• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Keeping pulled pork moist, freezing it, etc?

Gunpowder

Cigar Search & destroy V 1.20
I made the mistake of smoking 25# of picnics for my board picnic this summer. Now I am contacted to do some custom work for new years for a board member. Problem is I plan to be in Austin Texas on vacation.

Questions I have: I plan to do this prior to leaving and then freezing it. Not that I don't have some pulled pork frozen in my own freezer but what is the best way for them to thaw and prep it without it drying out? I hate to deliver a bad product as they want it for their New Years eve party.

We all know pulled pork is best served with a fork at the smoker :p

Thanks
Mike

I am going to resist the discussion about keeping your pork moist while pulling it and let others run with it.

As far as freezing your pork. I have had very bad luck with freezer burn when freezing pork mixed with anything containing salt. The only thing that works for me is to freeze it in water so air can not touch the meat. Adding water to the pulled pork would make it soggy so I suggest a zip-lok bag with all air removed inside another zip-lok bag with water in it and all air removed.

I freeze venison in water and it comes out perfect several years later.

Good luck

I will only need to have it in the freezer for about 2 weeks. I will be able to smoke it right before I leave. I think that maybe just double bagging it would be ok?

vacuum seal it. If they want to serve it as is no sauce, you can heat it up in boiling water right in the vacuum sealed bag. Works great, keeps the moisture in. That is how I tell people to reheat my ribs.

Some leftover BBQ in a crock pot with some BBQ sauce is pretty damn good too!!

I vacuum seal it. To reheat, let thaw then put a small slice in bag (about 1/2 in.). Heat in microwave 30 sec. at a time. After each time take bag out and work meat around in bag until its hot then let it cool down to eating temp. If you open bag while it's still real hot meat will dry out.