• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just bought a corn cob pipe yesterday!

Joho

Hello everybody, I've been a member of CP for a bit now because I love cigars and a friend of mine recently suggested I try pipes.

I bought a corn cob pipe and smoked some aromatics last night and I loved it! I am looking to get into non-aromatic tobaccos and perhaps a nicer pipe when my budget allows it. :)

Very nice. Pipes and cigars, for me at least, are a very different experience. Welcome to another slippery slope! Ha :)

Very cool, I recently started smoking a pipe :thumbs: It is also great to throw the remains of a quality cigar in the corn cob and smoke it to dust! :love:

Very cool, I recently started smoking a pipe :thumbs: It is also great to throw the remains of a quality cigar in the corn cob and smoke it to dust! :love:

Huh? Seriously? ??? Doesn't sound appealing but...

Cool, take your time. It can be frustrating at first
laugh.gif

So far it's been awesome and a lot more affordable than smoking cigars regularly!

But I'm having trouble keeping it lit. Any suggestions or pointers? I've read several beginner's guides to pipe smoking.

So far it's been awesome and a lot more affordable than smoking cigars regularly!

But I'm having trouble keeping it lit. Any suggestions or pointers? I've read several beginner's guides to pipe smoking.

Here are few things that I have learned in my short time.
1. Make sure the tobacco is not to moist. Microwave an empty plate for about a 2 minutes. Take out and then put your tobacco on the plate for a little while.
2. Most important is packing the pipe. Do not pack it to tight or to loose. ;)
3. As your smoking, use your tamper very lightly once in a while to keep the tobacco combustible.
4. Practice, Practice, Practice. :whistling:

To dry my tabacoo, I usually leave it out a bowl for a few hours. For faster use, I sometimes dry in the toaster oven on some alum. foil.

Packing the pipe properly is probably the hardest, yet most important, part of smoking it. It just takes a lot of practice to get a feel for it. The best way I learned was by starting off with just 1/2 bowls. It was easier that way to get a consistent smoke.

Sweet, thanks for the tips guys!

I have another great day of pipe smoking ahead of me. :)

I usually avoid microwaving, etc my pipe tobacco... I think, for me, that I end up loosing some flavor this way. Instead, I just lay it out on a piece of paper that I folded in half and wait a few minutes. I let it dry until it doesn't clump together when I pinch some together. Sort of just short of borderline dry/crispy.

Taking some time to dry your baccy this way will help keep the pipe lit all the way down. In my experience, most pipes end up being relight once, or twice, or maybe even several times... don't sweat the relights. It's just a part of what it is. I think a lot of people stress too much over how many times they had to relight their pipe, especially when they first start.

For most pipe tobaccos, I just pour the baccy into my pipe (gravity fill method), and tap the bowl a few times to help it settle. Maybe sprinkle a little on top. This way usually provides a good pack for me... tight enough to keep everything burning, and yet loose enough to allow oxygen in between the tobacco pieces to fuel the ember's fire.

If you'd like a pipe tobacco that pretty much smokes itself (stays lit really easily), I recommend Carter Hall, found in most online tobacconists and usually around town in B&Ms, sometimes drug stores like Walgreens. Try mixing 50/50 Carter Hall and whatever you're smoking now, for a little bit of a change :D Www.tobaccoreviews.com is a great place to go to read up on pipe baccy before you decide to pull the trigger on something...

Corncobs are great! They'll always hold a special place in my heart.

That's my two cents... hopefully it might help a little... if not, feel free to ignore ;) Best of luck!