• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

It's official,I have a hernia

jkoj

:angry: Felt something pull at work and it turns out I have a hernia.Getting laproscopic repair on the 31st.Looks like I'll be out of work for 2-3 weeks.I guess I can catch up on my reading and cigar smoking.Any of you ever have this problem?

I had one repaired back in '80 when I was working as a commercial fisherman. No fun at all. No such thing as a laparoscope.

My wife is an OR nurse. She says if the surgeon is experienced its about a 20 minute procedure with a local anesthetic and a little happy juice in the vein or perhaps some NO. You will be up and about just fine in a day or two.

Of course, that's not to mean you shouldn't take advantage and lay low for a couple weeks! :whistling:

Best of luck.

If it's an abdominal hernia then yes I've had several. Mine unfortunately were not repaired by lap but by open (a cut from breastbone to belly button). I have heard repeatedly that a lap hernia repair is safer, quicker to recover from and less painful. I wish you the best of luck and we will be praying for a speedy and safe recovery (with lots of smokes on the menu ;) ). Personally, whether the doc says it's okay to lift 20 lbs within a few weeks - I wouldn't. My last hernia popped out 6 weeks after last surgery and I wasn't even picking something heavy up at the time. And if they give you an abdominal truss - wear it.

I wonder if I have some sort of hernia now. Back before thanksgiving I had a terrible leg/groin pain that was like a really tight muscle. It bothered me for a few days and then tapered off. I keep letting it rest for a couple of weeks and I try to ride my stationary bike after it gets to feeling better. But it seems like no matter how long I let it rest, it gets worse after I exercise it any. I keep putting off going to the Dr. because I'm a big sissy. I guess I should have it looked at though. Anyway I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you get to enjoy some fine smokes while you are off of your feet.

Switters you should get it checked out it sounds like it could be a hernia(now that I'm an expert :D )
Bargogirl(love that name) it is an abdominal.It's actually not too painful at all as long as I don't exert myself.I'm actually working light duty at work up until my surgery(my choice)No lifting over 20 lbs.I will be covered under workmans comp, so that's good news.Thanks all.

Switters you should get it checked out it sounds like it could be a hernia(now that I'm an expert :D )
Bargogirl(love that name) it is an abdominal.It's actually not too painful at all as long as I don't exert myself.I'm actually working light duty at work up until my surgery(my choice)No lifting over 20 lbs.I will be covered under workmans comp, so that's good news.Thanks all.

Great. :angry: I will make an appointment tomorrow.

That is WEIRD cause I JUST finished writing a case report on a very specialized clinic in Canada that is solely hernia related and has a special way of doing it that lowers recurrence rates and speeds up recovery times. Granted, I don't know what year the case was from... but it's called the Shouldice Hospital right outside of Toronto. Just thought it was kinda funny coincedence wise that I just finish this for Operations Management class and come onto the forum and find this.
Chris

Never had one but sounds pretty crappy. Well hopefully your stocked with nice sticks and you atleast get something positive out of this experience(smoking good cigars!!). Get better soon!

fhs

Great. :angry: I will make an appointment tomorrow.

Let us know how you make out

Switters, I'm bettin' that it's not a hernia. A hernia simply means that you have a tear a muscle layer that something is pushing through, like part of the intestine pushing through the abdomin, groin/leg pain is most likely a torn/strained groin muscle that is still tender that needs to heal or has healed and is just weak.

But still, get it checked out.

Nick

Mojo your way! I had a hernia repair when I was 25. It hurt but I was given some pain killers to help me through it. They went great with Bud. LOL!

Well that sucked :( Belly hurts like hell.As long as I don't move at all it's not too bad.I can barely walk and trying to sit up from a laying position is like being hit in the stomach with a baseball bat.They gave me 20 perks hopefully the pain stops before I run out.I have never really takin perks before but thank god for them now.I'll have to wait till tomorrow to indulge in a special smokes.Thanks again to all you "well wishers"
John

I hope you get well soon. I have my appointment with the Dr. this morning.

Hi, and GL. I had hernia surgry several years ago. I was laid up for several weeks but time heals all. You well do well my friend.

John - just saw this post. Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

Plenty of time for you to receover in time for NERF2008.

See you then.

I just got back from the Dr. an he said I don't have a hernia. Its a torn groin muscle. So I have six weeks of physical therapy and I should be as good as new.

I had one in the groin a few years ago. Doctor said it was in the top three of the worst he had seen in his 20 years as a surgeon. I was under the knife for four hours while they fixed me up and repaired the damaged that had been done to the family jewels. Was supposed to take 90 minutes.

Took me 4 weeks at home and another 2 months light duty to heal up. I pray that none of you ever have to experience what it is like when your left nut has to be stitched to your sack to hold it in place. :0