• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Keeping proper humidity levels

moki

el Presidente
I have a fairly large humidor with a number of drawers in it, and I've noticed that humidity does indeed settle down, big time. The top shelf of the humidor can be at 68% or so, but down at the bottom, it gets up to a whopping 75% or more.

What I need is a fan of some kind to keep the air circulating a bit. The humidity level overall is fine, it just needs to be evenly distributed. Does anyone know of any battery operated fans that could be put into a humidor to keep things circulating a bit.

I've looked at the Cigar Oasis products, but they require being plugged in, and I'd rather not be drilling holes in the humidor. I realize it comes with a ribbon cable, I'm just not sure it'd work in this particular humidor.

So all I'd really need is a fan to move the air around a bit -- preferably a battery operated one that turns on and off at various timed intervals. Anyone have any leads? Radio Shack had nothing.

The ribbon cable on the cigar oasis is pretty long and pretty thin. You might check with someone on just how long it is and make sure it wouldn't work for you before you discount it as an idea. I'm not sure I've seen anything else like your describing.

If you post a pic of the humi we might have a better idea of what you could use to move the air around.

12VDC Micro Fan

$11.99 Brand: RadioShack
Catalog #: 273-240 Model: 273-240
Overall size: 1.57"×1.57"×0.39" (40×40×10mm)

This coupled with a small timer circuit might work. It is pretty small. Perhaps putting a false bottom on the humidor. Put one fan on the right side and one on the left side. One can push air into the cigars, and the other could pull air down from the cigars. This would start a circulating air flow. A timer circuit could be made with an IC or two. 12v are required and I would not want to utilize valuable cigar space. A wall-wart transformer with a thin wire could be snaked into the humidor.

Anyway, I could go on for an hour.... :)

Willie

I use the Cigar Oasis Plus in my desktop humi, and it works very well. The power cable is extrememly thin (about as thick as two sheets of paper), and maybe 18" long or so. They sell longer cables also.

Another idea is a computer fan. You would need to drill a tiny hole, then fill in around the wires with something to seal it. This would be much cheaper than the Cigar Oasis, but if money is not an object, go with the Oasis. I love mine. I don't know of any battery operated fans that are timed, except large ones with 12volt batteries, which would take up too much room in your humi.

ShadMan said:
I use the Cigar Oasis Plus in my desktop humi, and it works very well. The power cable is extrememly thin (about as thick as two sheets of paper), and maybe 18" long or so. They sell longer cables also.

Another idea is a computer fan. You would need to drill a tiny hole, then fill in around the wires with something to seal it. This would be much cheaper than the Cigar Oasis, but if money is not an object, go with the Oasis. I love mine. I don't know of any battery operated fans that are timed, except large ones with 12volt batteries, which would take up too much room in your humi.
Looks like I'll see if I can find a CigarOasis with a nice long cord. I did try the mini fan with battery you mention, but I can't fit a battery in there that'll run it for any length of time. :(