• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is temp. relative?

marcsheldon

CP's official Architect
I'm building a new house that's almost finished that has a built in humidor in the study. The humi is basically the size of a coat closet (3' wide x 2' deep x 9' tall) with a french door as access. We are moving in next week so a few days ago I set up the humidifacation system to get the humi ready for my cigs. I've gotten the humidity to 65%, which I think is about right. However the temp. is about 77deg., which seems a little high to me. Should I set the rh to 68-69 to lower the temp? I'm guessing the rh is more important than the temp. so I'm wondering if the temp. is really that important compared to the rh. Any advice would be much appreciated.

65% is good. The reason to get the temp down is to prevent beetles. Changing the amount of humidity won't change the temp.

Is it too late to redirect an AC duct? You could put a duct over or close to the door. That way when the ac kicks on you get a healthy dose of circulation. You can also adjust the vents through out the house. For instance, the vents going to my bathrooms are open only 1/3 of the way. In the kitchen in dining room they are 1/2 open. They are all the way open in the bedrooms and the living room.
Try adjusting the louvers and then look at the hi/lo in the walk in a few days later. I bet you could lower the hi/low by a couple degrees going this route. Next look at your heat sources in the room. Make sure your window is sealed up tight. Also you need to have the blinds closed from the middle of the day onward. Solar film on the window is a great idea for the whole house as it reflects a good portion of energy. Other heat sources include incandescent lights, computers, monitors, stereo equipment. Make usre to turn all that stuff off when not in use. If you work a lot in the room, you can get small flourescent fixutres that look like regular lighting. With a little monitoring and some tweaking, and the solar film, I bet you could drop the hi/low by 5 degrees with out too much money or hassle. I would try any of these before adjusting the thermostat.
One more thing. Is the house completely empty? If so, the temperature should come down when you move stuff in. Once the house is full, there is less volume of air making it easier for the A/C unit to keep the house cool.

Emo

I rarely turn the AC on. How crucial is having a temp around 70°? Can a high temp damage or ruin cigars?

Joe said:
I rarely turn the AC on. How crucial is having a temp around 70°? Can a high temp damage or ruin cigars?
You don't want to run much over 70f for any length of time. Keeps the dreaded bugs away. I like to keep mine around 60f myself.

Joe said:
Well, depends on what you mean by ruin. It is accepted among certain groups of cigar aficionados that higher temps are not good for long term aging. It is believed that higher temps speed up the aging process in cigars. I don't know if that is %100 true, but there are many valid points that support this. So I guess in the sort run, it might be beneficial to someone who isn't going to age their cigars for a long while. Also, is accepted among many that higher tmeperatures coupled with high humidity make good conditions for beetles to hatch. Beetles will ruin cigars. So the first part is up in the air because of the definitin of ruined to one isn't the same as another person.

Emo

Mine usually stays between 73-75 F and the humidity between 66-68%. My sticks seem to smoke fine but, then again I'm still fairly new to cigars so, I may be to dumb to know the difference. ???