• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Keep them in the plastic wrapper or not?

Mike $

Do any of you take your smokes out of the plastic wrapper they come in to store in your humidor? If so, what are the conditions for you to do so?

I've always kept mine in the plastic wrapper but, I know of some who take them our and store their cigars au natural...

What are the benefits if any of taking them out? Sorry folks a newbie asking questions.

Thanks in advance...

Mike $

To make a long debate short.. It basically doesn't matter.

Some will say that if you are storing multiples of the same type you can take the cello of and bunch them together to allow the natural oils to mix.

Some will say its better to keep them in the cello because it buffers humidity changes (like opening and closing your humidor).

Me, I say I'm to f'ing lazy to take them all out of the cello anyway. :D

There are arguements for both ways. Neither is right or wrong. Leaning one way or another will depend on your storage situation. If you have lots of storage room, and you've segregated 'like' cigars, some prefer to pull the cello. If your storage space is limited...cello deters 'marrying' of flavors.

But to me, nothing looks better than yellow-cello :love:

Occasionally, I'll ask my local shop to point me to the yellowest cello they have..and no matter what the brand, I'll give it a try. :)

I like leaving the cello on in order to protect your cigars from damage ;)

This is an often asked question; and I should know... I asked twice myself!! :p

Bottom line: I doesn't matter unless you're planning to age the cigars. In which case, leave them on. For me, I can't keep them around long enough for it to impact the cigars one way or another. :thumbs:

If you have plenty of time, search the archives and you can read for hours about whether to leave the cello on or off.

If that doesn't sound like much fun, I'l summarize for you:

It doesn't make that big of a difference either way.

I am going to go out on a limb and say it does matter and I'll tell why why I think it does:

Cello on protects you cigars from damaging the wrapper during handling/storage. Also, during long term aging, there are many people who have stated that cigars aged in their cello had more flavor whaen smoked. Now this was for cigars from the same box, some had the cello taken off. If you dont have a large fridgedor or several coolerdor's, that chance that anything get's aged past 3-4 years is slim. But if you do have something set up for long term storage, why take a chance, keep the cellos on.

Now cello off is something I know a little more about. I have bought a ton of cigars from JR's. I really love their customer service and price point. But with that, you know to expect cigars that are shipped wet. If I don't plan on letting them age, I take the cello off immediately. They tend to climatize much faster to the humidor, beoming smokable sooner. Also, sick cigars will get better faster with cello off. Habano's are not the only cigar's that have sick periods.

So there you have it. I say look at your situation and see how either situation will apply to you. Hope that helps some.

Emo

What emo said goes along with the "buffering of humidity" theory. That by leaving the cello on it deters rapid changes in humidity (like opening and closing of the humidor). I buy into that. I also buy in to the fact that the cello protects the wrappers. If my cigars come in cello I leave it on and it hasn't had any negative effects, so it can't be bad. Unless of course your cigars are extremely wet, or extremely dry, in which case quick changes in humidity would be desireable.