• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnnie Walker 15 year-old Vatted Malt

Ralph

I recieved a bottle of the Green Label from my niece as a Christmas gift. The Black Label was the dram that started my foray into Scotch whisky, but I was very disappointed in the Gold Label which I received last year, so I wasn't sure how this one would rate. The Green Label is a Vatted Malt (also called a Pure Malt) which means no grain neutral spirits were added. It is simply a mixture of single malts. Talisker from the Isle of Skye, Caol Ila from Islay, Linkwood and Cragganmore both from the Speyside Highlands make up the majority of the whisky.

Caol Ila and Talisker have always been favorites of mine and the Cragganmore 12 has been growing on me like a fungus lately, so it's no wonder that I've enjoyed this one. This Scotch is rich with honey and smoke which reminds me of the Black, but it's much smokier/peatier, and it's a little bit smoother. It has a subtle buttery finish which is very pleasant, unlike the overwhelming buttery flavor in the Gold Label that I didn't care for.

It's very nice Scotch and I will probably pick up a bottle to drink with friends that can't handle the peaty Islays that dominate my cupboard. It retails here in CT for around $40.

Although I didn't smoke with it, if I had to pick a cigar to go with it, I'd go with either a Choix Supreme or something in the regular Cohiba line. Something creamy!

I received a bottle of it for my birthday last year and I thought it was definately a big step up from the black!

This was the first review I did over 2 years ago before Green label was released in the US. Smoking a cigar changes the tasting considerably as it is really better then my review would lead one to believe. Good job and I hope to see more of your reviews.

Are there two different labels now for the "green label"? While at a duty free shop (outside the US) recently I had seen the 15 year JW, and the label was green but it wasn't called "Green Label". Then a few weeks later back in the US I found the "Green Label" at a shop that looked essentially the same.

At the duty free in the Bahamas the Green Label was $30, but two months earlier in the duty free in Belize I got the Gold Label for $31. So I passed on the green label for now. I'm still waiting to find a screamin deal on Blue. i.e. around $100

The DF versions didn't say Green Label on them originally. I don't know if that has changed or not.

Gonz said:
Are there two different labels now for the "green label"? While at a duty free shop (outside the US) recently I had seen the 15 year JW, and the label was green but it wasn't called "Green Label". Then a few weeks later back in the US I found the "Green Label" at a shop that looked essentially the same.
[snapback]270598[/snapback]​

on my way out of the country just recently, i noticed that the duty free shop had side by side, both the jw pure malt/green box and the jw "green label". as expected both were the same price, but afaik only the "green label" is available for regular sale in the us.

AVB said:
This was the first review I did over 2 years ago before Green label was released in the US.  Smoking a cigar changes the tasting considerably as it is really better then my review would lead one to believe.  Good job and I hope to see more of your reviews.
[snapback]270584[/snapback]​

Thanks AVB, I always look for your review before I put up one of my own. I like to see how others perceive the same dram.

My next one will be The Balvenie 15 Single Barrel. I usually do three tastings before I post a review. I have one left.

Would you believe that's the only Balvenie I haven't reviewed!

I am Just not a fan of Johny walker anything although havent tried the blue or gold.