• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kalita Wave "Pour Over" Coffee brewer. A+

MadMonk

Just mentioned this to another member, and decided to post about it.

Kalita Wave. Makes a wonderfully smooth and complex cup of coffee. I bought the Stainless 2 cup model.
Cost of admission is a bit on the pricey side, but it is noticeably better than the other usual suspects in the pour over arena.

I am contemplating trying the larger 4 cup model in Ceramic or Glass, just to see if it makes a difference in the flavors. I may just stick with the Stainless though, as it the little one is excellent, and the older I get, the more I drop "stuff".

I use a fairly coarse grind, just a bit finer than what I use for my French Press. 
I like to try different beans with different brew methods. I often find that one I did not particularly fall in love with using the Press is quite excellent brewed with a pourover, etc.

several weeks ago, just bought hario pour over kettle, and Bee House dripper to use while on vacation.

Picked that because it was the only thing I could find available locally before I left on vacation.

Works surprisingly well.

When traveling by car, used to take a Mazzer Major grinder and Olympia Cremina lever machine. Did that the last five years or so, then decided just too much hassle.

Wow, that was quite a kit to lug around. That's what I call dedication. I did bring my small grinder a few times, but always some sort of pourover.
Some of my more recent hotel stays have had Keurigs, which didn't suck, but not as good as my own kit.

What sort of

MadMonk said:
Wow, that was quite a kit to lug around.
yep. We're picky about coffee. :rolleyes:

What are you using for a pitcher? 

I tried everything in the house, and nothing worked well without the long, narrow spout. Even when I got the Hario I had to consciously slow down.

I believe that while doing a pourover properly takes a bit of time it is probably one of the better and cheaper ways of doing great coffee.

Have to spring for great beans, though. Whatever way you go, the beans are where it's at.

Yes, I admit to being extremely picky about coffee. I indulge in few personal luxuries, but those that I do, I have high standards. I have a Capresso kettle that I can set to temp. The Hario bottom mounted spout works better, but I have figured out how to keep things gentle without disturbing the bed too much. I like that I can set the temp. and keep placing it back on the base to keep the water at temp between pours. My big grinder is a Baratza. Excellent for courser grinds. I really don't do a lot of Espresso but it is definitely adequate for espresso. The little mill that I've taken on trips is an old Braun that refuses to die. Thing has to be 15 yrs old.

The beans are paramount. I've had real good luck with Cush Coffee. The owner roasts in small batches, uses high quality beans, and customer service has been exemplary. I get the least tannic flavors from his beans than anything else I've tried. I do wish he stocked more Guatemalan beans which are about my favorite sanely priced beans. 

MadMonk said:
My big grinder is a Baratza.
the Baratz Vario is a great grinder. IIRC, has repeatable settings that are easy to return to which are really good for those doing espresso, pour over and whatever.

It was not available when I kitted out my coffee station. For the pour over, I am using a Mazzer Super Jolly.

I have been buying some ethiopean beans from a local roaster, Due South and have been buying red line espresso beans from Metropolis Coffee in Chicago for a while.

Have been using a Bonavita immersion filter holder (16 oz model) since last Christmas. My brother gave it to us along with a Baratza Encore grinder. The immersion filter holder uses a #4 filter and is a hybrid design between a French press and a pour through filter holder.
For thirty years of my career I carried a Melitta # 2 filter holder, small Krupp grinder and an electric kettle to heat the water. Shipping companies didn't providing decent coffee for a very long time.
For everyday brew we like East African, Sumatran, Red Sea, and Central and South American beans of medium roast.  We too are extremely picky about coffee.

I think coffee pairs well with a cigar.