• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is this a Fake S.T. Dupont Lighter?

CigarBaron

Hey guys...in your professional opinion is this ligher a fake or real s.t. dupont??..it's tacky I know, i hated it at first but it is growing on me. Thanks in advance! -baron (PS don't bid against me if it is real--that just wouldn't be right)...Is there a any special way to identify authentic duponts?

d23f_12.JPG

a6_12.JPG

05_12.JPG

I just found this guide about fake duponts (i'm now about 99% sure this one is fake):

Lately, there's been a FLOOD of counterfeit Dupont lighters on eBay. Most, but certainly not all, seem to be from Shanghai, China. Some are also from Hong Kong... Occasionally, the UK. There are also some US counterfeiters, but they seem to be a little more crafty...They don't list as many lighters at a time and tend to write lengthy descriptions of each lighter (sometimes very well written... With these, the main tip-off is the super-low price and short-term listings...no longer than 3 day listings. If you want to see prices of genuine Duponts, search on the internet...There are at least two AUTHORIZED Dupont dealers on the net. Lately, a lot of the Chinese sellers are listing their location as London rather than China. However, if you check to the right under "meet the seller", their profile often will say member since (insert date) in China. Here are some of the "warning signs" to be wary of:

1) Numerous listings at one time (what individual has THAT many lighters?) Very often these lighters are copies of limited editions that would cost many hundreds (if not over a grand!) if they were authentic. A common example is the red and black enamel Art Deco design (I recently saw a genuine one sell on eBay for over $1200.00!)and the "James Bond 007" (the design with a bullet). The "007" is in "real life" also a very expensive limited edition (in the $900.00 range). Another commonly found copy is the black lacquer design with a dragon studded with small diamonds.

2) User names often seem to consist of a combination of random letters and numbers.

3) Feedback score seems to usually be 10 or 11. Rarely, if ever, much more than that. Always read the feedback!

4) Feedback comments seem to be nonsensical fragments of sentences, or if the comments make sense, they use almost the same comments for all 10 or 11 "satisfied customers". These "customers" user names also frequently consist of that same random combination of letters and numbers (They often come from "sellers" rather than "buyers"). Again, always read the feedback! Personally, I'm always a little suspicious of people who keep their feedback comments "private"... makes me wonder if there's something to hide. In my personal experience, I've found that they frequently do have something to hide. Now that's just been my personal experience.

5) These fake Dupont lighters offered are consistently offered as brand new (That I do not question :) ).

6) For some reason, with the Shanghai fakes, the word "Shanghai" is almost always spelled with a lower case "s".

7) The sellers have usually been eBay members for only a few months at best.

8) These are almost always one day auctions.

9) Prices are usually in British Pounds or Australian or Canadian dollars (rarely US dollars).

10) Frequently there is a disclaimer saying the seller is in no way affiliated with S.T. Dupont, etc...if you read it all the way through, there's frequently a sentence saying something about the lighter being altered (Now why would a brand new authentic Dupont be altered?)... Another thing to consider vis a vis these disclaimers is that they frequently say something about ST Dupont not servicing/repairing these lighters. It was recently brought to my attention that both Dunhill and Dupont are confiscating counterfeit lighters that are sent in for repair which evidently completely legal for them to do. These disclaimers also invariably say something about ST Dupont not authorizing any internet sales of their lighters. This is absolutely not true! There are several internet-based authorized ST Dupont dealers. I don't believe I can list the names here, but if you search on the internet, you can find them.

11) Flashy, "bling-bling" designs. Check the ST Dupont website for examples of what their designs really look like, or look at the listings of individuals who are offering used or vintage Duponts. You will see that authentic Duponts tend to be fairly conservative in design... certainly nothing with CZ's or rhinestones!

12) Usually the descriptions are very generic. These counterfeiters rarely take the time to write a detailed description for each of their offerings. I suppose it's so they can use the same template for all of their listings and just insert different pictures. With the volume of listings they put on at a time I reckon it could get rather time consuming to write much about any one listing.

13) AN ABSOLUTE TIPOFF: The use of the words "Lacque de Chine" on a non-enameled lighter. "Lacque de Chine translates from French into "Chinese lacquer". If you see this, it's a complete and total fraud!!!Just the other day, I saw someone pay $450.00 from a US seller that was marked "Lacque de Chine". This would have been fine except that the lighter had absolutely no lacquer on it! Lacque de Chine refers to lacquer. If a lighter is decribed as "Lacque de Chine", but has no discernable lacquer finish on it, it is undoubtably counterfeit!

Now this is not to say it's impossible for there to be a legit Dupont from China (or more lately, the UK) or Hong Kong, but if the seller fits the above description, I'd definitely pass. Although these people often have a "money back guarantee", with the way they change user names so frequently (which they do), what are the odds they'll even be there if you wish to return the lighter? For that matter there are enough genuine Duponts on eBay that you can get a real one for about the same price as these cheaply made copies, many times for less! Keep in mind it's very hard to prosecute overseas fraudulent sellers. Again, this is not to say there could not possibly be a legitimate seller from China, The UK or Hong Kong, but if they have the above-mentioned characteristics, stay away by all means.

Just received from another eBay member:...This refers to recognizing a fake "in person":The easiest things to look for when you get the item concerns the paperwork. #1 The instruction manual interior paper should be white counterfiet used an orange tint. #2 The warr. card is white and covered with a plastic coating the fake is an orange tint as well. #3 the paper work will come in a little packet the fakes are just put underneath the lighters placement holder.

I'd say you talked yourself right out of it. I pays to do your homework.

i would suggest buying it from cigarmony.com ir an authorized retailer.. 200 for a fake is not better then the price mark will give you for a gauranteed real one.

I'd be wary of any of the ones sold on ebay. I don't know that those red boxes are even current, as the ST Dupont I got from Mark came in a different looking black one.

i would suggest buying it from cigarmony.com ir an authorized retailer.. 200 for a fake is not better then the price mark will give you for a gauranteed real one.

Word..if i buy one i'll probably get it from an AD...i sent the seller of this one an email with that article...i bet he'll love that...thanks for the input anyway.

Hey guys...in your professional opinion is this ligher a fake or real s.t. dupont??..it's tacky I know, i hated it at first but it is growing on me. Thanks in advance! -baron (PS don't bid against me if it is real--that just wouldn't be right)...Is there a any special way to identify authentic duponts?

d23f_12.JPG

a6_12.JPG

05_12.JPG

99.9% Fake :sign:

Where do you put the cigars?

Might as well just get one of these... they are just as "real" :)

fake_st_dupont.jpg

13) AN ABSOLUTE TIPOFF: The use of the words "Lacque de Chine" on a non-enameled lighter. "Lacque de Chine translates from French into "Chinese lacquer". If you see this, it's a complete and total fraud!!!Just the other day, I saw someone pay $450.00 from a US seller that was marked "Lacque de Chine". This would have been fine except that the lighter had absolutely no lacquer on it! Lacque de Chine refers to lacquer. If a lighter is decribed as "Lacque de Chine", but has no discernable lacquer finish on it, it is undoubtably counterfeit!