• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jose L. piedra Blend

LarryH

Stogiesaurus
I've smoked a lot these over the years. They've always been a good inexpensive consistent smoke and one I would go to when I needed a confirmation that my taste wasn't off. The sticks from last box that I bought have been subpar. I've even thought I tasted the cheap NC profile that I never get from Cubans. A buddy of mine has also been saying his have been terrible.

Does anyone know if they've change the blend or started using NC tobacco?

Thanks,
Larry

Larry, I used to smoke them but I haven't had one in a very long time. Going out on a limb here and taking a guess...we do know that the tobacco crops on the island have been poor for several years now. It's starting to really show in production cigars from the island. Of course there are rumors from some very reliable sources that they are importing tobacco from other locales, just to keep up with the demand. Since JLP is and has always been a bargain brand, I'll bet they have to buy some really bottom of the barrel leaf to maintain their price point. Lots of assumptions, speculation, and guessing there, but the pieces fit. Might try a couple five packs from a different source before you throw in the towel on an old favorite. I always enjoyed the ones I smoked.

Thanks for the response. I saw a post on here a while ago about the rumors. Based on my recent experience I'm about convinced that the rumors are true. Now to find a reasonable replacement.

Thanks for the response. I saw a post on here a while ago about the rumors. Based on my recent experience I'm about convinced that the rumors are true. Now to find a reasonable replacement.

Realize I'm a little late to reply, but I also like JLP cigars. Bought some in the airport in Havana in June. Two I smoked were plugged. Will leave them in the humidor for a month or two to see if that changes.