• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Island of Geese 10 year old

SewerRanger

I haven't really been able to find out too much about this scotch. It seems to exist in a void, escaping only to appear in the liquor store by my house and a liquor store in NC (thank you Google). From the little bit of information I've been able to discover it's marketed by a company called London and Scottish and it's an all islay malt blend. At around $35/bottle I'd call it a steal. The initial aroma of the scotch is a heavy peat smell. It reminded me of a damp forest in the morning; that sort of musty, earthy smell that you only get waking up after camping or perhaps when you overturn a damp log. I for one welcome the smell but there are some people who are turned off b it. The scotch itself has a pretty, clear straw color. The initial burst of flavor was the same as the smell. There was lots of moss, and dew, as well as earthy overtones, and a little bit of harsh alcohol (I’m guess this is because it’s only aged 10 years). These flavors, especially the harsh alcohol, give way to became more of a dirt and charcoal flavor; nothing too strong mind you, but definitely evident. The finishing flavors had an almost briny quality to them. There was sea salt and bit of a seaweed flavor. However, the peat and moss flavors maintained their dominance. Overall, this was a steal at only $35 dollars and definitely something I’d buy again. It's an acquired taste and a couple of people (my Grandfather and my mother) really didn't care for it, but if you're looking for something different, I say give it a shot.

Now, to turn this into a twofer, I will admit, I've not tried too many scotches (probably a grand total of around 5), but I'm looking to expand my collection. Can anyone suggest some other Islay Scotches for me to try? I really enjoyed the smoky peat flavors that this one possessed.

Island of Geese is thought to be 10 yo Caol Ila. Obviously bulk purchased and bottled by some private firm under that label. So....if you like that then try the regular Caol Ila 12, Talisker 10 or for real in your face the Ardbeg 10. There are others at much higher price points too.

Island of Geese is thought to be 10 yo Caol Ila. Obviously bulk purchased and bottled by some private firm under that label. So....if you like that then try the regular Caol Ila 12, Talisker 10 or for real in your face the Ardbeg 10. There are others at much higher price points too.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. What others at higher price points would you suggest? I'm willing to spend up to around $100/bottle.

Oh, London and Scottish International is definitly the firm that owns the brand. They've got a Royal Warrant that states they own the label (apparently the Prince of Wales or someone on his staff, likes something they market).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. What others at higher price points would you suggest? I'm willing to spend up to around $100/bottle.

Oh, London and Scottish International is definitly the firm that owns the brand. They've got a Royal Warrant that states they own the label (apparently the Prince of Wales or someone on his staff, likes something they market).

If you really like the Islays and the Peat Monsters. I would suggest a Laphroaig either Quarter Cask or 10yo Cask Strength or for something a little more balanced try Lagavulin 16 or a Ardbeg special release. FWIW Laphroaig CS is incredible.

Which ever way you go be sure to post your thougths.