• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Magnifico

J-Rod

Well,

My local B&M got a couple of boxes of these in this past weekend in a couple of different sizes. Robusto and Toro I believe. Anyways, there were several of us regulars there, so we decided to fire them up while watching some college hoops.

The toro and robusto tasted very similar so I'll review both in one shot. Both had excellent construction, beautiful wrappers, and burned smoothly and evenly. There was plenty of smoke, and the draw was very good. I might have preferred a slightly easier draw, but that's just my personal preference.

The first two-thirds of the cigar tasted the same. The flavor was there, but not overpowering. It was not one dimensional by any means, but I would struggle to call it complex, or well balanced. With each puff, I felt like I was being teased. It was like the cigar was trying to give me this full bodied, complex flavor that was well balanced, but came up short each time. I was expecting more umph.

The final third things changed up a bit. The cigar became stronger, and the flavors more pronounced. I was finally getting what I was expecting from the first 2/3 of the cigar. It was a smooth flavor, almost creamy at times. It was not spicy at all.

Overall, the general consensus was that the robusto was preferred. The toro seemed to have an extra inch that was not necessary. I enjoyed the cigar, but was left wanting more. Perhaps because we were smoking something that was supposed to be a Top 10 cigar, this caused us to expect more out of this $8 smoke. Several of the guys at the B&M believed that these cigars would do well to age for a year or two.

In conclusion, I was left wanting more out of this smoke. It's as though it were trying too hard to be something it's not. None of us could figure out why it was in the Top 10 (assuming the rankings are based on taste, and not money spent). The next time I have $8 to spend, I'll probably just reach for a couple Padron 2000's.

Interesting concept. If you had smoked it and rated it without expectations, would you have liked it? I know I've had expectations ruin a cigar for me before, it's hard to not let that happen. But if you had smoked it blind, for instance, what would you have rated it?

Interesting concept. If you had smoked it and rated it without expectations, would you have liked it? I know I've had expectations ruin a cigar for me before, it's hard to not let that happen. But if you had smoked it blind, for instance, what would you have rated it?

It's hard to say what I would have rated it blind . . . it's certainly not a bad smoke at all. Even though my expectations were high, I'd still smoke another one. It's a solid $8 smoke. There are better smokes out there for the same price or less, but that's almost always the case, isn't it?