• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just pulled the trigger on a new humidor

sinnyc

Tibi ipsi esto fidelis.
This humidor story starts with a motorcycle and a baby. Two weeks ago I was riding to work on my 2002 Triumph Daytona Centenial Edition to work on brand new tires, took a right turn 5 blocks from my house at about 15-20 mph, lost the rear end and ended up on my ass with the bike sliding down the road in front of me and a sore shoulder and ribs. I picked it up, rode it home with just the rear brake, and drove to the hospital. I was pretty sure I had broken my collarbone and some ribs. So was the triage nurse, the emergency room nurse, and the doctor :) . Turns out I seperated my shoulder and bruised the hell out of my upper ribs but didn't break anything. That was the end of the good luck.

Because the CE is one-year-only model, my insurance company decided to total it rather than repair it. Even though the bike is mechanically sound, the amount of work required to repair it would be too expensive for them, they said. So, I either had to turn it over to them and be done with it or keep it and go through the hassle of dealing with a salvage title. So, being basically a lazy bastard, because I have four other bikes, and because my wife is having our first baby (See that? This is where I got the baby into the story) in early September and we both sort of realized I don't need a sport bike right now with all of those baby-related expenses coming up, I told the insurance company to keep it and send me the check. It seemed logical enough - good, solid planning.

And then I thought. "You know, I could use a new humidor". Hey...maybe the good luck is back...

After running for quite a while with two Vinotemps, one desktop humidor with a Hydra, another with an Oasis, and a Coolerdor, I have run out of space yet again. Here is a thread with shots of my setup this past winter BEFORE I needed to put Coolerdor back into the mix.

I have finally reached the conclusion that I need to get serious :laugh:

So, I got off the phone with Matt at Avallo humidors a few minutes ago and have placed an order for an Avallo Triple D . Matt is going to build me a unit with partial-glass doors, pullout shelves, 2 extra humidity cans, circ fans - the whole shebang. It will look similar to the one in the linked photo. Since I will be keeping this unit on the first floor of my house, temp control is not a concern like it is in my 3rd floor office where my current set up is now. I should take delivery of the Avallo sometime in the beginning of August and already I can't wait.

My wife is OK with the whole thing since it will be a far more attractive piece of furniture than my current set up and I am finally getting the full, cabinet-sized humidor that I probably should have gotten a long time ago. I'll keep my Vino's up in my office (where I smoke) and use them with the trays I have as "ready" humidors for a selection of cigars I will rotate as needed. I plan to keep all of my full boxes and boxes for aging in the new Avallo - an out of sight, out of mind sort of thing.

- Tim

You remain my humi-god!!!

Very glad to hear you're pretty much okay after the accident. And congrats on the first baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim, I'm glad to hear you are okay. Somebody will have to be around to watch after your wife and Mick's kid. :sign:

That's a pretty sweet humi you're getting, and you know if any of your current stash doesn't fit, you can just send them south with the guys in Sept. Congrats man.

Tim - good news on the humidor; congrats - the guys at Avallo make a very nice unit.

....sure looks big now, doesn't it...??... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Nice humidor Tim and a nice story...so, who is marketing the book? :laugh:

Just kidding, glad to hear your shoulder and ribs are still in one piece.

Brian

That is going to be a very nice pick up...congrats!

Awesome Tim! I claim dibs on the humi when you outgrow it in two years.

I'm glad you were able to work something positive out of totaling your bike. :)

That's a beauty of a humidor! :thumbs:

We learn about this through a post? I feel so betrayed. Don't even try to sit next to me this Thursday.

Tim, I'm glad to hear you are okay. Somebody will have to be around to watch after your wife and Mick's kid. :sign:

I can explain everything.

Congrats on the humidor... and the baby too! I'm sure they will both be beautiful.

mac

Thanks for all of the good wishes, I'm healing pretty well. Seriously though, even at such a low speed my head smacked the road pretty hard. Without a helmet and gear it would have been a very different story.

Tim - good news on the humidor; congrats - the guys at Avallo make a very nice unit.

....sure looks big now, doesn't it...??... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.
LOL! Actually, it doesn't but I think it will do OK in conjunction with my Vinos. (I hope......)

Congrats on the 3D your cigars will enjoy it. It is what I have, see here.
Nice Anthony! They sure are pretty :)

We learn about this through a post? I feel so betrayed. Don't even try to sit next to me this Thursday.

I can explain everything.
Pfffft. Not a chance. She only goes for guys taller than she is and she's 6' 1". Even in a pair of Gene Simmon's crazy KISS boots she'd have you beat :D

- Tim

Tim a word of caution they do get filled quickly :(

gallery_1414_266_67510.jpg

Yes....yes they do (and there's more in there now than when the pic was taken):

full_humi.jpg

Congrats Tim, glad to hear you are ok. That'll be a great lookin' piece bro.

Pfffft. Not a chance. She only goes for guys taller than she is and she's 6' 1". Even in a pair of Gene Simmon's crazy KISS boots she'd have you beat :D

- Tim

:laugh: :laugh: Mick wearing Kiss boots!! LMAO