, and then sync your ipod to it. Don't try to sync the iPod to iTunes on 2 different computers.

iPods are fairly simple, as long as you play by Apple's rules, and use iTunes to manage it.

JK

You don't really need iTunes to download the music btw. You just need it to manage how you put the songs on the iPod. You can download songs from anywhere and add them to the iPod through iTunes.

As for her songs being gone, if they were erased, nothing you can do about it; sorry. Just do what Jim said and you shouldn't have any more problems.

There IS a way to get songs on an iPod from two different computers (requires extra 3rd party software), but from the sound of it, it is best for you to take the easy street and upload iTunes on your daughter's computer. Through iTunes she can make "Smart Playlists" and normal Playlists, listen to internet Radio, and download music legally. The best part about the iPod is when she is/starts driving she can buy a car adapter than allows the iPod to play music through the car stereo through a radio transmitter--great for long car trips, and safer with less distraction by radio buttons and switching stations.

iTunes is available for both Windows and Mac.

I was able to get the songs on a buddy's Windows formatted iPod onto my Mac formatted iPod in January. I also did the iPod hack and changed around some of the pictures and text on the iPod's harddrive.

I just went through the same thing. The software runs like a dictatorship. I just got back from taking mine back. spent 2 days messing with that stupid thing. While I was there, this evening, I asked to speak to the most knowledgeable person about these "mp3" players. Found out that lots of people have problems with them. The guy said that they are not even the best out there, and that they don't actually play mp3s but rather special iTunes files. I am going to now look into one made by Creative Labs that is supposed to be more compatable with other softwares.

So my advice is to take it back for a refund.

Good luck!

Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Just go back to the computer you oaded on and itunes will have the music saved. Unless you removed the software or got ride of the computer. Plug it in and reload it back. Ipod and itunes has a copyright thing that sucks only one computer reg. to download on. In the manual there is a way to turn the ipod into a storagemedia then you can download more music. Just my two cents. hope tht helped :blush:

I was always told never to use any other computer with my Ipod..... I use a Mac and iTunes and would never use anything else.

For future reference......Try this web site.... http://www.ilounge.com/index.php
Alot of good information

Also buy "iPod & iTunes for Dummies" It helped me greatly.

One last piece of information........ Leave your children's computer devices alone !!! They know how to work them better than you do !!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You guys are missing the main reason why the iPod was erased. The first thing you need to do is make sure the iPod is set to manual update. If it is on auto-update, and you hook it up to a machine with empty playlists, the iPod with auto-update with empty playlists.

Do not take it back. The iPod is hands down the best and most reliable mp3 player on the market. Regardless if you are on a mac or PC, you want iTunes, as it is also, hands down, the best software out there for managing playlists.

Now if you are going to actually pay for downloads, you don't have to have iTunes, but if you download music from iTunes, it will only play on an iPod. You can also download mp3s from napster, rhapsody and any other programs, as long as they are mp3s.

You can also rip cds to mps and store on the iPod as well.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I have been an avid mac user/iPod user for life.

As far as hooking it up to multiple machines, no 3rd party software is needed. If you want to take music from the iPod and transfer it to a machine other then the original computer it came from, then you need 3rd party software :)

mhortsch said:
As far as hooking it up to multiple machines, no 3rd party software is needed. If you want to take music from the iPod and transfer it to a machine other then the original computer it came from, then you need 3rd party software :)
[snapback]205797[/snapback]​
As long as you hook up a Mac formatted iPod to a Mac Computer and a Windows formatted iPod to a Windows computer.... correct ?

atuck said:
I just went through the same thing. The software runs like a dictatorship. I just got back from taking mine back. spent 2 days messing with that stupid thing. While I was there, this evening, I asked to speak to the most knowledgeable person about these "mp3" players. Found out that lots of people have problems with them. The guy said that they are not even the best out there, and that they don't actually play mp3s but rather special iTunes files. I am going to now look into one made by Creative Labs that is supposed to be more compatable with other softwares.

So my advice is to take it back for a refund.

Good luck!
[snapback]205709[/snapback]​

Sorry to hear you had such a hard time with yours. The guy who said that iPods cannot play mp3 files is full of crap. iPods support mp3, ACC, Apple lossless, WAV, AIFF, and a couple others. Never had any problems with mine. Imported about 200 CDs to iTunes, downloaded a few albums from iTMS, connected iPod, done. All my music (both mp3 and ACC) is synched with my computer and iPod. It's really NOT that complicated. IMO the iPod is one of the best and most aesthetically pleasing mp3 players out there. I just don't understand how people can spend "2 days messing with the stupid thing." Just plug it in and it synchs the music on your computer to your iPod.

BkCloud114 said:
mhortsch said:
As far as hooking it up to multiple machines, no 3rd party software is needed. If you want to take music from the iPod and transfer it to a machine other then the original computer it came from, then you need 3rd party software  :)
[snapback]205797[/snapback]​
As long as you hook up a Mac formatted iPod to a Mac Computer and a Windows formatted iPod to a Windows computer.... correct ?
[snapback]205814[/snapback]​

This used to be the case. But pods are no longer formatted for specific machines, at least not out of the box.

I've actually taken my buddies 3Gen pod which is a pc-pod, hooked it up to my make and added music to it, which he later hooked up to his pc and added more music!!!