• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jose Marti Cuba Libre

emodx

Banned
I picked these up at the JR store in Selma back in September. The in store special was a 2 pack of these for 3 bucks. Pulled the trigger on 3 of them for the hell of it. Figured if I didn't care for them, I could always use the glass tubes. Well, I am down to 2, and have enjoyed all 5 of them (got 1 in my last pass).

APPEARANCE: This was a nice looking cigar. Clean lines and a nice looking wrapper were it's strengths. The wrapper was had a couple of veins slightly larger than the rest wich detracted from appearance. A couple small stems were apparent under the wrapper. The cap was evenly applied. 17/20

CONSTRUCTION: Pre-light construction of this cigar was pretty darn good. With exception to the head, the cigar was firm, and slightly giving when gently squeezed. The head on the other hand was quite firm and ungiving. Pre-light draw confirmed a fairly tight draw.The clip went fine and I toasted this baby up. The light went well, except for a minor run that I easily fixed with minimal effort.
The cigar burn't fairly evenly, but never had that straight burn. Nothing major though, just one of those things you notice. The draw was tight for the first 1/3, but produced adequate smoke. After the first 1/3 it did open up somewhat to produce plenty of smoke. The cherry wanted to cone for most of the smoke. Nothing too bad, but required more attenion than one might want to give. The ash was grey-dark grey and kinda flakey. It did start to burn slightly uneven towards the last 1/3. 17/20

FLAVOR: Smooth, light bodied tobacco flavors were defiantely the theme for the first 1/4 of this cigar. The second 1/4 was a medium bodied tobacco flavor which picked up a slightly nutty flavor. Nice cool smoke. Picked up strength in the second 1/2, which was nice. The last half was a smooth transition into a medium bodied nutty, slightly spicey flavor. Nothing too complex, but a nice complent to a medium bodied cup of java. Wish it was more consistant from begining to end. 43/50

OVERALL ENJOYMENT: This is the perfect cigar for a long morning smoke. Especially if you are kinda busy making phone calls, driving out of or into the city during traffic, or maybe out on the driving range. Because of the coneing of the cherry, this cigar lasted for a full hour and fourtyfive minutes. The price versus enjoyment of the cigar put it up there as a goto cigar for a long morning smoke. If it wasn't for the flakey ash and coneing it would have ranked much higher in my book. 7/10

84/100

Emo

Great review, Emo! It's good to see a detailed, in-depth look at a cigar from someone who can articulate their feelings about something.

:D

Yeah Emo, nice review. :thumbs:
I have about 6 or 7 left of the cedar tube ones. I acquired a couple boxs of em' a year ago and smoke em' now and then. Nice smoke and great flavor.