• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is A Zippo Going To Color My Cigar's Flavor?

McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan
I have been told that Zippo lighters foul a cigar right away. I have one that has a lot of sentimental value. My wife bought it for me and I love it. But I don't smoke cigarettes at all anymore and I don't want to screw up my valued cigars.

Input?

I've used a zippo plenty, never seemed to be a problem. Although I have been known to light a cigar off a stove, off a burning camp fire log, and almost anything else that burns. So I may not be the best source of opinion.LMFAO :p

I have read that if you let the Zippo burn for a few seconds before putting the heat to the cigar it works just fine without ill effects. I am with Beast however, if it has a flame or intence heat, it is fair game for lighting my smokes. :D

I too have some trusty Zipp[s that light some cigars. I have not had a "foul taste" problem. Like Beast and Puro, for me fire is fire.

Lighting a cigar with a Zippo in the wind does not work very well if you are shooting for a crisp even burn from the start. Most cigars I have lit in the wind did even themselves though.

I have a cheap torch that I use too, and matches, never used the stove but I have lit a cigar off the glowing red hot side of a wood burning Anagama ceramics kiln. Just about tanned my face and singed my eyebrows at the same time.

Some potters say this method of lighting a cigar is a time honored tradition.

Traditions are grand.

Use that Zippo when ya want.

JerryG

JerryG said:
Just about tanned my face and singed my eyebrows at the same time.
Man, I screwed up like this once before. I basically spewed massive amounts of Zippo brand lighter fluid all over our firebox/charcoal grill. I then used my normal technique and lit the stack with a long match. WHOOSH!!!!!! I was without any hair (stubs, maybe) on the right hand and my fingers were bronzed like a Greek statue.

What an idiot I can be! :sign:

Yeah, I've heard that a Zippo is not recommended for lighting cigars also - due to the type fuel that they use. If that is the lighter that I had in my pocket and I wanted to smoke a cigar...it wouldn't slow me down for one second though.

PS: Candles are supposed to be persona non grata also. They're supposed to add a waxy flavor to the cigar.

I've lit a cigar with a burning ember, electric burner on an oven, blow torch, car cigarette lighter, etc., etc. About the only thing that I haven't used is a magnifying glass, but there is still time yet. LOL!

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

STM ;)