• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jerk Sauce

robbiex0r

scum
IMO, Jerk sauce is far removed from BBQ sauce, and so deserves its own discussion.

While in Jamaica I never did figure out exactly what the roadside and beachfront stands used. I have never come across Jerk chicken made in the same fashion. That is, cooking the whole thing and hacking it into random juicy pieces. I believe they use a mix of rubs and sauces, but I could be wrong.

I've tried jerk chicken in a few restaurants and they have inevitably resulted in disappointment. I'm wary of buying any jerk sauce in specialty stores or online. There are countless varieties all claiming to be the real deal.

So... what have you tried? What have you liked? Have you ever made the whole chicken and chopped it into chunks? Do you have a favorite Jerk recipe?

I am open to suggestions of pre-bottled mixes, or recipes for concocting your own rub/sauce.

irie mon!

Lived there for almost 2 yrs and there isn't anything you can buy here in the states. Most places down there have their own "special" mix of seasoning. The best I ever had was in a little town called Highgate and I new the guy pretty well. He would marinate his chicken in 5gal buckets and I've never come close to the flavor and he gave me all the ingredients he used!

The only thing close would be to buy a bottle from the jerk stand in Boston Bay (Jamaica). They just repackage it in any type bottles they can get. It's not the same as they use, much hotter for the "tourists."

I miss the jerk as there isn't much like it in the states.

I will never, ever, ever forget the most horrible jerk sauce chicken I tried to eat at buffalo wild wings. Nastiest food I have ever put in my mouth. Nothing against the real thing, but thier attempt was ? ? ? ? bad.

I think one of the key ingredients that people tend to over look when trying to create "jerk" anything here is the use of Pimento wood (from the all spice tree).

Soak the Pimento chips in water for about 4 hours and then make a little tin foil aluminum smoker box (just put the chips in foil and poke a ton of holes in the foil and place on the flame).

Another trick without the pimento wood, soak 1/8 cup of whole allspice berries in water for about 30 minutes, then sprinkle them over the coals of the grill and cover to allow the smoke to permeate the meat, fish or seafood."

It's key :thumbs:

I hope this helps

~Mark

I would be quite interested if anyone had a good recipe. I found a few rubs, etc that aren't half bad. I've never found a sweet dipping sauce that really does it for me, but I suppose that may not be all that authentic anyway.

I've tried several jerk rubs with varying degrees of success but have never even come close to the sauce. The last time I was down in Jamaica I bought several packages of jerk sauce as gag gifts for female co workers. Instead of saying "Chicken Flavor" it said "Cock Flavor" and had a picture of a chicken on it. Beautiful thing that translation.

I will never, ever, ever forget the most horrible jerk sauce chicken I tried to eat at buffalo wild wings. Nastiest food I have ever put in my mouth. Nothing against the real thing, but thier attempt was ? ? ? ? bad.

I had this earlier this week. Not only was it the worst tasting chicken I've ever had, it also made me sick. I only wish I had seen this post before having to experience it for myself!

Just get this...
JERK.jpg

Or try the product from here. It's the best you'll get in the states.

Walkerswood

I have a really good recipe for Jerk Chicken. It is some TASTY and SPICY stuff!!! Has all kinds of spices and ingredients.

mark is right about the pimento wood.

I'll have to think about this one, its one of my recipes I normally don't give out.

Here is the recipe I use for Jerk, I am not saying it is as good as the real thing. There is something about the atmosphere of being abnormally hot, chugging a red stripe and buying chicken from a roadside stand.

1 tsp. allspice (grind your own, don't use the pre-ground)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (again, get a whole nutmeg berry and use a box grater)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (do I even have to say it again?)
1/2 c. scallions (chopped extremely fine)
4-6 scotch bonnet peppers (don't use any other, except maybe chocolate habanero)
1/2 c. distilled vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce (kikkoman only)
2 tbsp. vegetable oil or other non flavored oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1 clove garlic (chopped extremely fine)

Put the whole mess in a food processor or blender. Puree. Store in a glass jar, this stuff eats through plastic. Marinate the chicken for at least 4-5 hours.

To make a jerk finishing sauce, simmer the mix over med-low heat until it reduces by about a third. Add a splash of vinegar to adjust for taste. Serve at room temp.

Hope you like it.

Fish-man

Edited to add:
DO NOT USE THE MARINADE TO MAKE THE FINISHING SAUCE. Make a second batch.

A long while back, Hillbilly sent me this recipe and I made it. It was absolutely kick ass! He sent me a note encouraging to share with all, although I believe there are still a few secrets in this north cakalakian!

Make a double batch of this sauce, and if you like it hot, add more then one Habenero to the mix!

• 1 tablespoon Ground allspice
• 1 tablespoon Dried thyme
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground sage
• 3/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
• 3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons Garlic powder or fresh
• 1 tablespoon Sugar
• 1/4 cup Olive oil
• 1/4 cup Soy sauce
• 3/4 cup White Vinegar
• 1/2 cup Orange juice
• 1 Lime juice
• 1 Scotch bonnet pepper (habanero)
• 3 Green onions -- finely chopped
• 1 cup Onion -- finely chopped
• 4 to 6 chicken breasts
"JERK: This method of cooking pork and chicken dates back to the Carib-Arawak Indians who inhabited Jamaica. After capturing an animal and thoroughly cleaning and gutting it, the Indians placed it in a deep pit lined with stones and covered with green wood, which, when burned, would smoke heavily and add to the flavor. But first, the carcass was "jerked" with a sharp object to make holes, which were stuffed with a variety of spices. The holes also allowed heat to escape without loss of moisture.
The results were superb. The meat was not only wonderfully spiced, but moist and tender." (Note: Sugar Reef is a restaurant in Manhattan)

Seed and finely chop Scotch Bonnet pepper. Trim chicken of fat. In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar. With a wire whisk, slowly add the olive oil , say sauce, vinegar, orange juice , and lime juice.
Add the Scotch Bonnet pepper, onion, and mix well. Add the chicken breasts, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, longer if possible.
Preheat an outdoor grill.
Remove the breasts from the marinade and grill for 6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. While grilling, baste with the marinade. Bring the leftover marinade to a boil and serve on the side for dipping.
Note: Scotch Bonnet peppers, also known as "Habaneros" are the hottest of the capsicum peppers, they're truly incendiary. Substitute Serranos of Thai Bird Chiles if you can't find them.

You can never have enough of this sauce. If you want, I suggest making a double batch of the marinade. Save ½ of it just for using afterwards for extra dipping sauce.

If you want to just make normal buffalo sized wings, fry them up or however you cook them, then just shake them up in a large covered bowl with some of the sauce and serve.

This is a great thread. I had Jamaican neighbors when I grew up and their jerk chicken was absolutely amazing. I've been working on replicating the recipe but I can't get anything like it. If you go on Food Network's website and search "Bobby Flay jerk" you can get the recipes from his jerk chicken throwdown episode which are both pretty good.

While we are on the subject, I have looked everywhere but had no sucess. Where can one obtain real scotch bonnet peppers?

~Eric

In my opinion, its really hard to tell the difference between scotch bonnets and habenero's. You could try ordering some seeds in the spring and grow some of your own though