• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just back from Jamaica, with cigars

bunyfreak

So, I talked to the owner of my local shop, and he said, "If you're looking for a good smoke in Jamaica, my advice, take them with you". I filled my travel box (8 sticks) and took off. Great smokes, (he gifted me two Opus X perfectos, among others, for a wedding present) but not cubans. So, I'm off to find an authorrized Habanos dealer, and I found a great one. Not only did the manager of the shop drive me back to my hotel (I taxied to the shop) to get the cash, he threw in a free smoke for the ride. Anyway, I bought a box of (Cuban) Cohiba Piramides. They were so nice about it, even took the wrappers off and bagged them up for the trip. Also, I was written a recipt for "Handmade Jamaican Cigars", stapled to a buisness card from the shop. They gave me the Cohiba box, and bagged up my "Jamaican" cigars. At $8 a stick, I felt pretty good about it. Seeing the same cigars at the airport in Montego Bay for $24 made me feel even better about it.

Anyway, the store is in the Taj Mahal shopping center in Ochos Rios, if anybody is planning a trip.

Btw, these cigars are GREAT.

Also, customs never asked about anything, just kinda hurried me through with everybody else.

And yes, I read the forum in the Cuban section about fakes and whatnot...even if these are fake, like I said before, they are GREAT smokes, real or fake, so the price I paid is fine be me, real or fake...*Shrug*
(edit for typos)

It sure was nice of that guy to take you for a ride... :laugh: :whistling:

:thumbs: Enjoy the smokes Bunyfreak! :thumbs:

I've been to that same store. It's on the second level right? The guy went through alot of trouble to show me receipts and invoices for all his cigars, to try and prove they were genuine. He ripped me on prices though, and I got a crappy humidor that doesn't seal.

I'm sure my wife and I will be back there again, and now that I know more about cigars, I think I could get a better deal. And be more knowledgable about what's real or fake.

$8 stick :whistling:

He sure went through a lot of trouble for ya. Even drove you back to get your money? Hmmmm.

As long as you like the cigars, smoke'em.

WOW to pick up a 20.oo EL smoke for only 8.00 now that is the deal of the century..

bunyfreak said:
even if these are fake, like I said before, they are GREAT smokes, real or fake, so the price I paid is fine be me, real or fake...*Shrug*

Damn fine point!

i had 4 fake cohibas that i bought in mexico. two were really great. but the were short filler. the two that were long filler were really nasty.

If you like them and they are worth what you paid, in your eyes, that's great. But, that shop does not sell legit Habanos and neither does any of the shops in the tourist areas of Jamaica. You may find a machine made box here or there that is indeed legitimate. But, a long-filler Havana is next to non-existant at those type of stores. Jamaica is about third in line for counterfiting Havana cigars. Mexico and Eastern Europe are just above them. I've been to all sides of Jamaica and have yet to find a shop full of legitimate Havanas. Personally, I go down to the old lady in the shopping area that has Margaritaville in it and have her roll me fresh Jamaican cigars, while I am there. Maybe not as good as some of the Havanas I trek down, but a nice change of pace while I am on the island.

I have also heard there are little to no real cubans in Jamiaca, but the hand rolls are worth every penny and have a great unique taste.

Gonz said:
I've been to that same store. It's on the second level right? The guy went through alot of trouble to show me receipts and invoices for all his cigars, to try and prove they were genuine. He ripped me on prices though, and I got a crappy humidor that doesn't seal.

I'm sure my wife and I will be back there again, and now that I know more about cigars, I think I could get a better deal. And be more knowledgable about what's real or fake.
[snapback]196516[/snapback]​

I was just in that shop a few days ago on my honeymoon. The guy was seemingly knowledgable, but I saw nothing real in the entire place (not that I am an expert by any stretch of the imagination). But most of the boxes did not have box codes on the bottom and those that did only had a month; no year.

I also went into a few other shops and found nothing that i was convinced was real (some were actually funny!!).

I was at the Sandals Grande Ocho Rios (which may or may not still be there by now if Dennis has his way) and they had two gift shops with small glass "humidors" (I use that for lack of a better word) with what appeared to be the real deal. Although I never pulled any out to inpect them further. The prices were astonomical; Jose Piedra for $8, Monte #2 was $26 and so on. But, there was also a nice population of beetles in the humidor was well!!

Regardless, I am glad I took CD's and MattR's advise and took my own supply! Thanks guys!!

I think the only possibility is that there may be a couple shops that sell authentic cubans as a third party. Maybe they purchase actual cubans from an authorized habanos dealer somewhere else in the caribbean, and then sell them at an extraordinary mark-up. Especially a resort like Sandals, I would think they wouldn't want the word out that they are gouging for fake cubans.

Perhaps like others have said, if you're going on a vacation for warm sun and blue waters, Jamaica is great. If you'd like all that, as well as some really good shopping, cigars included, you'd better try another island, maybe the Caymans.