• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny Walker Gold - A review

thejollyco

The Jolly Company
Here's my second review.

Look- It looks awesome

Smell- Well, there's definitely the smell of oak and smoke, but there's caramel undertones to it. It smells slightly sweet. I wish I had a better nasal receptor.

Taste- Well, this is different than the Johnnie Walker black. While I feel black has more of a darker/woodier taste, this is slightly lighter. The initial sweet taste is bombarded afterwards with a taste of peat, oak fruit, and some other spice I can't seem to put my hand on.

Finish- The spices linger and since it's JW Gold, the harshness of the spice is mellowed out . I feel like there's almost a meaty aftertase, with the lingering of honey.

While drinking this, it went down the wrong tube, and I choked a little. It was a spicy taste but it felt nice. I don't know why i'm including it in this review, but it happened.

THe website says to take the bottle and freeze it for 24 hrs before drinking. I did this, but I let it thaw out completely for about a week before drinking it. But that's mainly becuase I forgot about it and I was busy doing school work.

And again, I drank this neat out of a shot glass.

Here's my second review.

1) While drinking this, it went down the wrong tube, and I choked a little. It was a spicy taste but it felt nice.

2) THe website says to take the bottle and freeze it for 24 hrs before drinking. I did this, but I let it thaw out completely for about a week before drinking it. But that's mainly becuase I forgot about it and I was busy doing school work.

1) This statement made me laugh out loud. ???

2) I have read that as well but was always afraid it might do something bad to the remaining whisky.

LIke you I enjoy Johnnie Walker Gold but there are quite a few out there in this price range that I like better.
Thanks for posting your review.

Thanks for the review.

I had a bottle of this, that I did keep in the freezer. Good advice, imo. Goes down smoothly!

2) I have read that as well but was always afraid it might do something bad to the remaining whisky.

LIke you I enjoy Johnnie Walker Gold but there are quite a few out there in this price range that I like better.

I went to a Johnnie Walker tasting event a couple years ago and they let us have some of the Gold right out of the freezer. It was very good. It's actually how they recommended serving it.

I did try some of it right outside the freezer before. It was nice, but I feel it lacks some of the flavor and complexity of it when it's room temp.

I went to a Johnnie Walker tasting event a couple years ago and they let us have some of the Gold right out of the freezer. It was very good. It's actually how they recommended serving it.

To clarify what I meant: I was talking about what might happen to the whisky after you take the bottle out of the freezer and put it back on the shelf for 6-12 months.

Tried the black,green and the blue. I guess the gold is next

I've only had the black and the gold. I actually preferred the black. The gold tasted like I was chewing on a tree. I'm curious about the blue now.

I drink a lot of the black but the green is my favorite , have not had the gold or blue yet ( because of price , bloody taxes ) maybe i will try some at xmas if I am lucky.

Way back about 6 years ago I did a review of the gold. I didn't believe them then about freezing it and I still don't. Cold kills your taste buds ability, You can drink Coors ice cold without gagging (which might explain its popularity).

My two favorite JWs are the Blue and Gold. Like MadMonk I store my JW Gold in the freezer. While I agree with AVB that when freezer cold, it loses some of the complexity you get when you drink it at room temp or with a little ice...I find that you get a very unique flavor. Honestly it tastes almost nectarish to me with a honey type finish. Simply amazing. Nothing else out there like it, at least none that I have found.

I've also trie the black,geen and the blue,gusse the gold is next.