• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ISOM Review: El Rey del Mundo

oak

Let it burn...
After a long weekend of several new sticks - here is the first of a few reviews for y'all:

El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme (Jun, 00)

Sat down to smoke this one after a light dinner at my neighborhood bar - though I switched to water before starting to smoke it. This stick is almost the same as a robusto shape, but a bit smaller in diameter (48 instead of the more typical 50) and a bit longer (just a few millimeters).

Well made stick and good looking - and had a fairly easy pre-light draw after being cut by scissors.

Here's where I run out of things to say. It burned well, gave off plenty of smoke - but just didn't taste like much at all to me. It had hints of different flavors, but they were all relatively mild and tough for me to put my finger on - the only flavor that came out was something I would describe as "vegetable-like" or slightly "grassy". Don't get me wrong - even the grassy flavor was pretty subdued, but overall I'd say this cigar had very little taste at all.

One interesting thing - the taste on this stick never changed and never got acidic or harsh - and I smoked it down to its last 1 inch (just out of curiousity - hoping it would develop some body).

Probably better suited to being smoked in the morning with coffee or something (which I don't do - I almost never touch a cigar except after dinner). I see no reason to try this one again with such wonderful robusto-sized sticks out there that I already know I like (Cohiba, RASS, Partagas, etc).

Anyone have other experiences with El Rey's? I've got a few other sizes in my humidor - but overall - this wasn't a great start. I'm disappointed - but probably should count myself lucky - this was my first ISOM experience that wasn't top notch.

I'll try my other El Rey's before I give a final judgement, but after this first experience - I'm ready to demote this manufacturer into the minor leagues below other ISOM brands that I've had better luck with.

Cheers,

- Oak

I really enjoy the ERDM Choix Supreme. A nice citrus flavor throughout the entire cigar. A great burn and draw also. Goes well with espresso in the morning. Sounds like you got a dud. I've been smoking 1998s and 2002s with no problems. :thumbs:

The few I have had were light bodied for a Cuban. They go well with a traditional Heffewizen. Just my 2 cents.

Emo

The lonsdales were a particular fav of mine for the Sunday paper and a pot o' coffee on the front porch Sunday mornin's :)

I love these smokes. I don't know if I got a good batch but I get Plenty of flavor from them. I wouldnt say they are strong but there is deffinetly something there. Sounds to me like you got a bad stick. or had something WAY to spicy to eat prior to smoking it.

Phil