• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ISOM cigars. Just hype?

Like what you smoke, smoke what you like. When you get a good CC it's ON! Amazing, can't be beat. Usually requires some age. There are supposed to be some good CCs right out of the box from 2011-12. Research, and you will also find some say certain Marca's are GREAT in the tubos variety. Me, I've never had a bad tubo CC.

Happy smokes!!!

C

I would have to agree.. cuban tobacco is my favorite for sure. It just amazes me time and time again, although in every instance, what solid age can do to a CC.. Just recently I tried a Dip#3, that I had a box from the year they were d/c.... these things just hit me as "meh" for so long, that I would gift them hoping they would meet someone elses profile tastes, that I am down to a handful... they have developed into a totally fantastic smoke.. a real fingertip burner. So I am learning time and time again, that patience is truly a virtue.... especially when dealing with cuban tobacco, lol!

Steve

I honestly think Cuban Tobacco, in and of itslef, is pretty amazing. Too bad the curing and cigar making process has serious shortcomings.
For my personal tastes, Cuban tobacco is my favorite, with Nicaraguan being a close second. Fuente's are in my 3rd place.
As I've often said, I'd love to see what Padron or Fuente could do with Cuban Tobacco.

I think CCs are the best and most complex satisfying cigars in the world.

I second the Fuentes and I consider them true masters for what they produce.
If they were rolling CCs they would be beyond description.

Nicaraguans are great also and I smoke quite a few of them but quite a few are monotonous and very spicy which is good.

I like to age everything but only CCs can keep on getting better with too much age and quite a few can be great fresh or aged.

I find most cigars best between six months and a couple of years and few much longer as described by most here.

Always ahead when they are really good fresh.

I thought PSD4 to just be good smokes... I smoked one out of the humi after a couple years aging, & they are Fantastic!!

Wasn't there talk about Cuban companies importing Nic tobacco? So Cuban smokes are a little suspect IMO.

Wasn't there talk about Cuban companies importing Nic tobacco? So Cuban smokes are a little suspect IMO.

Dave, I don't care where the tobacco comes from, as long as I enjoy smoking it. Personally, I love the Partagas line.
Ian

Dave, I don't care where the tobacco comes from, as long as I enjoy smoking it.

^This

As long as you're not paying extra for where they're from, I don't know why it matters. If I enjoy a cigar, and it's at a reasonable price, I don't care if the tobacco is grown in Alaska.

Dave, I don't care where the tobacco comes from, as long as I enjoy smoking it.

^This

As long as you're not paying extra for where they're from, I don't know why it matters. If I enjoy a cigar, and it's at a reasonable price, I don't care if the tobacco is grown in Alaska.

I agree to the fullest with Tom and Ian!

But it has to be a real Cuban, what does that mean? It's like buying a bottle of Chateauneuf-du-Pape and finding out the grapes are actually from Mexico, but it has the same blend, but that's okay? To each his own.

And for the record I was only mentioning what was posted on a different post on this board.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/73064-cuban-crops-wiped-out-fakes-rampant/#entry1112941

I'd be pissed if I was buying Cuban Cigars and the tobacco was grown in Alaska, smoke what you like.

If I'm buying a
But it has to be a real Cuban, what does that mean? It's like buying a bottle of Chateauneuf-du-Pape and finding out the grapes are actually from Mexico, but it has the same blend, but that's okay? To each his own.

And for the record I was only mentioning what was posted on a different post on this board.

http://www.cigarpass...t/#entry1112941

I'd be pissed if I was buying Cuban Cigars and the tobacco was grown in Alaska, smoke what you like.

If I buy a $5 PC with that is a legitimate Bolivar, I don't care if Bolivar got that tobacco from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Alaska, Mars, North Pole, where ever. If the cigar is the same quality that I have had with them all along (granted, my experience is limited), it doesn't matter to me.

Does the fact that those grapes are from France make it better than if they were from Mexico?

I'm not saying its good or bad- it's a question of false advertisement. Remember the Kona coffee scandal a few years back.

They couldn't keep up with supply so they bought a bunch of Colombian and put their label on it.

I was referring to a post that was posted by Issy about Cuba buying tobacco from Nic. to supplement their supply.

The trick is to just not smoke Cubans younger than 08, solves your problem. Imo Cuban tobacco is not better, but there are more quality complex Cuban cigars than otherwise. I would likewise say there is more complex French and Spanish cuisine than Russian, but that doesn't mean there isn't good Russian food. Like Tom said, smoke what you like... who cares where it comes from? I don't like "dominican cigars" or "Cuban cigars" but I think there are some great Fuentes and the boli/qdo lines can'r be matched elsewhere

I'm not saying its good or bad- it's a question of false advertisement. Remember the Kona coffee scandal a few years back.

False advertisement is only a concern if your purchasing something because of its brand. If you're smoking a cigar for the sake of smoke that specific cigar, rather than because of it's Country of origin, it shouldn't matter where the components come from, as long as they are put together to form the specific cigar that you were looking to smoke in the first place. I'll be the first to admit that I sought out Cubans just because they were Cuban but once reality sets in, there are some very good alternative to the typical Nic offerings that are so popular up here.

If they told me that my Boli PC were going to be made in Korea from now on, I'd keep buying them as long as they stay the same cigar. Like Tom said, the trick is to make sure that you aren't paying a premium for the cigar because its from Cuba, and the ones I typically smoke (Boli PC, RyJ Short Churchill, Mag 46, etc) cost me less than the Nics I smoke regularly. And they're easier to get than some of the Nics, but that's another thread entirely.

I agree with most of the posters here. There is something about a great Cuban cigar that you just don't get anywhere else. Then there is the aging issue, most Cubans I have smoked needed to be aged for a few years for them to come into their own. With NC I feel like you get a much wider flavor profile due to the many different blends they are able to create. I haven't had many CCs that were mind blowing right out of the box and with out a few years of age. Personally, I can't age cigars...I just don't have the patience, so I will buy mine with some age on them. For example a Padron 1926 fresh out of the factory is one of the best cigars you can find(they do age their cigars before selling them but you get the point) but I have had fresh Monte 2's with no age that weren't very good, then have had the same cigar with 4 years of age and it was up there with the best smokes I've had. So yes I beleive there is a tremendous amount of hype with the Cuban cigar market and everyone has their own flavor preference but a good well aged CC is definitely an experience worth trying

I don't want to say cc are better than nc, but even i ,in blind tests, pick the Havanna's from the nc. 
Don't get me wrong, I really like the odd Padron,Illusions,Fuente. Etc.

René 

There's a few of 'em I like, but I don't really have the patience for aging them.  I've smoked a couple with 5+ years on them that were gifted to me, most memorably an RyJ churchill that produced billowing clouds of silky smooth, fragrant smoke and never got even a little hot on me, but . . . yeah, nothing's going to stay in my humidor long enough to produce that kind of result.  Besides, Cubans really aren't strong enough for my tastes.  ANY of them.  

~Boar

When well seasoned cigar smokers who have long gotten over the "forbidden fruit" allure of a Cuban cigar prefer them over non-Cuban, I guess it isn't just hype.

Maybe some hype, especially for those first starting out. For me they are usually just a different flavor of good. IMO, it's hard to beat an SCDLH Principe with a morning cup of coffee. That said, I find it even harder to beat an Anjeo with a good beer on the deck as the sun goes down.

This question is kind of like asking how good your palate is.