• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Aroma de Cuba

Roy R. Frush

Karaté?
I smoked a La Aroma de Cuba Corona yesterday. This cigar had a reddish brown wrapper and was pretty firm to the touch. The bunching was pretty tight, and I was concerned the draw might be impaired. The wrapper was a little uneven in color, giving the cigar a slight barber pole effect. To my surprise, after clipping the cap, the draw felt excellent. The wrapper was quite tangy, which gave some hints to the flavor bomb I was about to smoke.

Upon lighting, I found smoke production to be excellent. The flavor was very similar to the RASCC. It was full flavored, with very rich leathery and savory notes. Adding to the habano effect was the dark grey-black ash. I was very impressed with the initial flavors. Unfortunately, after about an inch, the flavors became dominated by an unpleasant sourness. Adding to that was the wrapper's seeming unwillingness to burn properly. Multiple touchups were required to correct the ragged burn.

I persevered through the funky taste in hopes that some of that initial magic would return. While there were moments when the tasty flavors would reemerge, overall it just wasn't cutting it. A little past the midpoint, I had had enough.

If this cigar could have maintained the momentum it started with, it would have been stellar. However, the troublesome wrapper will likely keep me from trying these again.