• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is this a real ISOM?

Vikder

A friend of mine stumbled on 4 ISOMs. I wanted to try and check their authenticity before i buy one from him. I've read a few of the counterfeit guides (CA and Steve Saka) but i'm still curious if this thing is even real. On the front of the band it says El Ray Del Mundo, then under that it says Habana. On the flaps of the band, one says Habana and the other says Cuba. Nowhere does it say hand made in spanish or english. I thought all cubans said it? It's a natural color wrapper. There are two medium looking veins, i've read that most cubans don't have any veins due to their corojo wrapper? It does have the triple cap, not sure if and non-cubans do as well? It is 5.0"x50 so i guess that makes it a robusto. Is there anything else that you guys can think of that i can check?

Thanks,
Vic

Based on what you've said, it sounds legit. Here's what a real ERdM band looks like. If it's a Choix Supreme it should be exactly 5 x 48 (Hermoso No. 4). Hard to say tho, without laying hands on it.

ERDM are not frequently counterfeited, though it is always a possibilty. the band sounds right. The boxes will say Hand Made, not the bands. The only real way to know if it's real or not is to smoke it. But, if you haven't any experience with Havana cigars it's going to be tough to discern. There are very distinct taste differences between Cuabn, Honduran, Nicaraugan, Dominican, etc., etc. tobacco. Not until you have tried them all with some frequenciy, will you be able to spot the difference.

Vikder,
if you dont get those and try them, you will be trying some next week when you visit my place.

Mike

What's this place coming to?! Vik's post has been up 2 hours and so far nobody's said "Send 'em to me, I'll verify their authenticity". :lookup: Where's the helpful spirit this community is known for? :p

LMAO @ FatherT :D :D :p Way to offer your services to a brother truely in need ;)

FatherT: The band on the cigar does look just like the picture. The only other thing that worries me is the band isn't overlapped 100% straight at the glue point. It's off by about an 1/8". I'm not sure if that is to large of a deviation for Cubans.
Matt R: I was reading that too, that ERdM aren't frequently counterfeited. What makes this tough is that by friend never had the box, so we can't verify what the box even looked like.
Mike: i'm looking more and more forward to next week :D

I think i may buy one of these off of him. He didn't give me a price yet, he just asked me to try and verify their authenticity so even he could feel better about his purchase. Hopfully he didn't pay more than ~$20 each.

Thanks again,
Vic

$20 each!!!! That would be 3 times what they're worth. Again...if he gives you one...cool...but don't pay that kind of money. :0

Really? ISOMs are less than $20 each? i figured a box of real cubans (in cuba) would be about $130 (in USA money). With the price of contraband being what it is, i figured 3x that amount as fair after they are in the USA. Are ISOMs really that cheap in the USA? If they are that cheap, now i'm VERY interested in stocking some cubans for myself:D

Vic

Well if you consider it fair, then buy them. ??? I've never seen isom's available in the USA...so I'm not familiar with stocking up on them. :) Just wanted to let you know about the price. :D

By the way..."with the price of contraband being what it is" what is the price of contraband? ??? Wasn't aware of a dollar figure.

That stick can be had in singles for $6.80 and $140-150 for a box (plus shipping, of course).

What i meant by contraband is anything that you cannot have is usually double or triple in price. I didn't know that ISOMs could be had for such a low price.

Vic

Vikder 22 Oct 2002
The band on the cigar does look just like the picture. The only other thing that worries me is the band isn't overlapped 100% straight at the glue point.

The bands may have been shipped seperate from the cigars and put on.

20 Bucks?
Damn, Damn.....

Dont do It Man wait a bit Cubans taste better when they are gifts!
Dont they guys?

Hb

J Lew: if the bands where shipped separate and then put on wouldn't that make them counterfeit?

hbooker: I'm going to print this discussion out and let my friend read it. Maybe i'll be able to get the actual price out of him :D i'll hold off on buying this one from him. I have a suspicion that he did pay too much. Not that he's trying to rip me off, but i think he was probably ripped off. :(

Vic