• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

JR Alt's Bolivar Corona

thejollyco

The Jolly Company
I bought a bundle of these at jr's. Actually, i bought it because i am poor, and i actually read semi-decent things about this particular cigar. I was going to buy a few five packs after this, but i just found out about jr's magical way of convincing you to spend more money. After i put them in the cart, i was offered a "Bonus buy" of 10 robusto cigars. It was a special sampler of robustos, 1 regular monte, 1 monte afrique, 1 monte series v, 1 monte platinum, 1 monte white, 1 trindad, 1 henry clay, 1 r&j maduro, 1 r&j vintage, 1 h uppman. All of these are robustos (robustos and coronas are my fav size), was only for 30 bucks. Anyways, i spent more than i thought, but i got a pretty darn good deal out of it. The robusto box also gave me a coupon of $10 off my next purchase of 4 brands of altadis usa cigars from JR. On with the review.

I was psyched up for a smoke because i haven't had one in a while. Since this is made from different places, it's hard to nail down exactly. The main taste that i got out of it was Dominican with a hint of nic, but the website (which i just checked) said it had hondouras as well. The draw was decent and consistent without any flaws. The initial smoke was a smooth, slightly nutty and boring smoke. Pepperiness(sic) kicked in after a couple of draws, which was a nice bonus. The lighting of the cigar was decent, and it was able to correct itself after a bit (there was wind in the air, which we'll go into later).
So, a bit before a quarter of the way in, and i was actually loosening up to this smoke. Then this weird ammonia taste kicked in with a tangy aftertaste. I pondered whether i should give up. I decided to go on because, hey, i dont' get to smoke cigars as *edit* often as*/end edit* i used to. After a few puffs, the ammonia wore away to this awesome buttery taste. The taste was like there was a party in my mouth with a bit of a buttery texture and taste, a bit of pepperiness, a hint of nut, and some coffee flavour (i like to spell stuff with 'u' because it looks fancier). Anyways, this lasted 2/3 of 1/2 of the cigar. So it was like 2/5 of the whole cigar.
Towards the end of the butteriness, i tasted some more ammonia, and it became a bit stronger, then let off. Now the taste was more of a coffee taste with a bit of a peppery taste and a hint of nut. This part reminded me of a monte 4's (from... you know where) middle part of a cigar where things are intensified. After a little while of that taste, the cigar kind of went kabonkers where basically, i felt that the cigar was nearing the end of its narration of its fantastic, but flawed journey.

This cigar wasn't bad at all. I was surprised by the complexity of the cigar. I feel that if the cigar sits in the humidor without its cello on for a couple of months, this cigar might turn out to be a good investment. Hopefully, it'll get rid of the semi-pugnant ammonia taste. I'm pretty sure it will. Also towards the end of the cigar, the burn was starting to become fairly uneven. This could have been due to the fact that i didn't let it rest very much. The package came in today, and i couldn't wait to have a cigar (haven't had one in a few months). This doesn't really taste like a bolivar corona, nor was i really expecting it to. I was just curious as to why it got decent reviews, and now i know.

There is my review. Haven't done one in a while, so i hope that satisfied.

Nice review of a cigar I'd never smoke :D

-Sheriff Buck (thejollyco fanclub president) ;)

I've been wondering about these "alternatives" evrytime I crack open the JR catalog. My question is this:

I know they are cheap, but are they good enough to give to your friend?

I'll smoke anything half decent, but I wouldn't think of giving a dog rocket to my buddy.

indyrob said:
I've been wondering about these "alternatives" evrytime I crack open the JR catalog. My question is this:

I know they are cheap, but are they good enough to give to your friend?

I'll smoke anything half decent, but I wouldn't think of giving a dog rocket to my buddy.
[snapback]225989[/snapback]​

I have a handful of friends who never smoke a cigar except when they are with me and they are my cigars. That is what they generally get. Then if they get sidetracked and don't finish it, or leave it beside the green at the golf course 5 minutes after they light it, or set it on the edge of the golf cart and pull off and forget it ....

For those guys they are perfect.

Edited to add: For my buddies who smoke more regularly and appreciate a good cigar, they get my better stuff.

these are surprisingly decent cheap cigars.

good for the poor college student. now where's that other guy who's in the same situation as i am.

I hear JR Ultimates are worth trying too, especially the oscuro/double maduro ones. I think they sell a 5-pack of torps for $12. Just FYI, I haven't tried these yet, but they're on my list since my budget lies in that direction too.

thejollyco said:
these are surprisingly decent cheap cigars.

good for the poor college student. now where's that other guy who's in the same situation as i am.
[snapback]225999[/snapback]​

That would be me, I may have to look into these. let me know how how they do after a month or so of rest.

The JR Ultimates are a top of the line Honduran cigar for short money. I smoke the Cetros in double Maduro on the golf course, the tough wrapper holds up no matter how many times I toss it on the ground.

The flavor of the Ults has been very consistent for the last 20 years that I have smoked them. For less than 3 bucks a stick, they represent one of the best values on the market today.

If you can afford to spend the extra money, they are superior to the Alts in every way.

The Master said:
The JR Ultimates are a top of the line Honduran cigar for short money. I smoke the Cetros in double Maduro on the golf course, the tough wrapper holds up no matter how many times I toss it on the ground.

[snapback]226244[/snapback]​

That's freakin' great. Sorry, something about that comment just struck me as very funny. Anyway, back on subject. I have to agree, I think the Ults are among the best Honduran cigars on the market. I love the Principales and Cabinet Belicosos in oscuro. I always keep some around.

just had another one, it kind of sucked. it also tunneled.

i dunno, maybe they aren't consistent.