• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Its begun

Gawl

With my current humi full to capacity and having to store it in another room due to temperature issues I decided to look into getting a vinotemp. Originally was going to get a 16 bottle but that just felt too small, add on the fact Target had 1, 28 bottle left on sale for only $139.99, I was sold. So now to work on getting more beads and some shelves from mtmouse.

I'm a hazard when it comes to electrical work so I'm praying I can do this without having to install another thermostat, and praying I have no condensation issues.

I'll post some pics when I get it finished.

All I have are my shelves, drawers and 1 pound of Heartfelt beads. Set the temp. to 66 degrees and I haven't had to do a thing in months.

Good choice. I took the same deal with the shelves from MTmouse. There's no need to add anything other than beads. Check out the thread from Rectifythis he has a nice setup. As far as condensation goes, I haven't had any.

Thanks for the responses. I just cleaned it out with some baking soda and warm water, left a plate of baking soda in their to help get rid of the smell. Also just sent a pm to mtmouse to get some shelves, so hopefully I should have those soon. Also have more beads on the way so I should be set. Once I get it all finished I'll update the thread with some pics.

Back to reading more on everyone else's projects, so much information here, I love this site.

Good luck with the project Gawl. Can't wait to see pictures of the final product.

Sorry to hear about you reaching capacity. Least you got a nice new Humidor though. Can't wait to see the pics of your project.

I am always excited when I line up a new Humidor.

I can't wait to fill it with treasure.

Best of luck and Enjoy!

Thanks again for the well wishes. Currently working on the smell. I was going to fill it with water but with all the electrical stuff and not knowing how to remove it I figured it best to try another way. So far 2 days of baking soda didn't work, however leaving it outside for a day has helped quite a bit. Going to leave it out a few more days then possibly run it with the door open as the fan seems to be producing a lot of the smell. Beads should be here in a day or 2 and Mtmouse is currently out of cedar so I need to wait on shelves. Going to get some cedar boxes though to hold my singles and it should be done minus the shelves this weekend. Pics to come soon.

Tim does really nice work. I'm sure you'll love the shelves, they look great in the vinotemp.

Thanks again for the well wishes. Currently working on the smell. I was going to fill it with water but with all the electrical stuff and not knowing how to remove it I figured it best to try another way. So far 2 days of baking soda didn't work, however leaving it outside for a day has helped quite a bit. Going to leave it out a few more days then possibly run it with the door open as the fan seems to be producing a lot of the smell. Beads should be here in a day or 2 and Mtmouse is currently out of cedar so I need to wait on shelves. Going to get some cedar boxes though to hold my singles and it should be done minus the shelves this weekend. Pics to come soon.

Just be patient, as hard as it is. Mine took a while to clear out also. I too went the same route and put in empty boxes.

Your going to be so pleased when it's all said and done. Waiting is really never fun.

Got my beads this week and finally got the smell out. Went to my local shop and got 3 cedar cigar boxes and placed them inside along with a pound and a half of 65% rh beads. Placed 2 hydrometers inside, 1 up top and 1 on the bottom, top started at 61% and bottom read 65%. The temp was high though at 71 even though the vinotemp said 66. I dropped the temp and got it down to 66 degree's but noticed condensation build up. I placed a small sponge to soak up the excess condensation and now my rh won't get above 55 at the top and 61 at the bottom.

Is it possible the dry sponge is sucking up some of my humidity? The piece in there is only about an inch long by half an inch wide.

Look at the thread from rectifythis and how he solved his condesation problem. My vinotemp took a couple days to stabelize.

Yeah I feel I might be jumping the gun. I will take a look at his thread, but I think it may be that the cedar in the boxes I'm using is not seasoned yet. I placed 4 shot glasses of distilled water in and around the boxes to help the seasoning process and I'm going to give it a few days. Currently I'm at 63% on the bottom and 56% on top. Also I'm using 2 oust fans as well to help with circulation.

Quick update, with the 4 shot glasses I got the bottom to 66% top is still at 56%. I read rectifythis's thread and I'm not skilled enough to wire up fans so I think I'm going to have to put some beads up top to help out. I was able to install a catch to route the condensation to the beads. The 2 oust fans I put in are absolute junk. Now I just need to get my cedar shelves and I think the I should be set.

The cedar shelves should help with stabilize too, since it will absorb some of the RH, so as you line them throughout that should help. I'm sure placing beads on top, bottom, and middle should really help. Of course I'm not sure I'm only guessing.

Still waiting for Mtmouse to get cedar in for shelves. I got some cigars today and I really needed to put them somewhere. I placed my humidor inside the vinotemp and rh has now dropped to 61% on the bottom, 58% in the middle and 55% up top. I have a box coming tomorrow that needs to go in as well so I think it’s going to drop even more. I seriously hope these shelves help as I feel I'm getting dangerously low on the rh scale. I have some beads I can spread out that are still in tubes, but those are in the humidor and since the noob sampler I got today has some great smokes with age on them I don't want to risk damaging them with low rh.

Just put everything in and if you have empty boxes put extra singles in there. The RH will jump back up, it may take a day or two.

Update: Got the word from Tim that he's building my shelves and tray so those should be coming soon. I decided to install a fan to help with air movement, I opted for 1 as that’s what I had laying around, was going to use 2 but the one puts out a lot of air flow. I wired a pc case fan to an old Linksys router power cord. After talking with the guys at radio shack I think it should work fine. My main worry was that the fan is 12v and uses 100ma, but the power supply is 12v and puts out 1000ma. Being as the fan won't pull more than it needs I don't think I need to worry about it burning out or starting some sort of fire. To be safe though I pulled all my cigars out and put them with the beads in a cooler overnight. I want to let the fan run a few cycles to insure there are no problems, plus the silicone should sit for 24 hours before its ok with humidity. If someone here is good with electricity and sees a flaw in this please let me know!

Once I get the shelves and get everything in I will get pictures posted.