• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

jr choice

Which would be better for an everyday (inexpensive) smoke?

• JR Cuban Alternates

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JR Alternates

• Consuerga

• Total voters
My experience with these cigars is limited
The one I like best so far is the NO. 73 PRINCIPALE :)

Bill

Pretty much ANY Connie as they all taste the same to me.

For not a whole lot more, you can find some nice MM Havanas for everyday smokes. My favorite is Quintero :thumbs:

coventrycat86 said:
Pretty much ANY Connie as they all taste the same to me.

For not a whole lot more, you can find some nice MM Havanas for everyday smokes. My favorite is Quintero :thumbs:
mm? whats that stand for?

Machine Made, which actually has two categories:

1. Machine Made
2. MMHF which is "Machine Made Hand Finished" like my Quintero Brevas ;)

heh cant even find anythin on those gars cc ony thing close is JR CUBAN ALTERNATIVES QUINTERO BREVAS and there only $15, would be scared to try em at that price

Start buying a bundle of Connies a month if you smoke about 15 yard gars a month. The hype that JR writes about them in the catalog is often correct. They are the holy grail for yard gars. Go over to herfers paradise and load up on them in trades. You'll get plenty already aged and a deep discount.

Emo

I have ordered a few of each when I started JR Alts some where tolerable ( Cohiba Drs ) some where just crap ( Mac Claybornes ) then I picked up some Connie #17M's big surprise I went threw them like candy :p , tried the #16s didn't like them as much but still a good deal as far as I was concerned

Can't believe Shadow hasn't chimed in on this thread, being the JR slut of the board. :p :sign:

Wascal said:
Can't believe Shadow hasn't chimed in on this thread, being the JR slut of the board. :p :sign:
Spoke too soon there Wascal! LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Shadow said:
Wascal said:
So that's why Shadow doesn't say anything when I criticize the ALTADIS takeover of JR! Trust me Shadow, it will never be the same! JR is ruined! :(

Oh yeh, bite me. :)

BACCHUS said:
Shadow said:
Wascal said:
Can't believe Shadow hasn't chimed in on this thread, being the JR slut of the board. :p  :sign:
So that's why Shadow doesn't say anything when I criticize the ALTADIS takeover of JR! Trust me Shadow, it will never be the same! JR is ruined! :(

Oh yeh, bite me. :)
I agree with you Will. JR has changed since ALTADIS stepped in, and not for the good either IMHO.

Just checked my ordering history with JR and I haven't placed an order with them since last summer when they blew out the 10 year old Dunhill Flor de Allones.
So........................................................

NAH, NAH, NAH, NAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

With so many people liking the connies, perhaps more could step up and tell which is there favorite, or any they don't like in that line.

The one Connie I've had came in a pass so I'm not sure which it was or I would play along. I am interested in picking up more one of theese days though.

One of the problems with the alt's may be that there are so many to try. Perhaps a little help there as well. A few people voted for them, so what are the good ones? Even if you picked Connies, perhaps there are some alt's you like as well, just not as well as the connies?

I have no false illusions regarding the alt's, but there are a few I was wanting to try just in the hopes they might be decent even if they aren't close to the original. I was thinking of trying perhaps one of the Ashtons or Hemingway's. On the other Alt's perhaps one of the Bolivar's, H. Upmans, or Ramone Allones.

Any additional input on the various versions would be appreciated.

I like the #30 Maddy in the Connies.

NO. 30 ROBUSTO
CG303 M 5.25 x 50 (25) $24.00

here's my favorite jr cuban alts:

JRLGC JR CUBAN ALTERNATIVES - LA GLORIA CUBANA CORONA - 6.12 x 49 2.00 $17.95 $35.90

JRPUC JR CUBAN ALTERNATIVES - PUNCH CORONAS - 5.62 x 46 1.00 $15.95 $15.95

JRSLPR JR CUBAN ALTERNATIVES - SAINT LUIS REY PROMINENTE - 6.00 x 52 1.00 $22.95 $22.95

gawntrail said:
PuroBrat said:
I like the #30 Maddy in the Connies.

NO. 30 ROBUSTO
CG303 M 5.25 x 50 (25) $24.00
What is it trying to emulate?
the data i have shows the 30M is the Epicure or in Punch, the Cor Gordo Deluxe and/or Gran Cru Robusto 5.25 x 50

Unfortunately, I haven't had very good luck with the JR Cuban Alts that I've tried. I've consistently had an uneven burn, difficult draw and they've tended to be very dry.

I have had pretty good luck with the Consuegras. I've tried about 4-5 different sizes (there's a Connie # decoder ring on the board if you do a search). My favorite has been the #17s which is a 5.5X47 HDM Café Royale or PGC Superior and the #9s which are 4.5X50 PUNCH/HDM/ULT Rothschild.

My experience has been that about 1/5 are just not very good, about 1/5 are exceptionally good, and the remaining 3 are pretty solid smokes. So, for the money, it doesn't seem to be a bad value. Smokes and Spirts seems to have the best price and variety of sizes I've found.

Mojo