• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just payed my taxes and then I read this

zcigarman

I am so pissed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100407/ap_on_bi_ge/us_no_taxes

Holy crap, so that's the reason why I paid so much tax this year. I'm a 26 year old male with a spouse, and we live by ourselves in a condo we rent, and my damn taxes were as much as one month of rent. No freakin' wonder they were so sky high this year! I've NEVER had to pay this much, EVER. And nearly half get off free?!? Geezus...

I rather pay what I do and not have to try to raise a family of 4 on $50k. Yikes.

"The expanded child tax credit provides $1,000 for each child under 17. The Earned Income Tax Credit provides up to $5,657 to low-income families with at least three children.

There are also tax credits for college expenses, buying a new home and upgrading an existing home with energy-efficient doors, windows, furnaces and other appliances. Many of the credits are refundable, meaning if the credits exceed the amount of income taxes owed, the taxpayer gets a payment from the government for the difference."

I qualified for all of the above. I'm damn sure not about to apologize for not having to pay in this year.

I rather pay what I do and not have to try to raise a family of 4 on $50k. Yikes.

Some people have no idea (not talking about you directly Wisco), $50k/yr around my area is pretty decent money. I'm thinking median wage in my county is $26k/yr.

Some people have no idea (not talking about you directly Wisco), $50k/yr around my area is pretty decent money. I'm thinking median wage in my county is $26k/yr.

$26k per year per family? That's pretty bad. What the article was talking about was normally a two income family grossing $50k....not per wage earner.

"The expanded child tax credit provides $1,000 for each child under 17. The Earned Income Tax Credit provides up to $5,657 to low-income families with at least three children.

There are also tax credits for college expenses, buying a new home and upgrading an existing home with energy-efficient doors, windows, furnaces and other appliances. Many of the credits are refundable, meaning if the credits exceed the amount of income taxes owed, the taxpayer gets a payment from the government for the difference."

I qualified for all of the above. I'm damn sure not about to apologize for not having to pay in this year.

You claimed Jon as a Dependant didn't you?
rolleyes.gif

Holy crap, so that's the reason why I paid so much tax this year. I'm a 26 year old male with a spouse, and we live by ourselves in a condo we rent, and my damn taxes were as much as one month of rent. No freakin' wonder they were so sky high this year! I've NEVER had to pay this much, EVER. And nearly half get off free?!? Geezus...
Wait a few more years when you really start to make some money....doesn't get any better Pup!

When you start to pay in taxes what some people make in a year!....you'll be crying like the rest of us. Buy a house...quickly!

Last year I got the big chunka chunka change first time homebuyer's tax credit . . . this year, just the MCC mortgage tax credit and deductions for mortgage interest, student loan interest, and property taxes. I take the MCC credit out over the course of the year as an extra deduction (it's complicated, lol) so that reduced my inputs to about 2300 or so, with my "gimme back" right at 2K.

I can live with that. Can't do my own taxes anymore, but I can live with that. :laugh:

~Boar

$26k per year per family? That's pretty bad. What the article was talking about was normally a two income family grossing $50k....not per wage earner.

Median household income in the US is 50k. I know I would struggle raising 2 kids on that. But thats just me.

Edit because I read it wrong.

Geeez, that's about what I make as a teacher. I live a pretty good life on it as a bachelor but I can't even imagine supporting a wife and two kids on my salary.

Well, technically I can, but it means imagining my life without all the stogies, Scotch, and steaks. It's just too painful to contemplate! ;)

~Boar

Well there are several single income families around here. But you're right Jonesy, I looked it up and in 2003, median wage per job in my county was $24,665 and I'm pretty certain it hasn't gone up hardly at all.

EDIT:

According to the US Census 2000, median household income was $28,411 with median family income (I'm assuming 2 incomes) being $36,294

Sorry for the de-railment. I'll step off my soap-box. :sign:

Well there are several single income families around here. But you're right Jonesy, I looked it up and in 2003, median wage per job in my county was $24,665 and I'm pretty certain it hasn't gone up hardly at all.

It's the same here in my county. Freightliner was the county's biggest employer and NAFTA has them down to 128 workers making 8 mid sized trucks a day (they moved their large truck mfg to Mexico). Textile mills were the second biggest employers and we all know where that business has gone. We were a one income family for a while while my wife was out of work for over a year and a half. In order to survive, we didn't have taxes taken out of her unemployment checks. It's left bite marks in my ass, but That little bit extra per week may have been what kept my house from being forclosed upon.

The only reason I didn't pay this year was the credit I got for new windows and hot water heater (flash style).

I was just shocked to see that 50% of the people in this country pay no federal income tax. Now we want to add another 12 million through immigration that will never pay any federal taxes yet reap all the new federal benefits.

I have no clue why some Americans are bitching cause alot of these tax credits have been around for a long time with exception of the first time home buyers. Its only new to the people who didnt know, cause the media brought it to your attention. Learn how to play the game, and the game will pay you back.